Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Fishluv3647
Registered Member

Does my tank seem ready for clownfish?

I have a 40 gallon tank that I've been running since the beginning of March, and I plan to get fish for it this weekend, I'm looking to get two ocellaris clownfish. My tank has a fluval aquaclear 70 that I've been running for about 4 weeks because my other filter broke, I moved all the cycled media to the aquaclear with the new media, but ran it for 4 weeks while feeding the tank new life spectrum pellets everyday to be safe. I also have an instant ocean sea clone protein skimmer, not the best plan to upgrade soon, but it works ok for now, and I have about 35 pounds of live rock with two hydor power heads. My readings are 0 for ammonia, pH of 8.4, 0 for nitrite, and 10 nitrate (water change before I get any fish). My coral seems to be thriving, and my snails are doing well, even have baby snails, I just want to be reassured that my tank is good before I get fish for it. Btw I plan to build a sump in a few months, filter seems to work for now, but I'd really prefer a sump.

Fishluv3647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 04:55 PM   #2
strikeratt
Registered Member

I'd say you're good.

strikeratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 08:14 PM   #3
schnebbles
Registered Member

Should be fine!

schnebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Fishluv3647
Registered Member

So there shouldn't be any ammonia spikes when adding two fish?

Fishluv3647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 10:26 PM   #5
ClownfishNut
Registered Member

At worst it would be a small ammonia spike, but your tank has been running for more than long enough, you've added food, and your inverts are doing well. You will be good!

ClownfishNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Jon0807
Registered Member

From your readings it sounds like your tank is cycled. You shouldn't even have an ammonia spike. Just make sure you wait a while before adding any more fish.

Unread 08/19/2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

If you have already added coral and it is doing OK, adding 2 fish should be OK. Most people add fish first and then coral. Like Jon0807 said, don't add any more fish until you know these two don't cause an ammonia spike, or if they do, not until it goes away.

Tags
clownfish, cycling, new tank, stocking