Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2017, 06:06 PM   #1
rogeragrimes
Registered Member

Parasite on Bangai Cardinalfish?

I just noticed what looks like a "spear" breaking out of the side of my Bangai Cardinalfish, like the scene from Alien. I'm guessing it's a parasite. Anyone know for sure? Fish seems to be behaving normally, eating normally. Not sure how long it's had it, but I just noticed it.

I've attached four pictures of the same thing, but none of them are particular good, unfortunately.

BGF1.jpgBGF2.jpgImage00002.jpgImage00001.jpg

rogeragrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 10:11 AM   #2
m1923
Registered Member

Ive encountered this before ,i just did nothing, it disappeared some days later

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

m1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeragrimes View Post
I just noticed what looks like a "spear" breaking out of the side of my Bangai Cardinalfish, like the scene from Alien. I'm guessing it's a parasite. Anyone know for sure? Fish seems to be behaving normally, eating normally. Not sure how long it's had it, but I just noticed it.

I've attached four pictures of the same thing, but none of them are particular good, unfortunately.

Attachment 378501Attachment 378502Attachment 378503Attachment 378504
So this happened to my clownfish once. I think its an infection, due to the fish flashing and it cut itself. It got white and kind of gross, like something was being pushed out. All i did was keep that fish fat with food. It took about a week but it healed up and the fish kind of has a scar there, like it got shanked in a knife fight.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 08:57 AM   #4
rogeragrimes
Registered Member

It's dead and the alien broke out

It died, and there is a big hole where the white thing used to be. So I think whatever it was, it broke out, Alien-style. I didn't see it happen, so I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely that the only missing part (from the CUP) would be the hole in the same place.Image00001.jpg

Unread 08/25/2017, 09:37 PM   #5
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeragrimes View Post
It died, and there is a big hole where the white thing used to be. So I think whatever it was, it broke out, Alien-style. I didn't see it happen, so I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely that the only missing part (from the CUP) would be the hole in the same place.Attachment 378584
Better get a pulse rifle and flame thrower.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 09:20 AM   #6
rogeragrimes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newms118 View Post
Better get a pulse rifle and flame thrower.
I would love to find out what it was, so I can take precautionary steps to kill/minimize if it's likely to kill more fish.