Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/15/2012, 11:41 AM   #2476
Carl T
Registered Member

I want to set up a counter top display. I am thinking of a IM Nuvo Nano 8g. No sump or skimmer, Chemi-Pure & Purigen for filtration, and frequent water changes (5-7 days) for export. Live Rock & 2" sand bed.
I would like to feature a Orchid Dottyback and Yellow Watchman Goby / Pistol pair.
Other inhabitants would consist of various snails, Softs, and LPS.

Unread 05/15/2012, 12:30 PM   #2477
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmoreci View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Steve! If I remove the Toby and Damsel, is there anything else you would recommend with the others on my list?
For a variety of reasons, we do not do recommendations. Generally speaking, small fish with interesting behaviors are always more interesting than larger fish, even in much larger tanks.

Unread 05/15/2012, 12:32 PM   #2478
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl T View Post
I want to set up a counter top display. I am thinking of a IM Nuvo Nano 8g. No sump or skimmer, Chemi-Pure & Purigen for filtration, and frequent water changes (5-7 days) for export. Live Rock & 2" sand bed.
I would like to feature a Orchid Dottyback and Yellow Watchman Goby / Pistol pair.
Other inhabitants would consist of various snails, Softs, and LPS.
Orchid dottybacks require larger tanks (30 gallons upwards) but a firefish and the watchman goby would work.

Unread 05/15/2012, 02:21 PM   #2479
curlykid
Registered Member

Hey Steve I would like to know for a future build, how would 2 Candy Basslets, 2 Helfrichi's Firefish, and 2 Neon Gobies do in an SPS dominated 70g Artisan? Thanks.

Unread 05/15/2012, 03:43 PM   #2480
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlykid View Post
Hey Steve I would like to know for a future build, how would 2 Candy Basslets, 2 Helfrichi's Firefish, and 2 Neon Gobies do in an SPS dominated 70g Artisan? Thanks.
Only if they were paired. See for example on the Fish section of Divers Den paired candy basslets. I know of at least one person on the board that keeps a pair. Same issue with the other fish you asked about

Unread 05/15/2012, 03:46 PM   #2481
curlykid
Registered Member

Thanks steve, yeah that's what I meant. I'm going to try to get a pair of each.

Unread 05/15/2012, 03:48 PM   #2482
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Thanks steve, yeah that's what I meant. I'm going to try to get a pair of each.
That will be an awesome tank. Candy basslets are much more vivid than photographs show (I only have one) and Alicia has hers mate frequently.

Unread 05/15/2012, 07:58 PM   #2483
PietschBR
Registered Member

Yellowtail Damselfish

Hello,

I have a JBJ 28g LED setup, using tunze 9002 skimmer and doing weekly 15% water change with RO/DI.
My tank is almost 2 years old and have several LPS, SPS, softies, a clam and BTA.

Fishes:
Pair of ocellaris clownfish hosting a BTA.
Sixline wrasse.
Yellow neon goby.
Royal Gramma.

I've been wanting to add a 6th fish to the tank and would like to know what you think about a yellowtail damsel?
would it be too aggressive toward others? maybe the sixline would be aggressive toward it? is the system heavily loaded and maybe i shouldn't add another fish?

thank you.

Unread 05/15/2012, 08:06 PM   #2484
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PietschBR View Post
Hello,

I have a JBJ 28g LED setup, using tunze 9002 skimmer and doing weekly 15% water change with RO/DI.
My tank is almost 2 years old and have several LPS, SPS, softies, a clam and BTA.

Fishes:
Pair of ocellaris clownfish hosting a BTA. Once sexually mature, a pair of clowns will want to control about 25-30 gallons of tank
Sixline wrasse. can be very aggressive
Yellow neon goby.
Royal Gramma.

I've been wanting to add a 6th fish to the tank and would like to know what you think about a yellowtail damsel?
would it be too aggressive toward others? maybe the sixline would be aggressive toward it? is the system heavily loaded and maybe i shouldn't add another fish?

I would not add another fish; the sixline wrasse will be unpredictably aggressive and a damsel is also aggressive. As mentioned previously the clowns may be an issue in the longer run

thank you.

Unread 05/16/2012, 08:31 AM   #2485
tbanks
Registered Member

Nube to saltwater and I'm trying to narrow down my stocking list.(assuming compatibility). My tank has been running 10 days and I haven't seen much of a cycle. Diatoms are starting to show up...running 80-83 degrees

CUC - Cerith Snails (4), Trochus (4), Nassaruis (1). Thoughts? My LR has a lot of surface area...is this enough?

Fish
Bicolor Blenny
Bicolor Dottyback
Clown Goby
Firefish
Ocellaris Clown (tank breed) - must have for my son.

Hopeing to keep the following corals - Polyps, Mushrooms and Xenia

Thanks, TB

Biocube 29: 30 lbs LR, 25 lbs LS. InTank Media in Chamber 2 - (FF, Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite) plan to grow cheato in fuge.

Last edited by tbanks; 05/16/2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Sig. block didn't show up.
Unread 05/16/2012, 09:51 AM   #2486
kahkah
Registered Member

I have a 60 gallon 2 foot cube with about 30 lbs of live rock, then another 25 lbs in my sump holding another 30 or so gallons.

I currently have the following in the tank:
2x ocellaris clowns w/ bta
2x Banggai cardinals w/ long spine urchin
1x coral beauty angelfish
1x yellow watchman goby w/ pistol shrimp
1x Sally lightfoot crab
1x porcelain crab
and various snails and blue legged hermit crabs

I would like to add a harem of mccoskers flasher wrasse to the tank but I wasnt sure if I had the space and if so how many females

Also I was wanting to possible add a blue spot jawfish at some point

Any advice on if I can add both (and home many mccoskers), some or none of either will be appreciated.

Unread 05/16/2012, 10:19 AM   #2487
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanks View Post
Nube to saltwater and I'm trying to narrow down my stocking list.(assuming compatibility). My tank has been running 10 days and I haven't seen much of a cycle. Diatoms are starting to show up...running 80-83 degrees

feed a bit of flake food and it well accelerate

CUC - Cerith Snails (4), Trochus (4), Nassaruis (1). Thoughts? My LR has a lot of surface area...is this enough?

Fish
Bicolor Blenny
Bicolor Dottyback avoid, very aggressive and not compatible with firefish
Clown Goby
Firefish introduce first
Ocellaris Clown (tank breed) - must have for my son.

Hopeing to keep the following corals - Polyps, Mushrooms and Xenia

all are easy but will take over your tank

Thanks, TB

Biocube 29: 30 lbs LR, 25 lbs LS. InTank Media in Chamber 2 - (FF, Purigen and Chemi Pure Elite) plan to grow cheato in fuge.

Unread 05/16/2012, 12:47 PM   #2488
tbanks
Registered Member

Thanks Steve.

Will this work for total numbers and order? How much time between introduction to next in line?

Firefish X 2
Clown
Blenny
Goby

Unread 05/16/2012, 02:37 PM   #2489
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanks View Post
Thanks Steve.

Will this work for total numbers and order? How much time between introduction to next in line?

Firefish X 2 For two to work, they should be a male + female long term; unfortunately there is no morphological way to tell the sexes apart
Clown
Blenny
Goby
order is fine

Unread 05/16/2012, 02:43 PM   #2490
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkah View Post
I have a 60 gallon 2 foot cube with about 30 lbs of live rock, then another 25 lbs in my sump holding another 30 or so gallons.

I currently have the following in the tank:
2x ocellaris clowns w/ bta
2x Banggai cardinals w/ long spine urchin hopefully a male + female
1x coral beauty angelfish
1x yellow watchman goby w/ pistol shrimp
1x Sally lightfoot crab careful with this one
1x porcelain crab
and various snails and blue legged hermit crabs

I would like to add a harem of mccoskers flasher wrasse to the tank but I wasnt sure if I had the space and if so how many females

Well, a pair would work for sure and probably a triad. Be sure you have a cover with 1/4 inch holes for these

Also I was wanting to possible add a blue spot jawfish at some point

A prolific jumper, this fish needs cooler temperatures and a substantial sand bed. It would be beneficial to build a home for this fish using pvc and it will need rock rubble as well. If you do this I might suggest only two flasher wrasses.

Any advice on if I can add both (and home many mccoskers), some or none of either will be appreciated.

Unread 05/16/2012, 03:38 PM   #2491
curlykid
Registered Member

Steve, forgot to ask, should the order of introduction go like this:
Neon Goby pair
Helfrichi's Firefish pair
Candy Basslet pair?
Thanks

Unread 05/16/2012, 04:22 PM   #2492
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Steve, forgot to ask, should the order of introduction go like this:
Neon Goby pair
Helfrichi's Firefish pair
Candy Basslet pair?
Thanks
That would be fine.

Unread 05/16/2012, 05:14 PM   #2493
eric w
Registered Member

First fish ideas

Hi all, have a rsm250 been going for about 3 weeks now. Done cycling, Cuc in and next week want to get my first fish to go into my QT for 4 weeks. I need help with a cool first fish. Could do a clown.. Everyone does those so any ideas would be great. Thx

Unread 05/16/2012, 06:02 PM   #2494
Rfr4evr
Registered Member

Tank is set!!!

Ok we just got our 230 gallon set up and cycled and have already added one Lion Fish which is doing great so far. We have decided to make it an agressive tank.

With the purchase of the tank we also were given a ****** and a young snow flake eel.

Will the eel and ****** be safe with the Lion, and also can more than one Lion be added to a tank this size?

The Lion is small only about 5 inchs long and the lfs had a couple more the same size.

Thanks

Unread 05/16/2012, 08:27 PM   #2495
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric w View Post
Hi all, have a rsm250 been going for about 3 weeks now. Done cycling, Cuc in and next week want to get my first fish to go into my QT for 4 weeks. I need help with a cool first fish. Could do a clown.. Everyone does those so any ideas would be great. Thx
Sorry, for a variety of reasons I do not do recommendations. I will be happy to provide commentary on a possible stocking list as long as you give me tank size, etc.

Unread 05/16/2012, 08:30 PM   #2496
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfr4evr View Post
Ok we just got our 230 gallon set up and cycled and have already added one Lion Fish which is doing great so far. We have decided to make it an agressive tank.

With the purchase of the tank we also were given a ****** and a young snow flake eel.

Will the eel and ****** be safe with the Lion, and also can more than one Lion be added to a tank this size?

The Lion is small only about 5 inchs long and the lfs had a couple more the same size.

Thanks
Sorry, I do not provide commentary on aggressive tanks. We do have an Aggressive forum which can be found here. I am sure you can get many comments on an aggressive stocking list there.

Unread 05/16/2012, 09:02 PM   #2497
purpletanglvr
Registered Member

I am just getting back into the hobby. Took a 6 year vacation from it but I can't stand it and am going to jump back in. Here is what I am about to purchase over the next few weeks. Keep in mind I'm starting out fish only with live rock for a while.

120 gal tank
135 lbs live rock
Refugium -not sure on what kind or custom. Not the best DIY guy
Skimmer - Again not decided. I want one that more than does the job.
Lights - suggestions. I have a compact flo setup from my previous tank

Desired fish:
Purple Tang - must have over all other fish. Every tank I have setup in the past had 1
Flame angel
Powder blue or yellow tang. If my tank is large enough. I know it is said not to mix tangs but I see it a lot. I won't do it if consensus says not to.
Cleaner or fire shrimp
Blue green chromis
Bangaii cardinal
Percula clowns

Unread 05/17/2012, 01:10 AM   #2498
kahkah
Registered Member

Thanks for the help.

Looks like I might hold off on the jawfish because I have less than 2 inches of sand in my display. now time to try and track down female mccoskers.

And I have had the cardinals together for about two years, I assume if they were going to be any aggression I would have seen it at this point. I bought them as juveniles and never researched how to tell the males from the females.

I have had the Sally Lightfoot for a year or so and have tried to watch out for aggression (missing fish). I have yet to have a problem other than my female clown and it fighting over food on the occasion. I keep a close eye on the crab, and any worries I can also put it in the sump. Plenty of room for it there.

Thanks again for your time and help

Last edited by kahkah; 05/17/2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 05/17/2012, 04:09 AM   #2499
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpletanglvr View Post
I am just getting back into the hobby. Took a 6 year vacation from it but I can't stand it and am going to jump back in. Here is what I am about to purchase over the next few weeks. Keep in mind I'm starting out fish only with live rock for a while.

120 gal tank
135 lbs live rock
Refugium -not sure on what kind or custom. Not the best DIY guy
Skimmer - Again not decided. I want one that more than does the job.
Lights - suggestions. I have a compact flo setup from my previous tank

Desired fish:
Purple Tang - must have over all other fish. Every tank I have setup in the past had 1
Flame angel
Powder blue or yellow tang. If my tank is large enough. I know it is said not to mix tangs but I see it a lot. I won't do it if consensus says not to.

This particular thread is not a consensus thread but if you want to get a lot of opinions, the Reef Fish forum will provide that. I personally would not do or recommend two tangs, especially with the RC recommended minimum tank size for a purple at 120 gallons.

Cleaner or fire shrimp
Blue green chromis
Bangaii cardinal
Percula clowns
otherwise, stocking is fine

Unread 05/17/2012, 04:11 AM   #2500
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkah View Post
Thanks for the help.

Looks like I might hold off on the jawfish because I have less than 2 inches of sand in my display. now time to try and track down female mccoskers.

I see females online periodically but rarely in LFS.

And I have had the cardinals together for about two years, I assume if they were going to be any aggression I would have seen it at this point. I bought them as juveniles and never researched how to tell the males from the females.

Then you should be fine.

I have had the Sally Lightfoot for a year or so and have tried to watch out for aggression (missing fish). I have yet to have a problem other than my female clown and it fighting over food on the occasion. I keep a close eye on the crab, and any worries I can also put it in the sump. Plenty of room for it there.

Thanks again for your time and help

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility