Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2012, 09:56 AM   #26
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

I understand what your saying totally. but as for the hob i have no choice since that the tank i have isnt drilled. so if you could help me understand something. i think the only thing i need is a filter since i dont have a drilled tank then a hob. and light for the limited corals i plan to put. and a skimmer if needed for the 46. and the rock the sand. am i missing something or do i have the wrong idea of what is needed for a stable horse tank?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

JoeSpeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 10:23 AM   #27
rayjay
Registered Member

My first seahorse tank was bare bottom with the Hagen 802 power head with quick filter attachment, a mini power head, open ended air line, and live rock.
I certainly didn't "need" a HOB.
Eventually I built a DIY overflow and added a sump, moving the rock to the sump and keeping everything else.
DIY Overflow
Adding an oversized skimmer is a BIG plus as it removes dissolved organics from the water before they can be utilized by nasty bacteria.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 12:54 PM   #28
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

ok so would you think if i got a aqueon 55/75. maybe one of those little magnet powerheads one with really minimal flow. a skimmer prehaps a bak pak 2 or an octopus somehing or other... or if you know one thats better? and a light do you think that would be efficient?

Unread 11/16/2012, 02:48 PM   #29
rayjay
Registered Member

Can't help with any of that, I'm sorry. I've not had much experience with purchased things other than the Hagen power heads as I build my own skimmers and don't really have need of anything else.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 10:27 PM   #30
funkejj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpeez View Post
I understand what your saying totally. but as for the hob i have no choice since that the tank i have isnt drilled. so if you could help me understand something. i think the only thing i need is a filter since i dont have a drilled tank then a hob. and light for the limited corals i plan to put. and a skimmer if needed for the 46. and the rock the sand. am i missing something or do i have the wrong idea of what is needed for a stable horse tank?

We have a 40 gal tank that is not drilled as I said in my last post. We have a Hang on side skimmer a reef octopus. We do not have a HoB filter because in all reality that is what Live rock is for not a HoB filter. We have two 250 gph power heads in the tank. and a heater with a guard over it. So not trying to be a smarta$$ here but lets recap.

Needed
1. Tank
2. Live rock
3. Skimmer
4. one or two low flow power heads
5. optional heater

Not needed

1. Hob filter
2. canister filter

Your live rock will be all of the bio filtration you need once it is cycled.

funkejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2012, 03:29 PM   #31
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

what is the name of your skimmer because im trying to set up the 46nd im in need of a good inexpensive skimmer

Unread 11/17/2012, 03:37 PM   #32
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

And yea like i said im going to set everything up today and im going get the rock maybe about 20-30lbs im thinking or just enough to make a island in the middle of the tank. the sand. im going to go with your advice and not get a filter but i just need to know of a skimmer for im trying to do this in the next hour. and maybe any ideas of a power head im thinking one of them would work just fine depending where i place it. and the light i will get later i think im going with the d120 evergrow for the select coral i choose to have. please help soon and what do you think of all of this? thanks in advance. really appreciate it.

Unread 11/17/2012, 06:28 PM   #33
funkejj
Registered Member

Reefoctopus BH-2000 is the skimmer we have.

Unread 11/17/2012, 06:30 PM   #34
funkejj
Registered Member

Ok I have the smallest hydors they make that are like 240 or 245 gph. The skimmer I got here at RC used for about half of the price new. As far as setting up put rock and power heads in and start the cycle then get a skimmer and light ordered this week. I have the d120 as well love it but will change the layout next time as I wish it had a bit more blue.

Unread 11/17/2012, 07:19 PM   #35
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

is your skimmer loud and is there one less expensive the one i seen the one you have is like $370 and im going to set up right next to my bed so its gotta be somewhat quite.

Unread 11/17/2012, 08:37 PM   #36
funkejj
Registered Member

our horse tank is in the bedroom. The skimmer is quieter than the fan my wife runs at night for noise. I just googled the bh 2000 and new they are 190 or less from several stores.

Unread 11/17/2012, 08:51 PM   #37
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

oh ok thanks i just did too and i found it too. tgats because i looked on amazon and forgot google thanks though ill def. order it soon and as for that d120 u said something about it noy having enough blues do u not have the dimmable one? because thats the one i plan on getting i can dim the whites and blues

Unread 11/17/2012, 09:10 PM   #38
funkejj
Registered Member

Yeah I have the dimmable one. On my reef tank I build my led setup. With the d120 I chose one of the stock setups. I would have added more blues to do it over again to get the same color temp with intensity I want. It is purely a aesthetic issue.

Unread 11/17/2012, 11:19 PM   #39
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

without modding it out or you know setting it up yourself, is it a good light on its own?

Unread 11/17/2012, 11:33 PM   #40
funkejj
Registered Member

When you order it they email you with a layout diagram where you can customize it to your liking or use one of 4 default layouts. I would customize it more to my liking next time. Great light works great.

Unread 11/17/2012, 11:54 PM   #41
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

oh thats great to know. thanks ill keep that in mind when i order it. and btw where did u get it from because i was on some site called alibaba and now i went to order it and i guess its sold out. and as for the skimmer ive done some research and i know its only a $20 difference but what would be the difference between the bh 1000 and the 2000 ? im pretty sure im going with the 2000 just thinking ahead if i ever get a bigger but im curious.

Unread 11/18/2012, 12:04 AM   #42
funkejj
Registered Member

the skimmer is larger and the pump is larger. For $20 it is just dumb not to go bigger. I ordered it form one of the ali sites. I googled evergrow d120 back when I bought it.

Unread 11/18/2012, 11:43 AM   #43
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

yea i know dumb question. and another one for you lol i just found something called a seaclone scps 1000 know anything about it? its half the price and was wondering if it would do me any good? or should i just go big or not at all..

Unread 11/18/2012, 12:21 PM   #44
funkejj
Registered Member

A seaclone skimmer? Do a search on here you will find they are junk. Again the object here is to have a skimmer large enough for the tank. In my personal opinion I want something twice or more because I think skimmers are over rated by the companies that make them and by buying one double I know I will have a size appropriate for my tank

Unread 11/18/2012, 12:46 PM   #45
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

oh ok it says that its for up to 100 gallons and i have a 46 gallon but i didnt know the quality was junk. ordering the bh2000 as we speak

Unread 11/18/2012, 07:47 PM   #46
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

ok so skimmer is on the way the light i will get soon. so what do i do now. just get the rock the sand the water and let it sit? oh and i have to get the power head soon too and when i do ill put that in there too..

Unread 11/18/2012, 09:18 PM   #47
funkejj
Registered Member

Yep Rock then sand then add salt water. Place a power head and heater (with guard) if needed and cycle.

Unread 11/18/2012, 09:51 PM   #48
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

heater is optional depending on the temps right? and another dumb question lol but does it matter what order?

Unread 11/18/2012, 09:54 PM   #49
JoeSpeez
Registered Member

and if i didnt say it enough. Thank you very much i would have been very lost setting the whole thing up on my own... i will def upload pics to this thread once i can.

Unread 11/19/2012, 11:10 PM   #50
funkejj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpeez View Post
heater is optional depending on the temps right? and another dumb question lol but does it matter what order?

Yes Rock should always be on the bottom before putting sand in the tank. You want it to sit solid so it wont shift. And the heater is optional but if you are worried you will go below 68 then you should get one.