Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2018, 07:45 PM   #1
kizanne
Registered Member

dragonface versus blue stripe

I know blue stripes will fight each other but will they tolerate dragonface pipefish?

I have a trio of dragonface pipefish already but my fish store has the cutest couple of blue stripes (waiting to see if they are a pair) he says their vents look different and they seem to be swimming side by side for now.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Rispa
Registered Member

Did you test this out? I'm interested in doing a tank with many types of pipefish. By the way do you have a breeding log for your Dragonface Pipefish?

Rispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 08:58 AM   #3
kizanne
Registered Member

Well in my 70 gallon I have 3 dragonface and 1 blue stripe. They get along fine. But most things get more aggressive with breeding. My dragonface aren't breeding but it is the blues I was worried about. I'm hoping my LFS has a boy today. I got a boy but it didn't make it through quarantine even though it was eating.

All my pipes eat frozen mysid and live brine so they don't have to fight over food or worry about Copepods/amphipods. You could never stock this heavy if they weren't on frozen. This tank also has a mandarin.

I can't wait until I need a dragonface breeding log!

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 12/20/2018, 07:08 AM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

Thought I'd follow this up. I now have a pair of mating blue stripes in with about 5 dragonface pipefish with no problems.

These are also in with Erectus with no problems. Both the erectus and the blue pipe are breeding. I"m waiting and hoping for the dragonface to join the breeding ranks.

Unread 04/05/2019, 06:47 PM   #5
cdhappy
Registered Member

Congrats on the blue-stripe pair! Any picts of the babies?

cdhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2019, 09:26 AM   #6
kizanne
Registered Member

Been having trouble catching the babies. I'm also in high mode with work right now so my copepods aren't where they need to be to raise babies.

But the male gets visible eggs that grow and then disappear every week.

Last week I caught them transferring eggs but didn't get pictures.

I am also just trying to keep up with the new seahorses. I didn't have any for a while but they spit some out Saturday.

Unread 04/12/2019, 12:28 AM   #7
1claire
Registered Member

Congratulations on the new additions in your tank.

1claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2020, 11:31 AM   #8
GinoV84
Registered Member

What’s a reef safe Pipefish? Moderate flow

GinoV84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2020, 04:20 PM   #9
teddscau
Registered Member

Necropost, but I'll bite. Try blue striped pipefish or dragonface pipefish. They need a ton of live food, so it's best if you have a large tank (+150g) so they can forage for copepods between meals. They can't be housed with stinging corals, anemones, agressive fish, or fast moving fish. Either avoid pipefish altogether, or buy mandarinfish from ORA, since those guys will at least accept frozen food and pellets as the main part of their diet.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2020, 01:53 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Bluestripes handle very high flow. I had some who went hunting in high flow areas where the flow was too high for my Regal Angels.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote