Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2021, 09:42 PM   #1
erb
Registered Member

creating a fake reef tank

I have a 30 gallon fish tank with fresh water that was thoroughly nuked with bleach and then water changed a couple of days later . It has fake corals to make it look like a reef tank. There is no life, no living things in the tank. No skimmer and minimal circulation but it does have floss filtration. I want to prevent any algae from growing so the fake corals keep their color and the white sugar sand stays white.
How do i keep it this way? Add Bleach? Bromine? If so, how much and how often. Or, should i find some Chloramine and use that instead?
I don’t want the fake corals to lose their color so this has to be done carefully.
Can anyone suggest a method?
TIA

erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Low light to help with algae.
Try a spray of peroxide on a place you can sacrifice when it needs cleaning.
PITA to work on a tank like this,

Unread 09/05/2021, 12:54 PM   #3
VWD
Smelly fish

You will alway grow unwanted algae, the only way I can see keeping the fake coral clean is to periodically pull them out and bleach clean. That’s what we did before reef tanks with fish only tanks with dead coral. We had extra pieces always ready to be swapped out.,

120 RR Bare Bottom & 56 Bean animal connected to one sump. Life Reef external/blueline 40 HDX, Carbon reactor, GFO reactor, proton 48 led, 2 Kessils 160we tuna blue on 120 & 6 HQ t-5 on 56, b
VWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2021, 03:35 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

chlorine should work but it may bleach the color out of your fake coral over time....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2021, 08:37 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

That's why I suggested Peroxide as an alternative.

Unread 09/18/2021, 10:30 PM   #6
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Do what swimming pools do... low levels of chlorine. Maybe get a hot tub water testing kit.