Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2006, 03:38 PM   #76
whatnot45
Registered Member

The cleanup crew if I order this weekend wont get here much before thursday of next week anyways, and I do not plan on having any horses until at least the end of december....

whatnot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2006, 07:24 PM   #77
whatnot45
Registered Member

so it is here I tested all my water perameters before putting in the critters, and they were as follows:
Amonia: 1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Unread 09/13/2006, 08:36 PM   #78
pledosophy
Registered Member

Your ammonia is at 1!

That is not very cool. You need to get some amqel or something to neatralize the ammonia or else you will be replacing that crew very soon.

Unread 09/13/2006, 08:51 PM   #79
whatnot45
Registered Member

OOO!! woops lol sorry I meant to say it was at 0.1 ha ha sorry bout that.

Unread 09/15/2006, 06:05 PM   #80
whatnot45
Registered Member

Well all is going well! the hair algea is 99% gone! and I am having to feed my clean up crew dried seaweed because there is not enough algea on the rock for them! Im going to be getting some more rocks soon so that should help.

Unread 09/23/2006, 10:25 PM   #81
whatnot45
Registered Member

ok well all is well, except i have a huge problem with these dark green/black diatoms that are all over the sand and decore. I siphoned them out yesterday and did a 25 percent water change, but they are starting to grow back

Unread 09/29/2006, 08:03 PM   #82
whatnot45
Registered Member

I finally did that trip to the LFS today and got 2 more small pieces of live rock. That is about as much as Im going to be getting. One of the pieces is a dead branching coral, I want to say tonga branch,but it just dosnt look like it. The other is a normal piece with a ton of coraline growing in coral like structures...
I would poste pics, but the latter is sitting in a small container with my peppermint shrimp because it has a few aiptasia anemone's on it. I got kalk, but i cant use it because i dont have a seringe. I went to a pharmacy to try and get one, but they wouldnt sell me one (i guess i look like a drug addict...) any ways My peppermint shrimp cleaned my other live rock of aiptasia so im hoping they can do this one too.

Also, there is this crab living in it that i found eating my claurpa. I havnt seen the crab, just the claw poking through a hole taring apart my macro algea so ill be getting him out of there soon as well.

When I get the rock back in there, ill post some pics. BTW my diatoms are going away. YAY!

Unread 10/17/2006, 04:00 PM   #83
whatnot45
Registered Member

Ok I have pics! So these are pics just after I re aquascaped and pulled out about 2 handfulls of calurpa from the main display.

jawfish tank mate to be

Im going to be getting The first seahorses sometime this week! Im getting 2 OR sunbursts( H erectus)

Unread 10/17/2006, 05:15 PM   #84
CHAOSTACTICS
Moved On

mighty fine tank you have there

CHAOSTACTICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2006, 09:20 PM   #85
whatnot45
Registered Member

Ok I oredered them! they are going to get here sometime between wedensday or thursday of next week! 2 OR sunbursts + a reef ball to get a culture of pods going in the fuge because i havn't seen any. I also put on a small whisper power filter for mechanical and chemical filtration. Its only 90 GPH, but i only need it to get rid of some of the debris that are floating around the tank.

Unread 10/26/2006, 04:11 PM   #86
whatnot45
Registered Member

OK! the sunbursts are HERE! I got them yesterday afternoon. I aclimated them and then let them loose... They started swimming around and exploring right away. I gave them a few red volcano shrimp which they at first refused to eat while i was standing there watching, but as soon as I backed away from the tank they began to hunt them down and eat them. This morning they had their first feeding station lesson. The male took to it right away and swam over and started eating out of it. The female, not so much; I had to scoot her over their gently, but as soon as she saw the mysis she forgot all about the hand in the tank. Here is a picture of them about 3 hours after I put them in the tank:

Unread 04/28/2007, 08:40 PM   #87
whatnot45
Registered Member

Here is a 6moth update: Everything is doing fine! Seahorses are active as ever, eat, swimming (trying to mate)... They are a LOT more lively than any seahorses I have had in the past.

The only incident that has happened with them is that the tank almost caught on fire about 2 nights ago! Some algae got caugt in the outake from the fuge, and it over flowed, The water spilled down towards the electrical outlets, and got soaked. My dog actually saved the day by waking me up I was fast asleep at 2am when it happened, and she barked at me and i woke up in time to see one of the powerbars spurting purple sparks all over the carpet, and the other one on fire. Today i got new power bars, and i was just Thankful that a the house didnt burn down, and B My seahorses didnt get electricuted!

Unread 04/29/2007, 08:57 AM   #88
fishymann
Registered Member

wow, your dog defintly saved your house and your seahorses! Dont be the cheap power strips, spend a little extra money and you'll be happy. Post some pictures man.

Unread 04/29/2007, 07:31 PM   #89
pledosophy
Registered Member

I go the Amercan DJ one for $30. Freaking rad to have a switch for every outlet. JME

Glad your house didn't burn down.