Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2018, 08:47 AM   #1
teddscau
Registered Member

Giant Clam Safety?

Hey guys, I'm planning on putting two pairs of dragonface pipefish in my new 90g reef tank (I'm not getting the pipefish until next summer). I'm designing it to be a freaking oasis for them. Lots of places to hide, good circulation without being overwhelming, macroalgae and a bit of sea grass (still need to order those plants...), non-photosynthetic gorgonians, lots of copepods, etc.

Anyways, I was hoping to put a clam in the tank. However, I read that pipefish can accidentally startle the clam, causing it to clamp shut on them, causing both the pipefish and clam to die. Is this fear mongering, or is it legit? Should I skip the clam? I've always wanted a giant clam, but if it could hurt my (future) pipefish...

teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 08:49 AM   #2
teddscau
Registered Member

Oops! I meant photosynthetic gorgonians!

Unread 05/14/2018, 11:29 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

I know clams are not safe with seahorses but I am not sure how real the risk is with pipefish.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 06:13 AM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

I'd skip the clam. My dragonface lay all over everything, and they still use their tail to hold onto things. I think they would face the same or worse danger than seahorses.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 08:14 AM   #5
teddscau
Registered Member

Darn, I kind of wanted a clam, but you're the one with the pipefish, so you'd know .

Unread 05/15/2018, 09:50 AM   #6
kizanne
Registered Member

Well I don't have a clam so it isn't definitive.

But dragonfaces almost never are freely swimming they drape and dangle and even when they have their torso up to get something they usually have a tail on something for balance type thing.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote