Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2018, 11:54 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

New Fish Advice Needed

Hello,

I purchased a pair of Onyx Clownfish for my first fish. I put them in quarantine and began observing. One clown would eat and was active, the other not so much. I used prazipro days later and continued to watch. A week later I lost the clown that wasn't eating. The other clown was aggressive towards it, I'm assuming because it was becoming the dominant one of the pair. The dominant clown made it through quarantine and into the display. I would like an ocellaris clown since they are cheaper, but how do I go about introducing this one to the display after quarantine? Will there be issues? Will it become another dominance ritual and then subside or could this turn into an aggressive fight? Can a normal ocellaris and onyx pair up? I'm looking for any advice.

Thanks!

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Easy E
Registered Member

You can't put 2 clowns in the same tank unless they are a verified mated pair. If they aren't then one will dominate the other and eventually kill it. That's what happened this time, and if you put another clown in there the same thing will probably happen again. Your next choice should be a completely different species.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 gal FOWLR w/15 gal above tank refugium, 10 gal nano FOWLR
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 03:21 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
You can't put 2 clowns in the same tank unless they are a verified mated pair. If they aren't then one will dominate the other and eventually kill it. That's what happened this time, and if you put another clown in there the same thing will probably happen again. Your next choice should be a completely different species.

Huh? Aquarists can't pair clowns?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 10:16 PM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

You can’t guarantee that any one fish will acept another, but usually if the new fish is smaller than the existing female they will be okay although there is usually some initial aggression. It helps if you have an acclimation cage to place the new fish in when you first introduce the new clown into your display tank. That way you can avoid nipped fins that often accompany the initial introduction.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Easy E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Huh? Aquarists can't pair clowns?
They can if they get 2 small juveniles and allow them to mature together. That does not appear to be the case here. The dominant fish is probably already a female.

Unread 03/27/2018, 09:17 AM   #6
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:

I bought one clown, year later I bought another and added it to the tank. They are paired up just fine. Saying you can't do that is just flat out wrong. People do it all the time.

Chris, I would suggest you buy the smallest clown you can at the LFS. This increases the likelihood that you buy a juvenile and don't end up with two females fighting it out. And an Onyx is an occelaris, just a color variant. You can get a regular looking one and it can pair up just fine. My pair is a misbar and Wyoming White.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 09:41 AM   #7
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
an Onyx is an occelaris, just a color variant.
Actually I believe that an Onyx is a percula, not an ocellaris. Having said that, perculas and ocellaris are very closely related and pair/hybridize regularly. I don't know if they pair as easily as two that are the same species -- would love to hear someone with more knowledge than I have answer that.

Unread 03/27/2018, 09:50 AM   #8
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
Actually I believe that an Onyx is a percula, not an ocellaris. Having said that, perculas and ocellaris are very closely related and pair/hybridize regularly. I don't know if they pair as easily as two that are the same species -- would love to hear someone with more knowledge than I have answer that.
Hmm, yes you are right. Not familiar enough with all the different colorations I guess. Luckily, a run of the mill percula isn't all that pricey either.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 03/27/2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Chances of pairing increase when the new entry is much smaller, of the same species, and of the same colour pattern. We do it all the time...no trick....just common sense.
If you leave just one in your tank for a couple of months, it is
or will be a female....then you just add ONE of the same about an inch, this will work most times, or separate for 48 hours and reintroduce...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 09:18 PM   #10
Easy E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
I bought one clown, year later I bought another and added it to the tank. They are paired up just fine. Saying you can't do that is just flat out wrong. People do it all the time.

Chris, I would suggest you buy the smallest clown you can at the LFS. This increases the likelihood that you buy a juvenile and don't end up with two females fighting it out. And an Onyx is an occelaris, just a color variant. You can get a regular looking one and it can pair up just fine. My pair is a misbar and Wyoming White.
OK I shouldn't have said can't. I was wrong about that. I should have said you shouldn't put any two random clowns in the same tank. Being bullied to death would have to be a horrible way to die. It sounds like that already happened once and I didn't want it to happen again. The method you describe will probably work, but there's also a chance it won't.

Unread 03/28/2018, 12:20 PM   #11
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
OK I shouldn't have said can't. I was wrong about that. I should have said you shouldn't put any two random clowns in the same tank. Being bullied to death would have to be a horrible way to die. It sounds like that already happened once and I didn't want it to happen again. The method you describe will probably work, but there's also a chance it won't.

Yea adding a tiny one definitely helps increase the odds. Oddly enough, that tiny one I added second is now larger than my original. I had gotten my first one so small it must not have transitioned even after a year alone. It was showing dominance for the first year of my new tank, then suddenly growth spurt out of my newer clown, it started pushing back for one ugly week. And suddenly they are fine again and it is almost certainly the female.

Tags
clownfish, ocellaris clown, onyx clownfish