Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Adam15
Registered Member

Copperband Butterfly feeding

I was wondering if my copperband will eat steamed crabs I had some left over from eating. I figured I would ask before I stuck it in my tank when I shouldn't have.

Adam15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Epicreefer
Registered Member

I would be willing to give it a try with a small piece. I've found copper bands to devour tubifex or black worms, almost none of them even make it to the sanded.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder sps
Epicreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 09:09 AM   #3
rgulrich
greybeard

You might want to hold back on the "Old Bay" seasoning, though....
(I'm sorry, I really couldn't resist)

+1 on the live black worms, though!

Current Tank Info: 360 degree walk around 300 DD island–4 300W & 2 165W ViparSpectra, 4 Kessil A350W, 2 A360WE, 3 XF150, 1 XF250, 1 XF350 Gyre along with 2 PP40 and 2 IceCap 3K gyre for robust current. Basement 150 gallon RubberMaid sump, SKIMZ skimmer, DCP18000
rgulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 12:10 PM   #4
jedimaster1138
Registered Member

+ 100 Live Blackworms. My CBB demolishes them. As do all my fish actually.

He likes frozen brine shrimp too. Not the most nutritious of food though of course... a good thing to also try is to mix frozen brine AND frozen mysis. Eventually he'll eat both. At least mine does.

jedimaster1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Adam15
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies but the crab meat didn't work. He went nuts at first but he kept spitting it out. So far he is eating Marine Blend, mysis shrimp, and a raw clam. I haven't found black worms yet. Where can I get them?

Adam15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 05:52 PM   #6
rgulrich
greybeard

Local fish shops usually carry them on a routine basis -they keep them in a fridge and you'll have to ask for them.
Otherwise, if he really turns into a chow hound (as well as the rest of the occupants when they discover them), you can google "raising blackworms" and come up with a couple of hits for places that will set you up to breed them pretty easily. I travel a bit, so I rely on the infrequent "splurge" visit to the pet shop to spoil the fin gang.

Current Tank Info: 360 degree walk around 300 DD island–4 300W & 2 165W ViparSpectra, 4 Kessil A350W, 2 A360WE, 3 XF150, 1 XF250, 1 XF350 Gyre along with 2 PP40 and 2 IceCap 3K gyre for robust current. Basement 150 gallon RubberMaid sump, SKIMZ skimmer, DCP18000
rgulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2013, 01:19 PM   #7
PincheReefTank
Registered Member

copied this from another thread I posted in, my CB is long gone now but doing great in someone else's tank and still using the feeder. they do love black worms its like crack cocaine for them. but I did not want to go down that road with my cb, its harder then hell to get them to eat anything else once they start eating black worms

I put mine through QT and treated it with cupramine and prazipro. It was housed with a royal gamma while in qt. In QT it ate frozen mysis and eventully grew to love arcti pods even more. After adding to DT I started offering it food in a feeder I made. Now after about a month trying it out he goes after and nibbles at pretty much anything I put in the feeder. When I have leftover food from the coral feedings, zooplankton mixed with oyster feast, ultra amin and cyclop eeze I'll take it and add some arctipods put it in the feeder and he goes nuts for it. The fish now goes nuts as soon as it sees the feeder in my hand. I got the idea from another thread on CBs. The feeder I made is just a 3/4" pvc cut to about 4" and capped at both ends (slipped on). it has three holes drilled in it just big enough to get his snout through drilled length wise across the feeder. Some of the other feeders I saw in the thread had more holes or less holes in various patterns all over the feeder but I ended up with just three in a straight line across the pipe cause I was having a hard time keeping the food in the feeder. Just add food and toss it in th DT till he figures out what it is (I leave mine in for an hour and remove it). And it does not matter if the feeder gets flipped over after I toss it in the tank the CB will find always find a way to wedge his snawz in to extract the food. Also, RIP to the two beautiful maximas I used to own that he efficiently devoured. In my experience these fish love live food, clams and featherdusters were the first things to disappeare in my tank.

here is the thread on CBs with info on feeders
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...tterfly&page=4

PincheReefTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 10:58 PM   #8
cy93
Registered Member

Pinchereef, the link doesn't work...

cy93 is offline   Reply With Quote