Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2018, 11:00 AM   #1
MGV6260
Registered Member

can a seahorse live alone?

I bought two small female Hippocampus erectus from a local show that had them for 3 months eating frozen brine shrimp. I put them in the tank and the bigger one didn't miss a beat started swimming around and latching on to everything. the smaller one didn't move around the tank much and didn't eat for two days but started to eat and became more active after a 4 or 5 days. I woke up this morning and found the little one dead!:furious:. Now that I only the bigger seahorse will she be okay living alone (have one jester goby in the tank)? Do I need to search for some new sea horse friends and if so should i only get 1 or 2 more?

MGV6260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 08:55 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

You can add a mirror in the tank to try to lessen the impact of being alone.
Not knowing what your seahorse knowledge base is, and what kind of set-up you have the seahorse in, I hesitate to recommend getting more, but normally replacement recommendations would be to purchase from the same source so that there is less chance of introducing pathogens that the seahorse has not had previous exposure to making it more susceptible to such pathogens.
However, there is most certainly a LOT more to take into consideration before a proper recommendation can be made.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote