Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2019, 11:30 AM   #1
mcowan
Registered Member

Clown aggression

I have a 55g FOWLR tank with two clowns, one chalk basslet, one midas blenny, and one coral beauty.

When I added the midas blenny in a few months ago it started being aggressive toward the chalk basslet and sometimes the clowns. I tried putting up a mirror for a few hours, and the clowns starting going CRAZY with it (the midas blenny didn't seem to care and he was the one I wanted to be distracted!)

I decided to take the mirror down. Ever since, my clowns have been different and more aggressive toward each other. I swear the mirror just made them both super paranoid. The smaller one (assuming is the male) has tattered fins. They both sort of bolt in front of each other and sometimes do that little seizure-thing, although the smaller one does the bolting and seizure more often. The smaller one is also always the one that bites my hand when I clean the tank. Isn't the bigger one (female) supposed to be more aggressive?

Any advice? Should I be worried about the bigger one killing the smaller one? How much "fin tattering" is acceptable?

PS What's funny is that the midas blenny has actually calmed down a bit and now I'm more concerned about my clowns...

mcowan is offline   Reply With Quote