Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2018, 11:18 PM   #1
SleepyReefer
Registered Member

Starting my First SW Tank... Does this look like a good Aquascape?

Hi, my name is Michael and I just turned 16 on Dec 1. My grandmother got me a NUVO Fusion 40 and I have it cycling right now, but I don't feel as if my aquascape actually looks good... Can y'all rate it and give me some tips?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (43.5 KB, 93 views)
SleepyReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2018, 11:18 PM   #2
SleepyReefer
Registered Member

I can post better/more pics if necessary

SleepyReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 12:35 AM   #3
jlmawp
Registered Member

Please keep in mind that, ultimately, what you like is what you should do with your tank. You are the one who looks at it everyday.

That said, if it were me, I would take more advantage of the vertical space. Something of varying heights between the left and right sides of the tank. Arches are great, and we tend to think in terms of symmetry, but I’d encourage you to branch out and experiment with asymmetrical configurations. Google some top design tanks, and you’ll see what I mean. Irregular shapes and patterns are more interesting to the eye, and take your eyes to different places.

Please feel free to post some update pics if you try out different things!

Welcome to the hobby. Looks like you’re off to a great start.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 08:27 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
Please keep in mind that, ultimately, what you like is what you should do with your tank. You are the one who looks at it everyday.

That said, if it were me, I would take more advantage of the vertical space. Something of varying heights between the left and right sides of the tank. Arches are great, and we tend to think in terms of symmetry, but I’d encourage you to branch out and experiment with asymmetrical configurations. Google some top design tanks, and you’ll see what I mean. Irregular shapes and patterns are more interesting to the eye, and take your eyes to different places.

Please feel free to post some update pics if you try out different things!

Welcome to the hobby. Looks like you’re off to a great start.

^^^This^^^

As long as you like it all is good.

Now for my 2 cents

How much rock is in there? it doesn't really look like a lot, but appearances can be deceiving.

Try to avoid the "giant rock wall" that seems all to common. You are off to a great start, but like the above poster suggested rearrange a few times to see the options. I'd suggest taking pictures as you go so that if you decide you really like the arrangement 2 trys ago you can get back to it easily.

I can't tell from the picture, but I would strongly recommend that your bottom rocks be placed directly on the bottom of the tank and not on top of (or even partly buried in) the sand. The very last thing you want is a huge rock slide down the road when any burrowing fish/crabs/snails dig underneath the rocks and cause them to be unstable. You can use acrylic or fiberglass rods placed in holes in the bottoms of rocks to act as legs to keep things off the sand, and if you plan well, those rods can also be used to help provide some support for otherwise unstable rock placement

I try to avoid any sort of epoxy or other attempt to fasten the rocks together. Doing so will make any future re-scape difficult or impossible, not to mention the problems you'll have if (when) you have to catch a problem fish if you can't remove rocks.

Good Luck and post more pictures!

HTH!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 05:34 AM   #5
Seasidenj
Registered Member

Hi Mike it's all personal preference.What I did when i was playing out my scape i looked at other peoples rock scape and tried to get a idea in my head first then just started building it.

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquascape, beginner advice