Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2014, 05:44 PM   #26
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Holy damn! That's some big bucks right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
I'm tagging along. Just about finished my order and I was wondering if the 180w power supply would be enough for 3 700H ldd's and 2 1000H ldd's. I'm going to be running 2 5.2's?
If you maxed out the LDD at 45v each, you're pulling 185w, and you'd need a 220w power supply at a minimum (you need 20% extra as far as wattage goes). If you're not maxing out the LDD, then just calculate the power used and then add 20%.

jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2014, 05:54 PM   #27
Aqualund
Registered Member

They don't draw 45V each channel. They only draw 30W each channel...since each channel only has 10 leds on them.

Aqualund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2014, 05:57 PM   #28
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

DERP shoulda read the end part of that post lol. Two of teh 5.2 shouldn't pull more than 150w when run like that, so the 180w power supply has exactly 20% 'spare area'.

Unread 01/30/2014, 06:03 PM   #29
djmx2002
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Holy damn! That's some big bucks right there!

If you maxed out the LDD at 45v each, you're pulling 185w, and you'd need a 220w power supply at a minimum (you need 20% extra as far as wattage goes). If you're not maxing out the LDD, then just calculate the power used and then add 20%.

Can you? Most channels on the 5.2 are around 18v if I remember correctly

djmx2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 01:51 AM   #30
Idefixes
Registered Member

If you use at clay-boa rating Lumia 5.2 is max 86.74w power capable = (18x0.7)+(16.5x1.5)+(16.5x1.5)+(17.2x0.7)+(18x0.7). This can't be achieve with LLD-H since max is 1A unit so with 2 chanels @1A (LDD-1000H) and 3 chanels @0.7A (LDD-700h) you have max 70.4W. IMO in serie configuration you can use 3 (18v x3=36v) with 48V/5A (4.1A + 20%) powersupply

Marc

Idefixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 09:22 AM   #31
Aqualund
Registered Member

18v x 3v is 54v

Unread 01/31/2014, 12:14 PM   #32
Idefixes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund View Post
18v x 3v is 54v
Yes aqualund i see my mistake to late....so on one LDD line we can just put 2 lumia 5.2 in serie...

Thanks for correction.

Marc

Idefixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 05:17 PM   #33
Aqualund
Registered Member

Okay I have completed the build for 4 light modules over my 500 gallon sump. And I have some information based on what I have.

The following info is based on the white and blue channels running at 85%, and all other channels at 65%.

1. RCA cable connectors are an insane pain in the butt to solder and put together. I will not be doing this in the future.

2. The screw type lenses don't do much, and they are very finnicky. I do not like them. There is also really no difference between fully extended and full retracted...mostly because the curvature of the single lens isn't much.

3. 14 inches over the water, the light units do cover nearly a 24" diameter circle, with about 250 par in the center, about 100 par 10 inches out (8 inches under)...and dropping off to 50 and below on the perimeter.

4. 4 light pucks covered a 48 x 24 area...but with a definitely dark spot at half point on the 48" span. would probably just need one in the middle of all four and be just fine for a 48 x 24 area.

5. Temperature with a constant fan on a 4.5 x 4.5 heatsink at the current intensity setting is 76 degrees directly above the led chip. I installed always closed thermal switches to cut power to the 5-up board if the fan dies and the heatsink reaches 167 degrees f.

6. All of the pictures I have included have the halides on in between the led pucks. Except one picture is just the led pucks with a ruler for reference.

7. I messed up when i ordered parts so I got the wrong screen to use with the jarduino. because of this, I was not able to try different color mixes to achieve any different "looks." After the chinese new year I can order the correct lcd and do some different blends to show what is capable with these fixtures.

So far though, I would say the current look and light mix is actually pretty nice, and is quite comparable to what I expected.

Also, for reference...don't drop your par meter into the water. The negative effects of this are IMMEDIATE.

Scroll to the end of the imgur album to see today's pictures.

Last edited by Aqualund; 01/31/2014 at 05:30 PM.
Unread 02/01/2014, 10:23 AM   #34
mikeoif08
Registered Member

Another LED to check out is the Aurora Puck with wide angle tir lens which supposedly covers a 36"x 36" area. It has 4 channels. I myself have been debating the Aurora puck or 5.2 for my grow out tub.

mikeoif08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2014, 10:26 AM   #35
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

A single one certainly won't cover a 36x36 area.

Unread 02/01/2014, 10:40 AM   #36
Aqualund
Registered Member

Yeah i definitely dont like the amount of red in the aurora puck...but thanks for telling me about it! didnt know rapid made one

Unread 02/01/2014, 01:53 PM   #37
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
4. 4 light pucks covered a 48 x 24 area...but with a definitely dark spot at half point on the 48" span. would probably just need one in the middle of all four and be just fine for a 48 x 24 area.
Did you mean 48 x 48 area? Thats what it looks like in the last photo.

Quote:
Also, for reference...don't drop your par meter into the water. The negative effects of this are IMMEDIATE.
Ouch!

Edit: Question. What is the distance between mounting holes? I have some solid copper heatsinks that have a 2.5 x 2.75 contact area that might just work for these.

Last edited by Fredfish; 02/01/2014 at 02:03 PM.
Fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2014, 02:21 PM   #38
TriNewbie24
Registered Member

Looks sweet! I'd like to see a pic without the halides if possible. Been looking at those and the Aurora pucks, but cant find any pics, Thought about doing a custom 1 & 1 build with the Aurora and the Lumia.

TriNewbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2014, 03:23 PM   #39
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriNewbie24 View Post
Looks sweet! I'd like to see a pic without the halides if possible. Been looking at those and the Aurora pucks, but cant find any pics, Thought about doing a custom 1 & 1 build with the Aurora and the Lumia.
I reference in my previous post that one of the last pictures is just the lumias...no halides were on.

Quote:
Did you mean 48 x 48 area? Thats what it looks like in the last photo.
you are very right, that is 48x48, thanks!

Unread 02/01/2014, 11:29 PM   #40
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah i definitely dont like the amount of red in the aurora puck...but thanks for telling me about it! didnt know rapid made one
Just looked at it, and what it looks like is that they're trying to mimic the Radion Pro, looks like the same exact distribution and colors of LEDs (some small variations), and I bet a dollar to a donut they sourced the same factory that's cranking out those lenses which coincidentally come in a regular and "wide angle" just like the Radion pro. Bet some Chinese factory decided to start cranking these out. Only real difference is the Radion is 6 channels of control this is only 4.

But yeah, not a fan of greens, reds, red-orange, that they do. Also wish these manufacturers would fricking learn and stop using cool white. Also wish they'd go a little more up-to-date on the LEDs, I know there's some lag time behind what a single chip can be vs what they mass produce on these types of builds but XT-Es have been out for a while now and they only use the Royal Blues as XTE.

BTW, Love your sump/frag growout tank

Unread 02/02/2014, 11:53 AM   #41
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Also wish they'd go a little more up-to-date on the LEDs, I know there's some lag time behind what a single chip can be vs what they mass produce on these types of builds but XT-Es have been out for a while now and they only use the Royal Blues as XTE.
The XT-E is only available in white and royal blue. The latest chips from Cree are the XP-G2 white (which is literally less than 5% increase over the XT-E, I don't understand why they are keeping these as separate lines) and the XP-E2 white and color lines. The XP-E2 offer a slightly lower forward voltage on the color LEDs (and no tangible output gain), but lag behind in output on the white and royal blue versus the XT-E.

RapidLED has never been about being the cutting edge - they're about getting the LEDs as cheaply as possible (which means no binning or using older LEDs) and selling kits that don't need a ton of experience to put together. If you're looking for better quality chips, then you gotta look elsewhere.

Unread 02/04/2014, 08:51 AM   #42
djmx2002
Premium Member

Not a lot of info on that Aurora puck online.... not to mention reviews. Dos anyone have some sort of experience with them, and how they compare to the Lumia 5.2?

djmx2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 08:41 PM   #43
TheRuss
Registered Member

BUMP!!! Tagging along. I am thinking about lights right now. I want to have great lights on my 220, but not sure what to do. some people around me are saying don't do LED for a mixed reef, but I'm still looking.

TheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 12:56 AM   #44
general0
Registered Member

I'm interested to see more info on this setup! It looks to have pretty good spread over your sump but I want to clarify that you stated it has a par of 50 at the edges? How far or what is the positioning of the light over the tank from the edge? I have been going back and forth between these or just doing a 3w led build. How well do you think two of these would work over a SPS dominant 120g 4ft tank? I saw you have 4 over a 48x48 and stated you would need 1 more in the middle but I have a center brace so putting three over my tank would be no good for that. Would two of these and 4 T5's be enough light for SPS?

general0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 08:23 AM   #45
Aqualund
Registered Member

Actually, I'm doing one for my 120 this weekend that is the dimensions youre talking about. I will have two lumias, and then 24 additional 3w leds...basically to take the role of the t5's you're talking about...to compensate for shading....but yeah I think that would be a great set up for you to do.

Unread 02/07/2014, 09:11 AM   #46
TriNewbie24
Registered Member

Make sure you post pics when complete, i'd really like to see the spread and pictures of one over an actual tank.

TriNewbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2014, 11:27 AM   #47
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually, I'm doing one for my 120 this weekend that is the dimensions youre talking about. I will have two lumias, and then 24 additional 3w leds...basically to take the role of the t5's you're talking about...to compensate for shading....but yeah I think that would be a great set up for you to do.
You have my attention!

Are you clustering the fill LEDs? What spectrum are they?

Unread 02/07/2014, 02:36 PM   #48
Aqualund
Registered Member

I would prefer to cluster them, but Im going try using what I already have to start with...and that's the 1.5" long heatsink. I'm going to just have cree 6500k, cree RB, exotic UV, and exotic blue. I will have them in groups of 4 at the 4 corners and 2 over the center...so basically, each lumia will have "fill" lighting in a square pattern around it. Basically trying to recreate a MH reflector pattern.

Later on, I may just redo the heatsink and make it a cluster...but I wanna see if that's necessary before I buy the new heatsinks.

Unread 02/07/2014, 03:26 PM   #49
Fredfish
Registered Member

It will be interesting to see the results. I'm curious to see how many clusters you need before you get that reflector effect.

Unread 02/07/2014, 09:15 PM   #50
zachts
Registered Member

.....and tagging along now.....

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote