Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2017, 10:32 AM   #26
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
That makes me feel better. I really don't want cords from the light fixtures hanging down across the tank somewhere, so I'll be sure to put in an outlet over the top of the tank somewhere convenient. I'll have a GFI breaker for sure and probably the outlets as well in the room. Thanks again for your help.

I'll update again once I've got the tank delivered. Probably a couple of months from now as were still in the framing process on the house.
Are you planning on getting a tank controller? Especially for the lights this is a good idea. It may effect your wiring plans if so.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 09:41 PM   #27
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Down the road I'll look at an apex, unless Im just able to find a used one for inexpensive. I'll get timers for the lights initially. I'd like to learn the ins and outs of my first aquarium before graduation to an Apex.

What wiring would be good to be prepared down the road?

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:21 PM   #28
DEadsCSU
Registered Member

This is going to be fun to follow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEadsCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 01:34 PM   #29
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So I'm going to have a water line run to the closet. Is there a good recommendation on how to "stub" that out so it's ready for an RO/DI line?

Would a hose bib (like on an outside faucet) be good? Or is there something better to go for?

Thanks!

Unread 05/16/2017, 07:42 AM   #30
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Brief update. Drywall is in, frame for the stand is almost done. Flooring has actually started this week and trim should start by next week. I'm just waiting on the trim guy to add the plywood on top and make it level.

May be July before I can order the tank.

I may ask them to widen the center supports underneath, so I'll have better access to the future sump.

Y'all should be able to see the hot/cold water lines, and the floor drain.

If a Moderator needs to move this thread to the tank build forum, please do so. I probably won't update until the tank has arrived.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/18/2017, 07:13 PM   #31
Raptor72
Registered Member

I finally got the OK from the boss to do the same thing at our house so I'll be following along.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, Red Sea 170
Raptor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 07:20 AM   #32
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 View Post
I finally got the OK from the boss to do the same thing at our house so I'll be following along.
Awesome. I'll take a few pics tonight of the finished room.

I've been delayed for a couple of reasons. I ordered the tank shortly after the pictures above were taken, but I waited to set it on the stand as we still had painting and staining to take place. (We moved in just a month ago). I didn't want to cross contaminate the tank.

On top of that the tank had an issue on the bulkheads that I just got around to trying to patch last night. Long story, but basically one of the holes got gouged during delivery. I'll post a couple pics.

I'm going to order a pump and a RO/DI this weekend so that I can start setting up the mixing station. Tank will go on the stand hopefully next Friday when we have a bunch of friends over anyway.

From there it'll likely be a slow process of ordering the remaining equipment. Having just finished our house, there's several other expenses that may have priority (like a lawnmower, additional furniture). My goal though is to have a fish in by Christmas, but that's likely wishful thinking

Unread 10/19/2017, 07:23 AM   #33
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Awesome. I'll take a few pics tonight of the finished room.

I've been delayed for a couple of reasons. I ordered the tank shortly after the pictures above were taken, but I waited to set it on the stand as we still had painting and staining to take place. (We moved in just a month ago). I didn't want to cross contaminate the tank.

On top of that the tank had an issue on the bulkheads that I just got around to trying to patch last night. Long story, but basically one of the holes got gouged during delivery. I'll post a couple pics.

I'm going to order a pump and a RO/DI this weekend so that I can start setting up the mixing station. Tank will go on the stand hopefully next Friday when we have a bunch of friends over anyway.

From there it'll likely be a slow process of ordering the remaining equipment. Having just finished our house, there's several other expenses that may have priority (like a lawnmower, additional furniture). My goal though is to have a fish in by Christmas, but that's likely wishful thinking
Going to try for a steampunk theme in the room.

Unread 10/21/2017, 01:48 PM   #34
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Just have to set the tank on the stand in the next week. I've ordered a Panworld 50px-x and a 5 stage brs ro/di to get the mixing station started.

Hopefully the patch on the bulkhead works.

Unread 11/09/2017, 08:08 AM   #35
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So quick update, tank is on the stand and rodi is hung on the wall. Next up is plumbing for the mix station.

I have 2 40 gallon containers with 3/4" outlets. Will convert it to 1" as I ordered a Panworld 50px-x to use on the mixing station.

