Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2015, 10:12 PM   #76
South City
Registered Member

If you watch the TV show Fish Tank Kings on Nat Geo Wild, Kara from KP Aquatics is the one who takes Francis out to find a 1.5' foot puffer for one of their builds.(Season 3, Episode 8) Her dad, Ken Nedimyer, is also on the same episode. He handed the business over to Kara so he could run the conservation non profit "Coral Restoration Foundation". They are fragging and growing coral on farms in the ocean to rebuild dead reefs.

South City is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2015, 07:38 AM   #77
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South City View Post
If you watch the TV show Fish Tank Kings on Nat Geo Wild, Kara from KP Aquatics is the one who takes Francis out to find a 1.5' foot puffer for one of their builds.(Season 3, Episode 8) Her dad, Ken Nedimyer, is also on the same episode. He handed the business over to Kara so he could run the conservation non profit "Coral Restoration Foundation". They are fragging and growing coral on farms in the ocean to rebuild dead reefs.
Thanks for that info. Everyone that I heard of that placed a coral order from them have been very pleased. I also hope to order gorgs and easy sponges from them.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2015, 07:56 AM   #78
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South City View Post
Good stuff and solidifies my decision to do business with them.

It looks like they ship on Mondays and Tuesdays, but it's Memorial Day weekend so I would guess it will be more like Tuesday which would be fine for me. I will have an order together and placed over the weekend.

Also, I am planning on finally buying a pair of H. erectus from seahorse source this weekend!

Unread 05/23/2015, 06:40 PM   #79
vlangel
Registered Member

O wow, you must be excited! I will be anxious to see everything.

Unread 06/03/2015, 11:20 AM   #80
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Hi, do you have am update? Did you get your horses?

SaltyMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2015, 03:37 PM   #81
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Sorry guys still no livestock due to other setbacks that got in the way. The tank is still running smoothly, however, and still awaiting its much anticipated tenants.

Unread 07/01/2015, 08:36 AM   #82
vlangel
Registered Member

Well, the tank will be good and stable for its tenants when they arrive.

Unread 07/23/2015, 03:59 PM   #83
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Finally there is some life in the tank. I received an order from KP Aquatics and am impressed by what they sent me. I ordered a few gorgonians and a tree sponge, and they all look real nice once settled in and are larger than expected.

Unread 07/23/2015, 04:02 PM   #84
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Unread 07/24/2015, 06:24 AM   #85
vlangel
Registered Member

Very nice!

Unread 07/24/2015, 02:53 PM   #86
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Very nice!
Thank you!

Unread 07/24/2015, 08:28 PM   #87
vlangel
Registered Member

I think I remember you saying that you plan to have the tank going a while before ordering the seahorses? So how long until you can get them?

Unread 07/25/2015, 05:10 AM   #88
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Quote:
I think I remember you saying that you plan to have the tank going a while before ordering the seahorses? So how long until you can get them?
I know it has taken me a lot longer than planned, but I'm getting pretty close. I think the tank has stabilized pretty well.

My last concern before adding seahorses is temp. I was hoping that fans blowing across the sump would be sufficient to keep it at or below 74, but now I'm pretty certain I will need to buy a chiller. Tank temp stays around 78 and fans bring it down a couple degrees, but not enough. During the winter months I will be fine but Florida summers are pretty brutal.

Any advice on a good chiller? Also, I need an ideal location for it. I don't want to keep it in the filtration closet because of the exhaust it will put out in that small of a space. The best place for it would be through the wall in the garage, but will that be too hot of a location? I've read that ideally you want it outside but it may not be feasible for me.

Unread 07/26/2015, 07:29 AM   #89
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstaricansrfer1 View Post
I know it has taken me a lot longer than planned, but I'm getting pretty close. I think the tank has stabilized pretty well.

My last concern before adding seahorses is temp. I was hoping that fans blowing across the sump would be sufficient to keep it at or below 74, but now I'm pretty certain I will need to buy a chiller. Tank temp stays around 78 and fans bring it down a couple degrees, but not enough. During the winter months I will be fine but Florida summers are pretty brutal.

Any advice on a good chiller? Also, I need an ideal location for it. I don't want to keep it in the filtration closet because of the exhaust it will put out in that small of a space. The best place for it would be through the wall in the garage, but will that be too hot of a location? I've read that ideally you want it outside but it may not be feasible for me.
My old chiller recently gave out and I bought a Coralife chiller to replace it. It has a built in temperature control that keeps it within 2 degrees. It is reasonably quiet as far as chillers go. Mine is a 1/6 hp and plenty adequate for my 65- 70 gallon system.

Unread 07/26/2015, 07:34 AM   #90
vlangel
Registered Member

Here is a pic of it sitting beside the cabinet of my tank. Although it's not beautiful it's not unsightly either and was easily plumbed into my sump.

Unread 07/27/2015, 07:07 PM   #91
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be buying one shortly when I find the best deal.

Unread 07/28/2015, 10:16 AM   #92
marco.sv
Registered Member

great setup, looks awesome!

marco.sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 01:49 PM   #93
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco.sv View Post
great setup, looks awesome!
Thanks!

Unread 08/12/2015, 02:52 PM   #94
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

I ordered a Coralife 1/10 HP Chiller that should be here on Friday.

I used this sizing guide to help me, so hopefully it will be strong enough. I'm pretty confident that it will work fine.
http://chiller.jbjlighting.com/prod_chiller_size.asp

Unread 08/12/2015, 08:29 PM   #95
vlangel
Registered Member

I hope it's ok. I used a Coralife size guide to choose. You have a fair bit more water volume than my system but your chiller is smaller. If it's inadequate it will run longer to get the temperature down that 2 degrees.

Unread 08/13/2015, 04:12 PM   #96
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Quote:
I hope it's ok. I used a Coralife size guide to choose. You have a fair bit more water volume than my system but your chiller is smaller. If it's inadequate it will run longer to get the temperature down that 2 degrees.
I hope it's ok also but I guess we will see. I should have followed the tank size suggestions for Coralife chillers and not JBJ. I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days.

Unread 08/17/2015, 10:24 AM   #97
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

I'm also confused by Coralife's tank size suggestions. On the box it says for tanks up to 55 gallons, but if you look on the back of the chiller it says up to 75 gallons which is kinda weird.
I should have time to hook it up today so that will let me know if it will be sufficient.

Thanks for reading!

Unread 08/19/2015, 03:56 PM   #98
blazend
Registered Member

Very impressive tank you have there.

I am a huge fan of seahorses and i have 4 Erectus currently. Let me know if you have any questions along the way! I will follow along

42 Gallon Half Moon

btw they love the sponges

blazend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2015, 07:50 PM   #99
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazend View Post
Very impressive tank you have there.

I am a huge fan of seahorses and i have 4 Erectus currently. Let me know if you have any questions along the way! I will follow along

42 Gallon Half Moon

btw they love the sponges
Thank you. Your tank looks pretty nice as well.
That's a huge sponge. What do you feed it?

Unread 08/20/2015, 04:09 PM   #100
blazend
Registered Member

So i feed this tank very often, hence the hair algae. Maintenance on this tank is tough cause of the deep tank. I feed hatched baby brine three times a day. Also a late night snack the tank gets Brine, beef heart mixed flake food from brinedepot and i use a turkey baster for target feeding of mysis shrimp and brine frozen food.

Every third day i use photoplankton. You cant see it but there is actually an upside down jelly that lives behind the rocks in the back right corner. The sponge and him survive from the photoplankton.

blazend is offline   Reply With Quote