Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2010, 12:40 AM   #1
bhammer
Addicted User

Coral and Reef App

All, I have thought about making an app for the iPhone that has a database of fish, corals and inverts in it. I have the Marine Aquarium Fish app but I think I could better. Here are some questions:

1. If I made it free would you be willing to help build / collect the data?
2. What would you like it to contain as far as info?
3. Would it be a helpfull app to you or would it just be another neat app?
4. What features would you like to see?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great. If by all means someone else has an app, let me know.

bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Daniel Reef
Registered Member

Tagging along.

20g Life Reef sump
5ft Life Reef Skimmer

See my album for pre-build tank pictures.
Daniel Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 09:45 AM   #3
maroun.c
Registered Member

Would be nice to have an onhand compatibility chart for fish and also for corals for people new in the hobby to check before making impulse buy while at LFS.
also maybe the minimum requirment siye of a tank for each fish as well as lighting demand for different corals...

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
maroun.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 10:07 AM   #4
steelhead77
Registered Member

I'd like to see a glossary, brief description and benefits of the equipment, paraphernalia and methods that are part of this hobby. ie: skimmer, calcium reactor, kalkawasser, dosing, etc.

Also, an easy to use tracking app for tracking water params with reminder alarms for water changes, dosing etc.

Hope this helps.

steelhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 11:30 AM   #5
bhammer
Addicted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroun.c View Post
....onhand compatibility chart for fish and also for corals.....the minimum requirment siye of a tank....lighting demand......
Added to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroun.c View Post
before making impulse buy while at LFS.
Been there and done that but so far none of those have turned out to be bad impulses.... YET.

Unread 01/06/2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Servillius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammer View Post
All, I have thought about making an app for the iPhone that has a database of fish, corals and inverts in it. I have the Marine Aquarium Fish app but I think I could better. Here are some questions:

1. If I made it free would you be willing to help build / collect the data?
2. What would you like it to contain as far as info?
3. Would it be a helpfull app to you or would it just be another neat app?
4. What features would you like to see?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great. If by all means someone else has an app, let me know.

If you are going to enter in info like compatability, ideal tank size, etc., then a really slick feature would be the ability to remember what you have in one or more tanks and, for each fish or coral you look at, offer a likelyhood of compatability. Depending on how complex you want to get, either a simple boolean yes/no, or a 1 - 10 rating depending on the other inhabitants and the setup. I don't think this is an awfully compex algorithm, it will take a good database, but that is what you are talking about putting together here.

Servillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 04:15 PM   #7
bhammer
Addicted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servillius View Post
If you are going to enter in info like compatability, ideal tank size, etc., then a really slick feature would be the ability to remember what you have in one or more tanks and, for each fish or coral you look at, offer a likelyhood of compatability. Depending on how complex you want to get, either a simple boolean yes/no, or a 1 - 10 rating depending on the other inhabitants and the setup. I don't think this is an awfully compex algorithm, it will take a good database, but that is what you are talking about putting together here.
Yes, I had thought about it....

The issue I see with this is that some expirence better results than others. I know folks that have had sixlines for years and never had any issues in 75G. I also know people that have them in 200G and after 6mo they go crazy....

Unread 01/06/2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Daniel Reef
Registered Member

What about the invert, coral or fish's predators?

20g Life Reef sump
5ft Life Reef Skimmer

See my album for pre-build tank pictures.
Daniel Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 11:51 PM   #9
ERICinFL
Rejisturd Mimbur

It might take some work, but if you could enter all your tank info (Gallons, lighting, flow in the display, types of fish, inverts, etc.) and have it available to compare when thinking about a purchase, that would be cool. So if you want to buy an Acro, but you only have 20watts of light and 100gph flow in a 90gal tank, it'll tell you it's not a good idea. Same thing goes if you have a fish that will nip at it. Or if you want a Lion Fish and you have small inhabitants already, it'll advise against it. If you open source the program, or have a website for people to add info (of course you'd have to check accuracy before updating) that would take some of the work load off you. Awesome idea.

Sorry kids, your college fund is gone, but the tank looks SWEET right?

Current Tank Info: 150gal mixed reef. ER CS135, 65gal sump/fuge with a Mag12 return. (2) Korillia 4s, (1) modded MJ1200, two SunSun 3200gph powerheads. 250+lbs LR.
ERICinFL is offline   Reply With Quote