Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2012, 09:22 AM   #1
C.Sharkdude
Registered Member

Feeding Young Lion

How often should a young(2") Antennata Lionfish be fed? Right now I'm feeding once a day a couple pellets of NLS or a couple frozen mysis.

C.Sharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 10:19 AM   #2
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Sharkdude View Post
How often should a young(2") Antennata Lionfish be fed? Right now I'm feeding once a day a couple pellets of NLS or a couple frozen mysis.
you will find most people on the forum with scorps and lions will feed 2-3 times a week. they have slower metabolism.

if you can get yours to eat those pellets and mysis thats a great start. most dont eat pellets(i.e. mine dont). you will need to vary the food. shrimp from the fod store. silversides. mysis. etc.

Lions, Groupers and Eels o my!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
DoubleM 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 10:31 AM   #3
C.Sharkdude
Registered Member

I started with pellets from the day I got him. It took only a day before he started to eat them.

Okay then 2-3 times a week then, thanks.

Unread 03/15/2012, 10:49 AM   #4
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Sharkdude View Post
I started with pellets from the day I got him. It took only a day before he started to eat them.

Okay then 2-3 times a week then, thanks.
congrats on the that. and your welcome

Lions, Groupers and Eels o my!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
DoubleM 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 11:18 AM   #5
sacremon
Registered Member

For a very young lion, the general belief is to feed them daily. Feed the fish until he has a bit of a belly bulge, not to the point where they look spherical. Once the fish gets larger (say 4" - 5" with the antennata), then cut back to every two days, and work your way to 2-3 times per week once he gets closer to adult size.

While it is great that you have a lion accepting pellets, they really are a predator, and pellets tend to be formulated more for the omnivores and herbivores. I would definitely add a variety of shellfish and marine fish flesh into the diet, available at your local grocery. Shrimp, squid, scallops, cod, salmon and flounder are all good.

Unread 03/15/2012, 11:48 AM   #6
C.Sharkdude
Registered Member

That's an interesting bit of info. Does mysis and krill fit the bill for flesh?

Unread 03/15/2012, 01:30 PM   #7
sacremon
Registered Member

Some of the experts here are leery of krill, saying it has been linked to lockjaw in lions.

Unread 03/15/2012, 02:07 PM   #8
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I tend to agree, with very young fish, feed more frequently, until a small belly bulge. Don't feed huge pieces. Pellets and mysis shrimp are a great start. High nutritional quality and variety is one of the best things you can do for your fish. I'd stay away from krill (anecdotal evidence associates a diet high in krill with a condition called lockjaw in lionfish.)

Try buying small quantities of fresh or frozen raw shrimp, scallops/clams/oysters/mussels, squid/octopus, small quantities saltwater fish such as tuna, salmon, etc. You can cut into small pieces and freeze small portions, or just switch what you feed on a regular basis. I have also found that feeding Ocean Nutrition gel cubes (they hold together when thawed) contribute to nutritional quality and variety. I'd keep offering the pellets, but also offer meaty ocean foods.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 02:58 PM   #9
C.Sharkdude
Registered Member

Wow, thanks for the info guys.

I only feed kill once a week(frozen whole to the sharks and gel to the lion). I'll have to pick up some variety next time I get to the pet store/grocery store.