Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Greysoul
Registered Member

California de-barbing wild rays!?

So after looking them over this is the forum I felt best suited for this post... if not please relocate it?

I just was looking at the LA Times picture gallery and came across this from last week:

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/05/24/stingrays/

it seems a group of surfers and university biologists are catching rays at Seal Beach and cutting off their barbs. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I think not...

As I'm not a property owner of resident of California my opposition to this is academic at best, but I would implore any residents of that state to contact their local representatives in the state congress or municipality if you're near Seal Beach and ask what's going on with this....

What's next, de-clawing bears and filing down sharks teeth?

Despicable.

-Doug

Greysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 06:06 PM   #2
BBraker
Registered Member

Doug,

I agree - what a senseless thing to do. The rays shed their barbs every few months anyway, so this process would have to be repeated over and over again.
Here is a thing: so, once they've "de-barbed" all these rays and somebody THEN gets stung - that person should be allowed to sue the beach patrol / life guards because they obviously didn't do their job correctly! That should put a stop to the practice.

Maybe somebody needs to go out there and spray insecticide on all the honeybees because they cause more deaths every year than sharks do!

Bill

BBraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 06:24 PM   #3
organism
code monkey

They used to do the same thing a few years ago I think on the same beach, but then they found out the barbs grow back after less than a year so they stopped. Either way stingrays lose their barbs a lot of the time when they sting something so it's not something unnatural or painful for them.

It sounds like they're doing more of a study since they're only getting 200 rays. I went diving a couple of weeks ago a few miles north of Seal Beach looking for halibut and counted about 60+ on one dive alone. I think it's more about some scientific study, with a side of placebo for tourists thinking they're safer from getting stung.

organism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 06:26 PM   #4
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

It's a little ridiculous, but it's not really going to adversely effect the ray in any way, and debarbing them is a lot like clipping a nail (I have seen/done it on freshwater rays, I assume it's similar). It's a stupid waste of time on the surfer's part, but nothing that really bothers me...

Unread 05/31/2011, 02:30 PM   #5
loki32687
Registered Member

I'm speechless. They are taking away an animals natural defense for no good reason. It sickens me...

loki32687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 03:48 PM   #6
returnofsid
Registered Member

So, this may be an incidental thing, to the ray, since the barbs will just grow back anyway. What I'd like to know, without turning this into a political discussion, is how many tax dollars are being spent on this pointless endeavor. It'd be nice to know if this is for scientific purposes, and if so, WHAT the scientific purpose is.

returnofsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 04:55 PM   #7
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysoul View Post
Am I the only one who has a problem with this?...Despicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBraker View Post
I agree - what a senseless thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki32687 View Post
I'm speechless...It sickens me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Martin
The Learn2rip Surf Academy, scientists from Cal State Long Beach and Seal Beach lifeguards are taking part in a seasonal effort to catch, study, de-barb and safely release more than 200 stingrays while cleaning the popular but polluted area
The link.

And the why.

Much ado about nothing.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 05:21 PM   #8
BBraker
Registered Member

So, it's just a pilot study to see if clipping rays to protect people from wild rays is feasible. If the study proves cost-effective, it seems like they would go ahead with the plan full-scale. I still think it is ill-advised, a waste of resources, and reduces the ray's ability to fend off predators.

Bill

BBraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 05:44 PM   #9
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofsid View Post
What I'd like to know, without turning this into a political discussion, is how many tax dollars are being spent on this pointless endeavor.
That's the beauty of CA, they give out IOU's for people on unemployment while getting creative on new, pointless things to waste money on.

Unread 05/31/2011, 06:05 PM   #10
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
That's the beauty of CA, they give out IOU's for people on unemployment while getting creative on new, pointless things to waste money on.

Current Tank Info: 125 Mixed reef, 55 softie tank in the works!
nanshaw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 06:06 PM   #11
nanshaw2001
Older newbie

+1 to the above....still learning about posting!

Current Tank Info: 125 Mixed reef, 55 softie tank in the works!
nanshaw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2011, 11:18 AM   #12
flyhigh123
funky member

well, remember that we need to protect our precious 200k salaried lifeguards....

flyhigh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Kahuna Tuna
Registered Member

Quote:
That's the tragedy of CA, they give out IOU's for people on unemployment while getting creative on new, pointless things to waste money on.
There, fixed that for ya. The most idiotic state in the nation hands down.

Current Tank Info: No tank currently
Kahuna Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2011, 03:18 PM   #14
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Tuna View Post
There, fixed that for ya. The most idiotic state in the nation hands down.
Too true... We have that lovely referendum process where voters create and pass new bills that they expect will be paid for by farts.

Unread 06/01/2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Kerreefer
Registered Member.

so glad i live in texas. thats the most ignorant thing ive heard of yet.... wow.

Kerreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Alkamist
Registered Member

wow thats just wrong what there doing and as said above is a huge waste of money when there are other things this money could be used for like getting more people to help clean the beach instead of wasting time catching and de-barbing rays. If people don't wanna get stung by them don't go in the water you swim at your own risk just put up signs to that say beware of sting rays.

Alkamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 10:57 AM   #17
billsreef
10 & Over Club

While I can certainly understand the acoustic tracking study, barb clipping wild rays seems a bit foolish to me. Just based on the limited info of their own tracking and tagging work, sounds like there are plenty of rays, and they move around a lot. Makes such a barb removal idea pretty much akin to raising the level of the ocean by spitting in it.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 11:25 AM   #18
thebanker
Moved On

I would guess that they de-barb the rays right when they catch them, so the researchers can tag the animal for tracking without fear of being stuck. As far as de-barbing the rays to prevent future injury, I'm not sure how effective that will be, if the barbs regenerate.

I live in Orange County, about 30 minutes from the site, and quite honestly I don't mind that they're doing this. They're not killing the animals, and they're not removing them from the local ecology.

The project is funded by CSULB right? So it's coming out of the college's pocket, not directly from the state. Sure it's a state school, but the students don't attend for free. In essence, the college would spend the same money on something else, were it not for the stingray project.

I would guess that the recent rash of stingray injuries gave CSULB the impetus to start an acoustic tracking project to study the animals, and sold it to the project's backers as a public safety measure.

thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 01:50 PM   #19
davocean
Registered Member

[QUOTE=thebanker;

I would guess that the recent rash of stingray injuries gave CSULB the impetus to start an acoustic tracking project to study the animals, and sold it to the project's backers as a public safety measure.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, and after diving/surfing that area over the years I kind of understand, it's amazing how many rays swarm that area compared to the rest of the coast.
It's not a poor area either, I'd bet some wealthy person's kid got stung and pushed buttons, or they are pushing on safer tourism.
Either way, there are about a gazillion rays there, and since the barbs grow back I don't see it as a major issue.
Oh, and if you ever swim there, SHUFFLE THOSE FEET!!
I've never seen so many rays in one area in my 35 years of diving.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Im a SPS polyp
Moved On

i live right by there been in the water a million times and ive never seen anyone get stung personally

Im a SPS polyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 05:00 PM   #21
thebanker
Moved On

Yeah but you're an SPS polyp, the rays are stinging people.

thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 09:24 AM   #22
Gold Stripe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
The project is funded by CSULB right? So it's coming out of the college's pocket, not directly from the state. Sure it's a state school, but the students don't attend for free. In essence, the college would spend the same money on something else, were it not for the stingray project.

And people wonder why we are 14 trillion in debt.

Unread 06/03/2011, 03:04 PM   #23
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Stripe View Post

And people wonder why we are 14 trillion in debt.
Because of hundreds of billions we spend yearly on "wars"... but that is for another thread!

Unread 06/03/2011, 03:26 PM   #24
bradam
Registered Member

Wonder how many people went to

http://www.csulb.edu/web/labs/sharkl...stingray.shtml

and read about what they are doing before posting

It is a rather interesting study idea.. But while tracking thier movements is kind of neat I tend to agree with the general concensous of it being a waste of time and money. Though I did get a chuckle out of the Rays and people hanging out in that water because its being warmed by the nuclear powerplant

bradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 06:15 PM   #25
Nate_Bro
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysoul View Post
So after looking them over this is the forum I felt best suited for this post... if not please relocate it?

I just was looking at the LA Times picture gallery and came across this from last week:

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/05/24/stingrays/

it seems a group of surfers and university biologists are catching rays at Seal Beach and cutting off their barbs. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I think not...

As I'm not a property owner of resident of California my opposition to this is academic at best, but I would implore any residents of that state to contact their local representatives in the state congress or municipality if you're near Seal Beach and ask what's going on with this....

What's next, de-clawing bears and filing down sharks teeth?

Despicable.

-Doug
how many times have you been surfing at seal beach??

I have been surfing there for years, and the amount of people getting hurt is unbelievable!

now do I like the fact they are cutting off the barbs not really, but people from the city (not very far away) come over and jump in the water not knowing anything about a sting ray, and when you have 600+ people on a beach, with 4 life guards, the last thing you need to worry about are people getting hit by a sting ray. I have grown up surfing there and never been hit by a sting ray, but then again I know how NOT to get hit by a sting ray!

its a lot better the remove the spine, then remove the animal all together IMO....

its the same thing as clipping a cat/dogs nails, they grow back

Nate_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barb, debarb, ray, seal beach, sting ray