Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Rearing Bangaii Cardinal Fry in a Breeder box

Hello, I'm new to Reef Central and I have a question, can I raise Bangaii Cardinal fry in Marina Large hang on breeder box, or is there a better box I could use. All info is greatly appreciated

Sailfinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 01:17 PM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

The problem isn't the hang on. It's feeding the babies. They'll eat newly hatched artemia and I'd throw in some copepods for nutrition. If you lined the holes where the artemia couldn't escape then it is doable (I think). I removed mine to their own 1 gallon container but then you have to worry about ammonia as a hang on you wouldn't have that problem. A fake urchin and a light can help keep the fish and food in the same place.

Be aware though the heavy feeding for the babies does create ammonia. I like to use greenwater for keep the brine enriched. Obviously in the take your couldn't do green water.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 12:30 PM   #3
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about stopping the pump while I feed and then start it back up again after they finish.

Unread 01/18/2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Sailfinner
Registered Member

I will have brine constantly hatching so the fry always have newly hatched to eat. Would enriching the brine with selcon be an option as well?

Unread 01/18/2018, 03:09 PM   #5
kizanne
Registered Member

You say when feeding but the babies need to eat all day. At least I believe so based on my limited experience and reading. Welcome enrichment is doable and advisable. Remember bb don't eat the first few hours. I do know mine managed bb that were a day or two old after a week or so. I didn't try it earlier than that.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 01/19/2018, 01:37 AM   #6
socalireefdood
Registered Member

Maybe you can setup a little small 5 or 10 gallon? might help with future cultures.

socalireefdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Sailfinner
Registered Member

The Cardinal fry will be feed 5 times a day, I don't think they need to eat all day, just multiple times. My male swallowed his eggs a couple days ago, I must've not fed him enough beforehand. I'll use all this advice for next time, thanks guys.

Unread 02/07/2018, 02:24 PM   #8
PeteStarks
Registered Member

I would highly recommend a small breeding tank in the future as well. Think of it as starting off with 80% success in keeping them alive with each choice giving you a + or - % to the chance of success. 1% is really all you need to succeed if you cut corners and roll the dice on a ton of factors, but wouldn't you rather go with the higher success rate range?

PeteStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Hey guys, my male released 20 fry about a week and a half ago in the breeder box and so far everything is going great. No fatalities and everyone is looking happy and healthy. Will keep you guys posted if anything significant happens.

Unread 03/16/2018, 03:29 PM   #10
Borntrippn
Registered Member

Thats cool. Are you a breeder of them?

Borntrippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 07:17 PM   #11
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Not to sure what you mean by if I'm the breeder but yes I'm taking care of them and I own the mated pair if that's what your asking.

Unread 03/16/2018, 07:18 PM   #12
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Oh I understand now. No I'm not a breeder of them. This is my first time trying this. ��

Unread 03/16/2018, 08:33 PM   #13
kizanne
Registered Member

Good luck. I loved selling mine to my lads. I lost my pair to hurricane. Keep us updated.

Unread 03/17/2018, 06:45 AM   #14
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Wow, so sorry to hear that and for sure I'll keep you updated.

Unread 03/24/2018, 06:36 PM   #15
Sailfinner
Registered Member

Just an update: all are still going strong. None have died and they are all growing rapidly

Unread 03/24/2018, 07:05 PM   #16
kizanne
Registered Member

Awesome!

Tags
breed, breeder box, cardinal, fry