I've been reading a good bit on the saltwater mixing station thread, but my knowledge of plumbing is limited.
Can anyone tell me what is usually best to attach to the inlet/outlet of the pump, as in is it typically just a few inches of pvc, then a conversion piece then a union? Is it best to glue the pvc to the pump, or is that not necessary? I'd like the pump to be easily unhooked for cleaning and incase I need to use it as a back up later for the return pump in the sump. I'm just not sure what the best practice is.

Unread 11/22/2017, 08:06 AM   #36
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Got the mixing station set up and started my ro/di water last night. Next up will be getting a quarantine tank cycled once my test kits arrive Friday.

Now if only I can find a good black Friday deal on a ~40 gal sump.

Unread 11/30/2017, 09:09 AM   #37
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Figured Id go ahead and start a quarantine up. Cycle started Tuesday night. I did use some ammonium chloride and Dr Tim's bacteria. So far in testing the ammonia looks to be coming down, but I haven't seen a spike in nitrate/nitrites yet.

In other news, I've got to fix the bulkheads on my mixing tanks as I didn't use enough teflon tape on the threaded fittings. Fortunately they are both slow leaks, but need to fix it before getting the display tank set up.

Unread 12/21/2017, 12:51 PM   #38
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So after 3 weeks of cycling I'm still waiting for the ammonia to come down. Having used Dr. Tim's, I'm a bit disappointed, but I imagine part of the slowness may be a lack of oxygen, over dosing ammonium chloride, or not enough surface area.

I have seen at least nitrates as well from testing, but I haven't tested it regularly as the ammonia still seems to be over 1ppm.

Unread 01/02/2018, 06:26 PM   #39
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Week 5 update. A little progress, but still getting ammonia. I did double check the test kit with rodi water and it came out at 0 ppm/yellow tint. So it's definitely the tank just not completing its cycle yet.

Any suggestions on why after dosing some Dr. Tim's that it would still be uncycled?

Ill be ordering my sump soon and will get the plumbing in place on the DT. Hopefully the bulkheads will all seal properly on the overflow.

Unread 01/05/2018, 05:54 PM   #40
sde1500
Registered Member

That QT has no media for bacteria from what I can see. It will never cycle that way.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 07:56 AM   #41
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

I added an air sponge about 2 weeks ago. What else would you recommend for encouraging the bacteria growth?

Unread 01/07/2018, 08:57 AM   #42
sde1500
Registered Member

Time then. That isn't a lot of media for bacteria to live on. Will take time for them to colonize it. I know it's frustrating but slow and steady is ok.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 11:26 AM   #43
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Yeah, there's really no rush. I'm just a little frustrated as I expected the Dr. Tim's to speed up the process at least somewhat.

I was down to ~.3 ppm ammonia this weekend. Nitrite at .05 and Nitrate at about 5 ppm. It's getting there.

Also, I think both LFSs are out of clown fish at the moment due to the holidays, and I'm looking to buy from one or the other so I can see exactly what I'm taking home. At least for my first set of fish anyway.

Unread 01/23/2018, 08:24 AM   #44
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So it's week 8. I'm still at .1 ppm Ammonia and about .05 to .1 ppm Nitrite on the QT. It just seems to have stagnated again. Would it be reasonable to put a clean dish sponge into the QT for added surface area?

In other news, I received my Trigger Systems Ruby 36 yesterday, and a DC return pump. I'll start putting together the main display tank plumbing this week! Woohoo.

Unread 02/05/2018, 09:08 AM   #45
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Last week I attempted to test out the overflow on the main display tank and in the process begin loose fitting/sizing my plumbing. However, from the pics above you can see the damage I was dealing with on one of the bulkheads that occurred during delivery. I was unable to get that to be leak free after trying the patch and multiple ABS bulkheads. I contacted SC Aquariums again, and due to the damage they are kindly sending me a new 150 gallon tank. It arrives this week, woohoo!

In other news, my ammonia finally hit zero last week as well, so I went to the fish store on super bowl sunday and got a baby snowflake clown and baby regular ole Nemo. I'll be trying out the Tank Transfer Method for the first couple of weeks. And then I'll move them to my 20 gallon for a good extra quarantine period (until main tank is ready).

At this point, I'm hoping to have the main tank up and cycled by May at the latest (doing some heavy traveling in April, probably start cycling then).

So far the new fish were happily swimming around this morning and eating well after being pretty shy last night. I'm using 5 gallon buckets for the TTM. I will likely treat with Prazi on the 2nd session and 4th sessions. I have some extra equipment coming in on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I beat the 72 hour clock for the first transfer, otherwise I'll restart the first session on Wednesday evening.

Unread 02/26/2018, 01:27 PM   #46
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Update:

After testing out my initial 150 gallon tank, I couldn't get the damaged bulkhead to seal properly. The manufacturer (SCaquariums) replaced the tank. Great service by them.

Since then I've gotten the old swapped out for the new. I also did the plumbing last night. See pic. I decided for now to go with tubing on the return as I may add something more permanent later. (jaebo dc12000 return pump). I also have flex pvc straight from the union going into the refugium section for the E-drain. I'll likely trim that down later on if I like where it's at. Lastly the main siphon has the gate valve with one 45 elbow and the rest flex pvc to the sump bulkhead.
All three bulkheads looked good on a quick leak test. And all three bulkheads have unions immediately below which isn't visible in the picture.

In other news, I have 2 clowns in QT. Named them Fizzbo and Flash. I started with TTM on super bowl Sunday, and after 12 days moved them to a 20 gallon long QT. I recommend doing the TTM. It turned out to be pretty easy using 5 gallon buckets. I followed the sticky on it . Dosed with Prazi on two of the transfers.

One of the things it doesn't mention much is that water changes are acceptable, so long as temp and SG are matched. This along with Prime can keep your ammonia in control, especially if you have 2 fish in a 5 gallon. Feed lightly, siphon excess food, waste out.

Fish are eating well, seem to be healthy. I have one spot on the snowflake clown I'm keeping an eye on. It may just be a white scale, but it'd hard to tell and the one downside to starting with buckets is the lack of horizontal visibility so I have no idea of before/after. It's definitely not ich.

20 gallon long QT is cycled and doing a great job so far of keeping down the ammonia. I did a 20% water change on Saturday and will keep doing so until the main tank is ready.

My next steps are hanging lighting above the tank, and ordered rock, sand, and the skimmer. Hope to be running main tank and cycled by end of April.

Unread 03/29/2018, 07:16 PM   #47
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Update:

Rock, sand, salt, pumps, and a light are all in. Planning to start the cycle on Saturday night.

I used 130 lbs of reefcleaners rock.
140 lbs of Marco Bahama sand

Definitely wash that sand out if you get it. I did and haven't seen any cloudy dust issues. Was worth the few hours it took. It looks tan in the pictures, but with the lights on it looks white and pretty nice.

Reefcleaners was great customer service. The rocks look good in the tank. I'll probably supplement it with some pukani or some local fish store live rock later to bring me closer to 1lb/gallon of rock.

I've done a power outage test, and will probably do one more after I reduce the volume some. Forgot that adding salt would contribute to volume . Tanks at 1.027sg right now. Will bring it down to 1.026 by time cycle is done.

Unread 05/16/2018, 09:07 AM   #48
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Update:

Ammonia was zero on 5/5/18.
However, my nitrites and nitrates were at 1.5ppm and 40 to 50ppm respectively.

I waited another week and did a 30 gallon water change on 5/11. This dropped my numbers to about 1ppm and 25-30ppm.

On the 12th I decided to test out a clean up crew. Picked up a cleaner shrimp, a sand sifting tiger conch, and a couple nassarius snails. These guys are mostly doing well. Not sure about one of the nassarius. He's not moved much in several days.
It was good timing as some brown algae has started to bloom and encrust as expected.

Last night I did another 30 gallon water change. This morning I had <5ppm nitrates.

My 2 Clowns will be going into the DT this evening!!

Long road to this point and very excited.

Provided that goes well tonight I'll look at QTing another fish or two when I return from vacation at the end of the month.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/16/2018, 09:08 AM   #49
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

That should say this morning I had less than 5ppm nitrates.

Unread 05/17/2018, 09:42 AM   #50
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Happy clowns, though they do seem to be chasing their reflection alot.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk