Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2018, 07:46 PM   #1
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

2ft 60 gal cube

I was interested in a 120 gal 4x2x2 tank but realized I don’t have the space for that. So I think I would like a 2ft 60gal cube.

What I’m hoping to do is a reef tank with softies and lps. I’d like a nem of some sort if the tank will allow. Clown fish and a cleanup crew. I’d also like a have a sump and possibly get a fuge in it as well. Is this possible? Anyone else running a similar setup that I could see for ideas?

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 11:50 AM   #2
kfisc
Registered Member

Yes, quite possible, but I'd say fairly high degree of difficulty with everything you plan for the tank. I'd try just the softies, nem and a couple of fish for starters.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 01:13 PM   #3
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

@kfisc Thank you. I appreciate the opinion. I would most definitely start out very slowly and have no interest in pushing the limits or crowding a tank.

Unread 12/16/2018, 08:33 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

I kept a 60g cube for 22 years. I really like the size and shape of the tank. I did it without a sump, using only a dual biowheel HOB filter along with a canister filter. I kept a variety of smaller reef friendly fish along with softies and some LPS corals. You will have no problem with your system but I would suggest that you choose either soft corals or stony corals to reduce the problems with alleopathy that can easily cause trouble especially in a smaller tank. If you still want to mi them, running carbon and a good skimmer will help immensely.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 11:57 AM   #5
fijisrfr
Registered Member

Here’s mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 12:45 PM   #6
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Great looking tanks!

Unread 12/16/2018, 02:08 PM   #7
tc2007
Registered Member

I have a similar 30"X30"X24" 93G cube. Make sure you have enough room in the bottom for a proper sump and equipment. Can you maybe make a bigger stand so you have room? I find it really cramped down there. On top of that, cubes make getting high and low flow and high and low light areas difficult. May not be an issue if you are only going for lps and softies all of those usually need low light and low flow.

Unread 12/18/2018, 08:40 PM   #8
PuckHucker
Registered Member

No pics thanks to photobucket but I think you have a decent plan. Pretty much what I had going and worked really well. Closed loop for chiller and added flow with a koralia, but really similar. If I could, i would do the same set up again. I really like the cube platform for diversity in corals and livestock

PuckHucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 08:27 AM   #9
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Yeah I could build a larger cabinet. I was actually thinking of doing that by about 8” longer. It would then provide more space in the sump and I could add a little shelf next to the tank.

Unread 12/19/2018, 01:07 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I wonder why you'd think it wouldn't be possible?

Unread 12/19/2018, 01:36 PM   #11
shamus
Registered Member

I built a 36" wide stand for my 60 cube and I am glad I did. It gave me more room. You can never have too much room under a tank!

shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 01:49 PM   #12
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
I built a 36" wide stand for my 60 cube and I am glad I did. It gave me more room. You can never have too much room under a tank!
I can certain agree with that. When I had my 2x2x8 240 gallon FW tank I had that stand completely full. I built the stand with the same footprint as the tank and only about 24” tall cause I’m not a tall person thinking it would make things easier. It really didn’t so I should have made it taller.