Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

actuator advice on wedge tank

I have a corner bowfront. The canopy is a yard wide and a yard deep, oak, heavy as sin, and can't be tilted back: it sits down over the rim. Takes two people to lift. The tank with canopy is about 6 feet tall, so there is a 2 foot distance from canopy top to ceiling.

What sort of actuator can lift this thing safely? I do have attic access and could mount something up there with a hole for a cable, but rigging a stable one-point lift of a really heavy canopy over a glass tank is, well, something I'd never want to fail.

Anybody have any recommendations of how to go about this? I'd estimate the weight involved to be about 40-50 pounds. I could lessen this by 10-15 pounds by cutting out the top, but it's a finished piece of furniture and I'd rather not.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:32 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

A chandelier lift would work, but they are very pricey.

A DIY idea would be a winch mounted in the attic with a cable and pulley.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Brilliant. Sincerely, thank you. One of the toughest things is finding an accurate look-up word.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 10:59 AM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Brilliant. Sincerely, thank you. One of the toughest things is finding an accurate look-up word.
I know just what you mean. I often sit in front of google going "Now WTH was that thing I wanted to look up was?"

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Gorgok
Registered Member

A bicycle lift storage thing would work. They are very easy to operate as well. But it may not be the prettiest option.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 02:10 AM   #6
Tastee
Registered Member

If you want a fail safe you could connect this to the attic with two sets of cables. One set connected to the winch drum and a second set connected to the winch body or hard connected to a fixed surface in the attic.

The second set needs to be 'just' long enough for the canopy to lower. You could fit recessed buffers under the canopy so it actually sits just above the tank and rests on the buffers to stop any movement. This way if the winch fails the failsafe will still support the canopy.

If your canopy overhangs the edges of the tank then you may need to alter that design slightly so that it doesn’t, otherwise a fall could still hit the tank edge before the failsafe took over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 11:36 AM   #7
laverda
Registered Member

Ypu mentioned one point lift. I would never consider lifting with just one cable. You need at least 3 cables from the cealing down to the canopy for stability. They can attach to one cable or winch in the attic.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote