Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2013, 06:43 PM   #1301
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
I hate moving fish between tanks....
moved the 2 bandits into the dt....
qt are almost empty....
That means it's time to restock the QT

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 06:49 PM   #1302
caribfan
Registered Member

That picture of your goldenheart was unreal. How was it's temperament, I've considered getting one down the road.

I totally understand getting emotionally attached to a fish, I have an Eibli and a blue throat trigger that I don't think I can ever get rid of. Not necessarily rare fish, but they've been with me for a very long time and couldn't think of trading them in - just not worth it.

The regal nipped at some arctic pods tonight, i'm going to try feeding the Hikari mysis a little bit later. I've been turning on the lights when I feed them, and then back off again when i'm done.

caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 06:52 PM   #1303
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk_reef00 View Post
That means it's time to restock the QT
so true, lol...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 06:56 PM   #1304
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
That picture of your goldenheart was unreal. How was it's temperament, I've considered getting one down the road.

I totally understand getting emotionally attached to a fish, I have an Eibli and a blue throat trigger that I don't think I can ever get rid of. Not necessarily rare fish, but they've been with me for a very long time and couldn't think of trading them in - just not worth it.

The regal nipped at some arctic pods tonight, i'm going to try feeding the Hikari mysis a little bit later. I've been turning on the lights when I feed them, and then back off again when i'm done.
the gh was a wonderful fish..she grew very, very fast and got very large but was always wonderfully mellow..I could pet her when cleaning the tank and she was always curious as to what I was doing...her gentleness can be seen in the pics with the cortez cleaning her...she was unique...

Unread 08/08/2013, 06:59 PM   #1305
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:

I would leave the lights off...maybe the actinics or moons but no white...keep trying the pe Mysis and spir brine....

Unread 08/08/2013, 09:37 PM   #1306
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
I would leave the lights off...maybe the actinics or moons but no white...keep trying the pe Mysis and spir brine....
The regal is definitely pecking at the arctic pods and Hikari mysis. The Venustus is much more interested in grazing at the moment, although every now and then he will look at some mysis.

I think Im expecting them to devour a ton of food and I keep forgetting that thry are tiny.

Tomorrow I'm going to alternate between just pods and Hikari mysis and see how things go, although I still have one trick left up my sleeve.

Again, really appreciate all the advice.

Unread 08/09/2013, 09:06 AM   #1307
Holyhands22
Registered Member

Hey huma what do you feed and do you feed the same items every day or do you have 15 different food items you constantly mix?? What are those items? If you dont mind me asking?

Holyhands22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 10:11 AM   #1308
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
The regal is definitely pecking at the arctic pods and Hikari mysis. The Venustus is much more interested in grazing at the moment, although every now and then he will look at some mysis.

I think Im expecting them to devour a ton of food and I keep forgetting that thry are tiny.

Tomorrow I'm going to alternate between just pods and Hikari mysis and see how things go, although I still have one trick left up my sleeve.

Again, really appreciate all the advice.
cool...sounds good...
lol, my fish wont eat Hikari Mysis, so I only use pe..

Unread 08/09/2013, 10:16 AM   #1309
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhands22 View Post
Hey huma what do you feed and do you feed the same items every day or do you have 15 different food items you constantly mix?? What are those items? If you dont mind me asking?
I feed pe Mysis, spir/omega brine, fresh seafood-clams, shrimp, scallop, nori...
I use Larry's Reef Frenzy, all types, he makes a special chunky garlic-free blend for me which I love and my fish love...
We have talked about Larry's food in the thread a couple pages back...
I highly recommend his food...

I am currently feeding about 3-5 times a day and do not feed the same food back-to-back...

I don't use any dry food...

Unread 08/09/2013, 10:40 AM   #1310
Holyhands22
Registered Member

Larrys food looks awesome. There isn't any local stores around me so i sent him an email thanks for the recommendation

Unread 08/09/2013, 11:32 AM   #1311
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Larrys food looks awesome. There isn't any local stores around me so i sent him an email thanks for the recommendation
cool..if you have larger fish ask him if has any of the special "chunky garlic-free" blend he makes for me left...

all his blends are excellent...

Unread 08/09/2013, 11:34 AM   #1312
NTP66
Registered Member

The only way Larry could make his food better is if he cut it up for me when I feed my tank at night.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 11:38 AM   #1313
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
The only way Larry could make his food better is if he cut it up for me when I feed my tank at night.
I agree....though I keep telling him I am going to fry up a fish cake using his food and one day...

Unread 08/09/2013, 11:48 AM   #1314
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree....though I keep telling him I am going to fry up a fish cake using his food and one day...
lol, I'll have to take your word on the outcome of that one.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 12:21 PM   #1315
Holyhands22
Registered Member

Quote:
cool..if you have larger fish ask him if has any of the special "chunky garlic-free" blend he makes for me left...

all his blends are excellent...
Yeah he said that they make a chunky version that he could sell me if i was interested.

Unread 08/09/2013, 12:57 PM   #1316
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah he said that they make a chunky version that he could sell me if i was interested.
lol, will let you know...
Larry keeps the Hikari Mysis out of my mix as my fish don't like it, there is pe Mysis though....other than that just a seafood blend...one day...

Unread 08/09/2013, 01:13 PM   #1317
michaelmmreef01
aka redsea

Hi there, I was just wondering what you did with water from PWCs. Thanks!

Unread 08/09/2013, 01:37 PM   #1318
humaguy
Premium Member

if I can use it, I do...but mostly it goes down the drain...

Unread 08/09/2013, 01:40 PM   #1319
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
yes, that is the blend that he makes for a few of us and it is simply the perfect food for large fish...
I also like it garlic-free, Hikari Mysis free and Larry is happy to oblige me...

btw, Larry always uses PE Mysis unless he is out and then switches to Hikari...

Unread 08/09/2013, 01:44 PM   #1320
Holyhands22
Registered Member

Is there more nutritional value in pe mysis more the hikari. Or is it just a fish preference?

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:00 PM   #1321
humaguy
Premium Member

Daniel,

imo, pe mysis is one of the very best foods you can feed your fish...a freshwater Mysis that is full of protein...it does need to be rinsed off thoroughly though...
they are also coming out with a younger and smaller version that will be wonderful for smaller fish...

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:18 PM   #1322
Holyhands22
Registered Member

Quote:
Daniel,

imo, pe mysis is one of the very best foods you can feed your fish...a freshwater Mysis that is full of protein...it does need to be rinsed off thoroughly though...
they are also coming out with a younger and smaller version that will be wonderful for smaller fish...
There are so many brands and types of fish food out there and most of them say they do this and that but its good to get some nice info ok. Time to change up my feeding techniques.

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:23 PM   #1323
humaguy
Premium Member

get some pe Mysis, la has and many lfs carry the cubes and flats...just a terrific food...
but remember to rinse it until the water runs clearish....

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:30 PM   #1324
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Daniel,

Compare the crude protein on a pack of PE mysis and a pack of Hikari Mysis.

10.5% on Hikari, 69.5% on Mysis. Of course those are the minimum percentages, I supposed Hikari could just be sandbagging it...

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:53 PM   #1325
angelfish7
Registered Member

LRS food and PE Mysis are the best ... I threw out the ON cubes after I received Larrys food. Never seen my angels so eager to eat! they do love the NLS pellets also .

Current Tank Info: Scribbled angel, blond naso tang, purple tang, fowleri tang, percula clown. /f - SRO 3000 INT skimmer
angelfish7 is offline   Reply With Quote