Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Tim gixxerman
Registered Member

Lightbulb Sump ?'s

I am building my wife a 40b and it is going to have a center overflow with returns (two) in the corners. Now my question is i want to have the input in the center of the sump (30 gallon 36" tank) to one side will be the skimmer and reactors. the other side will be fuge with chato and rubble rock. Can i put a return pump on both ends to go back up to the display tank?

The overflow box is 700 gallon per hour. can i run 2 350 GPH return pumps on each end separate loops i guess. and if i can should i use 1/2", 3/4", or 1" pipe?

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed, 30 fowlr
Tim gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Tim gixxerman
Registered Member

63 people and not even an " your crazy" wow! Is this in the right place?

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Playa-1
Moved On

It can be done. You can take a look at the home page of Reef Central for some handy calculators regarding headloss and pipe sizes.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Tim gixxerman
Registered Member

Thanks Playa!

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Jovandfigueroa
Registered Member

In my opinion putting a return pump directly in the fuge would cause all kinds of chaeto and sand and rubble to go into the pump. Idk what u plan to put in the fuge side but i can see the pump causing tons of problems on that side. Unless there was another section after the fuge to house the pump. So the sump would go like this from left to right. |pump-skimmer|drain|fuge |pump|

Or the fuge side could have an external pump with a screen over the pipe. For all that effort it seems more efficient to just go traditional

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Jovandfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote