Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2014, 04:32 PM   #1
markable
Registered Member

List Factors for Protein Skimmer to Overflow

Hi All,

I'd like to compile a list of factors that can cause a protein skimmer to basically overflow. This is AFTER the protein skimmer has been broken-in.

Here's a couple that I've experienced:
  • Water change (even with as little as a 10% change, and took about 4 hours before I could turn the skimmer back on)
  • Addition of 2 part alkalinity

markable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 04:35 PM   #2
m0nkie
Registered Member

Some chemicals react with the air that the skimmer produces and causes the skimmer to over produce foamate. Chemicals known to cause skimmers to overflow are, red slime remover, medications, reef/frag putties (epoxy Putty) frag glues, water conditioners, dechlorinators, stress coat, fresh filter socks, newly mixed salt, bacteria (seeding) additives as well as other dosing medias.

I got personal experience with epoxy.. skimmer went nuts until I did major water change

Unread 06/26/2014, 04:36 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Neither of those things have ever caused my skimmer to overflow. Typically it is the addition of anything that causes excess foaming - prazipro is the king in this regard, though some of the coral vitamin additives can do it also. I also have had issues with my skimmer overflowing when turning it back on again. The 2 part epoxy can do it also.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2014, 08:15 PM   #4
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Dropping a half used Crazy Glue tube in the tank.

Accidentally dosing Revive in the tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Indymann99
Registered Member

+1 on new filter sock... I now always wash new ones in the washing machine prior to use.

Tags
overflow, protein skimmer, protein skimmer help, protein skimmers