Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2018, 07:32 AM   #1
donsods
Registered Member

Copepods for Erectus?

I was curious if anyone had advice as to which breed of copepods are good for supplemental erectus feeding?

donsods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 08:30 AM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

While I use copepods for additional nutrition with seahorse fry, I don't find it worthwhile to feed most copepods to adult seahorses, first because most won't be bothered with them, and second, it takes an inordinate amount to provide any nutrition value.
I found that amphipods were sufficiently sized to attract adults.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
kizanne
Registered Member

I feed my seahorses frozen mysid but try to give them lots of food to hunt for fun and extra nutrition. I find they like grass shrimp (small ones) amphipods and all kinds of copepods. I supplement my tank with tisbe and tigger right now. But I have a baby brine (live) shrimp feeder for my mandarin and they'll eat a passing baby brine as well. You really can't go wrong. Tigger's are a little bigger and later I'll probably supplement apocyclops when I get them going.

Rayjay's right you don't have to. But I like giving them variety and something to do during the day. My female really seems to love hunting (which means sitting really still staring). Sometimes she doesn't even come to get her mysid cause she isn't hungry. My male is not as patient so he's more into the grass shrimp and occasional baby brine.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 10:35 AM   #4
donsods
Registered Member

Considering seeding tank/fuge with the Reef Soup combination from Rusalty. Claims 5 species, from Parvo to Tigger.

Also noticed on company offers something called "Tangerine" Pods, but gives very little description except for 'slightly smaller than Tigers'.

donsods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 01:38 PM   #5
kizanne
Registered Member

Well the parvo probably won't persist in tank they are pelagic and kinda fussy eaters. But tisbe and tiggers should do fine. Not sure the other two kinds.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copepods, erectus, feeding advice