Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2021, 08:04 PM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

How can I get rid of the green ugly anemone pests?

I hate them..they are everywhere

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2021, 08:42 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

I'm not sure they're anemones. They might be yellow star polyps. Hard to tell without white lighting.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2021, 09:22 PM   #3
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Majano anemones is what they are

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2021, 09:39 PM   #4
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Hard to tell when you take a picture and dont use a filter so that everything is washed out in blue....but looking at the pic, those look like Majano Anemones. If so....Id say you got the mother of all infestations!!! I havent seen these in the hobby often for a very long time so that might not be an accurate diagnosis, but in the early 2000's they were almost as common as apitasia. Lets say for the sake of discussion it is...

I would remove and allow to dry out any rock work you dont have corals on. Then I would go to the feed store and get a 3 cc syringe and a 18 gauge needle to go on it. Mix some Kalkwasser into a slurry and suck it up with the syringe and start methodically nuking every little one you can find. Place the needle just in front of the oral disk and then squirt a little into each one. They will quickly wither and die. You may have to do this several times before you can get the upper hand on them. Keep doing it until they are all gone.

There are some fish that will eat them such as a Copper Banded Butterfly but those fish are kinda iffy on survival rates and they are a 50/50 shot on eating these guys and might just choose to nip at your corals instead.

Next....I would recommend a QT tank if you dont have one as a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Then use it!!! Dont keep it up and running, break it down everytime your done QTing something so it wont continue to harbor any pest you "thought" you didnt have. Its a lot easier to keep unwanted things out of your tank than it is to get rid of them once they have a foot hold in your tank.

Here is a pic of a Majano anemone...

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...wxPY8XYDqj3G3M

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2021, 10:27 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Mmm. Been at this crom-many years, and never saw a green pest nem, but that does indeed seem to be the item. Chance of what's landed in my tank. I tend to get the brown aiptasia now and again, I still say chisel out the specimen, then deal with the rock.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2021, 11:14 PM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I feel your pain Daddyrawg,
I had a similar issue with a encrusting Pavona coral that did not do well with neighboring corals and won all fights. Could not remove the rockwork & had to exterminate via boiling water and cooking it away a bit at a time after removing the large mother colony. The bristleworms loved the BBQ LOL.

My LFS actually still sells really large majanos & folks grab them up fast, guess they have no idea how fast they propagate ......LOL. I like the owner so ive never said anything neg about them but yep, you have the Mother of infestations alright.

They look so nice green and all bummer, id remove all said rocks stat saving any corals & nuke the rocks then put em back when cleaned & safe, lesson learned about pests we all have endured some type of grief so join the marine club.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2021, 12:03 AM   #7
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Sad but true, we have all seen that movie once or twice Oldreeferman, thats why I am so bad about pushing QT tanks, even for rock. Thats why I have a rock tank going in case I need to set up another tank, I dont want a thing in my reef that I didnt intend to be in there in the first place. Keeping it out is so much less hassle than trying to get rid of it once you have it.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Timfish
Registered Member

If it's bright green under blue light it's a green species or variety of majano. Getting rid of them is difficult and will require manual removal which may not be easy in an established system. What I've used to control them in the one tank I have them in is a raccoon butterfly, The one I have leaves the stony and soft corals alone but this might not be the case with specimen.

Unread 01/25/2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Dr RBG
Registered Member

Aptasia X

Aptasia X works on common aptasia and it should work on these if they are aptasia. It will take patience if you have many.

Dr RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2021, 09:25 AM   #10
Four drachma
Registered Member

I once bought a tank from a guy getting out of the hobby, he had several nice fish and a lot of live rock that I wanted, so I bought it. The live rock was covered in majano anemones, 100’s of them.

You can rid them easily without killing the entire rock.

There will be several people voice their concerns about this, but if done correctly there is no health issue.

So upfront, some corals have toxins and when boiled or burned they can release the toxin in a vapor and cause you and your household health problems, some are serious...so please take the appropriate precautions.

I’ve done this many times to get rid of pest corals like anemones, aptasia, and Kenya trees..

So, buy a torch, a small pen sized one like a benzomatic, and also buy a regular sized propane torch...they’re not expensive. I’ll include pics of one at the end.

Take your rock outside, and be conscious of the wind, because you don’t want to breath in the fumes or smoke of the burning coral. Don’t let your dog watch or kids, so they don’t inadvertently breathe in harmful toxic fumes.

If there’s no wind at all, place a box fan behind you so it’s blowing the smoke or fumes away from you.

Now you can simply spot target each individual coral you want to kill, and go to work. It doesn’t take long with the larger of the two torches. You want to be sure and completely burn the anemone until it’s black and crispy or it can possibly come back if any small portion isn’t burned.

This technique is easy cheap and quick, and best of all it works.

Be aware that tiny new anemones will retract into crevasses and you’re likely to miss them, so be prepared to have to remove the rocks several times to get rid of them completely, so stack the returned rocks accordingly.

The rocks won’t look much different after being burned, but may have some burnt spots, the cuc will eat any cooked coral, and coralline algae will soon cover the rock, and it will be back to normal.

It’s always best to remove any good corals fro the rocks you’ll be treating, but sometimes that’s not possible. If you have a coral on the rock that you want to survive, you may need to dip it in a bucket of saltwater every few minutes while your spot treating it. You can also take some aluminum foil and fold it into a square and hold it between the good coral and where you’re spot treating the pest coral. Also any pest near the coral you want to keep should be treated with the small torch so you don’t inadvertently damage the good coral.

I hope this helps, and happy reefing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2021, 09:29 AM   #11
Four drachma
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote