Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2015, 01:45 PM   #801
mfaso24
Registered Member

I should also note that over the past week I have changed our all 4 t5 bulbs

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 04:27 PM   #802
mfaso24
Registered Member

Alright so this stuff seems to be spreading and coming back if I wipe it away. I'm going to assume it's Dino's and try to take care of this before it gets out of hand. Anybody know the best course of action?

Unread 02/18/2015, 06:31 PM   #803
cal_stir
Registered Member

Manual removal, I was blowing off the rocks and vacuuming it from the sand bed, no water changes and reduce flow, skim wet, I pumped the siphoned water back into the system through a 5 uM sediment filter, I kept the filter running in my sump so I could use it daily for about a week.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 06:43 PM   #804
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Manual removal, I was blowing off the rocks and vacuuming it from the sand bed, no water changes and reduce flow, skim wet, I pumped the siphoned water back into the system through a 5 uM sediment filter, I kept the filter running in my sump so I could use it daily for about a week.

See, now I've heard mixed results. Some say no water changes while other say aggressive 50% water changes every 2-3 for a while. And eventually cutting back.

Unread 02/18/2015, 06:50 PM   #805
ZchryOB
Registered Member

I have heard that fresh water kills dinos instantly so if I dip my rocks in it will that take care of it? I only have about 20 pounds so it wouldn't be too hard. Also
how would deal with the dinos in the sand and in the water itself?

ZchryOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 08:09 PM   #806
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
See, now I've heard mixed results. Some say no water changes while other say aggressive 50% water changes every 2-3 for a while. And eventually cutting back.
I have ostreopsis and found water changes would cause blooms, aggressive blooms. Different dino types respond differently, some can be killed with lights out treatments.

Unread 02/18/2015, 08:14 PM   #807
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZchryOB View Post
I have heard that fresh water kills dinos instantly so if I dip my rocks in it will that take care of it? I only have about 20 pounds so it wouldn't be too hard. Also
how would deal with the dinos in the sand and in the water itself?
I use UV for the ones in the water column and ended up removing as much of the sand bed as possible. I've ordered 10uM filter socks to help remove them from the water column. I have them to the point where there are virtually none on the rocks and corals but still getting some on the glass and the bottom. I've also tried h202 with no success.

Unread 02/18/2015, 08:43 PM   #808
ZchryOB
Registered Member

Interesting lol I will just fill the whole tank with RODI that'll nuke um haha I guess thats the good thing about having a small tank

Unread 02/18/2015, 09:09 PM   #809
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
I have ostreopsis and found water changes would cause blooms, aggressive blooms. Different dino types respond differently, some can be killed with lights out treatments.

I'm not sure what type I have but I did a 72 hour blackout that eliminated them for about 2 weeks (now). Since then I've also been doing my regular weekly water changes with no bloom. When I tell you they are not bad right now, they really aren't like honestly if I wasn't looking for them I would not even see them. I'm just super anal about everything in my tank and look for things to fix.

However I just know what these CAN turn into. Which is why I choose to be so proactive and aggressive even though it's on such a small issue currently.

Unread 02/19/2015, 12:47 AM   #810
Montireef
Registered Member

Switch off your skimmer, feed your fish heavily, vacuum everything (rocks and sand) through a filter sock, use Can(OH)2 to run high pH levels (switch off CO2) and moderate light intensity.

I have been fighting ostreopsis and amphidinum for three months and these actions worked for me. I had three blooms one week after I switched my skimmer on (it stripped the water nutrients).

Now that I have used a natural parasite I think that ostreopsis will be completely gone but will wait for a month before I switch it on again.

It is very important to encourage other microorganisms and algae that outcompete dinoflagellates and many skimmers just do not permit it as they are too oversized.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 06:49 PM   #811
ZchryOB
Registered Member

I am planning on give all my fish and corals to a friend to watch if I keep my rocks and sand in the tank and fill it up with RODI that should work right? I dont wanna go through all the trouble just to get them again when I start back up

Unread 02/20/2015, 07:11 PM   #812
bertoni
RC Mod

Running RO/DI through the system likely will kill the dinoflagellates. Whether they will return or not is hard to predict.

Unread 02/20/2015, 08:18 PM   #813
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZchryOB View Post
I am planning on give all my fish and corals to a friend to watch if I keep my rocks and sand in the tank and fill it up with RODI that should work right? I dont wanna go through all the trouble just to get them again when I start back up
When you reintroduce your animals, the dinoflagellates will return with them, even if you manage to completely eliminate them from the display. You can quarantine and treat your fish with hyposalinity and/or copper. Any corals cannot be effectively treated to kill the dinoflagellates without harming or killing the coral. Trust me in that I've tried at least as hard as anyone else to do exactly what you are thinking. I took it several steps further, even. Your plan is very, very unlikely to be effective as it stands.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 08:22 PM   #814
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
I agree. We have to be cautious.

The good news is that this parasite also kills the thecate and non thecate cysts (pellicles). Taken from our scientists studies:

"Pellicle (asexual )cysts,were not long term resistant to parasite infection,since their presence was not observed in the infected cultures after all mobile stages had been killed (5–7days after infection)."

In the pictures you can see an infected round cell amongst many healthy ostreopsis cells and two ostreopsis cells that have lost their theca.
Where have you obtained Parvilucifera cells? It could be more productive to share a potential source.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Unread 02/20/2015, 09:58 PM   #815
mfaso24
Registered Member

Look into dosing hydrogen peroxide. I've heard that's worked quite well for many people

Unread 02/21/2015, 02:07 AM   #816
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphiprion View Post
Where have you obtained Parvilucifera cells? It could be more productive to share a potential source.
I talked about that on post number 795

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2015, 10:22 PM   #817
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

This is my experience, I had Dino for the longest time. what fixed it was I STOP dosing vinegar. I do run bio-pellets(half what is recommended) and gfo. I also run 200 mico socks and change them everyday. Also I run a skimmer that is rated for twice my water volume. My NO3 and Po4 is Zero. The way I understand is dino will feed off of inorganic po4, and GFO is the best way to get rid of it. Like I said this is just my thoughts and what has worked for me.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 03:26 AM   #818
DNA
Registered Member

This is from post #1 and it goes with identified Ostreopsis dinos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Dinoflagellates.

Bio Pellets and Vodka.
I had dinos before and after so they do not solve anything.

DNA
Success or fail stories are not really helpful unless you post what they go with.
In this case I'm certain you did not have what I do.

Dinoflagellates are unbeatable for many and we need to step up with the quality of the information we post.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 07:24 AM   #819
cal_stir
Registered Member

My ostreopsis is 98% gone, I am getting brown patches on the tank bottom and a brown film on the glass which is 99% diatoms with some scattered ostreopsis, I have turned off my UV to encourage green micro algae (I have none now) and installed 10 uM filter socks on my drains, which I will change daily, to try to catch the remaining buggers. I have raised my po4 to .04 ppm from 0 and my no3 to 5 ppm from 0 and my alk to 11 dkh from 9. The diatoms appeared after I raised my po4 and no3.
I believe most of my success has been aggressive physical removal.
I tried lights out and lights out with h2o2 which did not help, UV which I believe helped, elevated pH which did not help, wet skimming which I believe helped, 0 water changes which helped.

Unread 02/22/2015, 09:24 AM   #820
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
My ostreopsis is 98% gone, I am getting brown patches on the tank bottom and a brown film on the glass which is 99% diatoms with some scattered ostreopsis, I have turned off my UV to encourage green micro algae (I have none now) and installed 10 uM filter socks on my drains, which I will change daily, to try to catch the remaining buggers. I have raised my po4 to .04 ppm from 0 and my no3 to 5 ppm from 0 and my alk to 11 dkh from 9. The diatoms appeared after I raised my po4 and no3.
I believe most of my success has been aggressive physical removal.
I tried lights out and lights out with h2o2 which did not help, UV which I believe helped, elevated pH which did not help, wet skimming which I believe helped, 0 water changes which helped.

Is ostreopsis the only type of dinoflagellates?

Unread 02/22/2015, 09:51 AM   #821
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Is ostreopsis the only type of dinoflagellates?
No, there are ~2000 more types.
Reef tanks don't seem to have more than a handful of long lasting, ugly and problematic ones.

Ostreopsis is one of the worst being toxic, ugly, spreads very fast and has a trick up it's sleeve against everything humans can throw at it.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 09:57 AM   #822
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
No, there are ~2000 more types.

Reef tanks don't seem to have more than a handful of long lasting, ugly and problematic ones.

Ostreopsis is one of the worst being toxic, ugly, spreads very fast and has a trick up it's sleeve against everything humans can throw at it.

Ok I definitely don't think this is the kind I have. I guess that's a good thing.

Unread 02/22/2015, 11:38 AM   #823
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok I definitely don't think this is the kind I have. I guess that's a good thing.
You can ID them with a 400x microscope.

Unread 02/22/2015, 07:00 PM   #824
Royce7586
Registered Member

Kordon Ich Attack. Kordon Ich Attack...its working!

My results with Fauna Marin Ultra Algae X were basically slowed growth and it probably killed about 20% of the dinos.

I read a post of one guy saying Kordon Ich attack killed his dinos. In desperation I went and bought it.

I have since stoped the fauna marin about 9 days ago and dosed Kordon Ich attack for 9 days and it is stopping their growth drastically. It doesn't seem like it kills them like the fauna marin but it stops them from growing.

I siphon the dinos every 2 days and normally they would be back just as strong by the next time but not now there are less and less everytime and I am winning the fight my corals look better then ever.

I was about to switch over to my new 75g tank but after seeing the results of the ich attack I had to put it off purely to continue the dosing to be able to tell you guys for sure if it works or not.

I will report again in a week but in all honesty this is the only treatment Ive used that actually seems effective.

Currently I am dosing 1ml to 10g peroxide and 1 shot glass of ich attack during the day and 1 shot glass at night in a 55g with 10g sump.

PLEASE someone else try the ich attack so i can know if im just crazy and my tank is naturally getting rid of the dinos!

Edit: I also am still skimming even tho the ich attack says not to. I figure with how much im dosing of the ich attack it can still be effective with the skimmer on and I have higher nitrates atm so dont want to stop skimming

Royce7586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 07:26 PM   #825
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce7586 View Post
Kordon Ich Attack. Kordon Ich Attack...its working!

My results with Fauna Marin Ultra Algae X were basically slowed growth and it probably killed about 20% of the dinos.

I read a post of one guy saying Kordon Ich attack killed his dinos. In desperation I went and bought it.

I have since stoped the fauna marin about 9 days ago and dosed Kordon Ich attack for 9 days and it is stopping their growth drastically. It doesn't seem like it kills them like the fauna marin but it stops them from growing.

I siphon the dinos every 2 days and normally they would be back just as strong by the next time but not now there are less and less everytime and I am winning the fight my corals look better then ever.

I was about to switch over to my new 75g tank but after seeing the results of the ich attack I had to put it off purely to continue the dosing to be able to tell you guys for sure if it works or not.

I will report again in a week but in all honesty this is the only treatment Ive used that actually seems effective.

Currently I am dosing 1ml to 10g peroxide and 1 shot glass of ich attack during the day and 1 shot glass at night in a 55g with 10g sump.

PLEASE someone else try the ich attack so i can know if im just crazy and my tank is naturally getting rid of the dinos!

Edit: I also am still skimming even tho the ich attack says not to. I figure with how much im dosing of the ich attack it can still be effective with the skimmer on and I have higher nitrates atm so dont want to stop skimming
Mine has gotten substantially worse out of nowhere within the last 48 hours, with strings covering most of the tank. No other changes made, either. I actually had some of this from my freshwater tank--may actually give it a try.