Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2016, 12:59 PM   #1176
Normski619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
I went with the Jebao DCT6000 on mine, been pretty happy with it.
Same here...they're great pumps. Been using mine for a couple of years now. Super quite.

On another note, anyone using Kessil A360we on thier SCA66?

Normski619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 02:39 PM   #1177
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I have eheim in mine currently but they are on the long side. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-...um-heater.html

A lot of people rock the finnex. Issue with finnex is that their temp controller on cheaper models has a large swing. If you get an apex though that is not an issue...
This. I run mine off the apex controller between 79.8 and 80.2.

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 07:55 PM   #1178
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normski619 View Post
On another note, anyone using Kessil A360we on thier SCA66?
The 66 is 32x24. You are over the upper range for single 360 eesoecially when you account for shadowing. You would likely need 2 to account for shadowing and supply enough light fr the tank

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2016, 01:04 PM   #1179
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Wow that 66 price is a great deal!

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2016, 07:44 PM   #1180
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss View Post
Thank you very much for your comments! Much appreciated!!!

Regarding the RO system, I'll read up on that. Its a Watts Premier from Costco.

Regarding the Neptune Apex, I was afraid of that . Is there any way I can do it cheaper???

Yes. I use a reefangel. I have 3 temp sensors, 1 ph, 4 water level sensors (controls the Ato pump and water level through a dc 12000)

It s not as pretty as Neptune Systems - their office is down the street from me, but it works perfect with iPhone app. Cost is about half to start and the expansions are also very good priced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2016, 05:13 AM   #1181
greaps
Registered Member

Saw a big "deal of the day" on their site. I'd snatch up that 66g system if I didn't have the 50 now.

Unread 09/10/2016, 11:32 AM   #1182
oside erinn
Registered Member

Wish I would've waited and got the 66

Current tank info: 50 gallon SCA Starfire PNP, Aquaillumination Prime HD

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon SCA PNP Reef
oside erinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2016, 01:24 PM   #1183
kzaveri19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3speed4me View Post
Wow that 66 price is a great deal!
What was the price?

Unread 09/10/2016, 01:26 PM   #1184
kzaveri19
Registered Member

LOL .. Just saw it on their website.

Unread 09/10/2016, 06:34 PM   #1185
GfordQC
Registered Member

Just purchased the 90 cube so ready to go!

GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2016, 06:16 PM   #1186
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzaveri19 View Post
What was the price?

Was 795 with normal stand.

I have a 75 gallon coming though!

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2016, 10:24 AM   #1187
V4Vendetta
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss View Post
Hi guys, I just pulled the trigger on the 66 gallon Labor Day special, so I’m getting the tank, solid wood stand, and sump filtration. I have been out of the hobby for over 20 years so take it easy on me . My ultimate plan is to have a small reef set-up, but we love fish so the emphasis will always be on the fish! I’d like to start with mostly fish, and perhaps some live rock, and then perhaps later transition to a mix of fish and corals, but nothing too crazy.

I have read through a lot of pages on this thread and others, and I have to say the information is a little overwhelming at the moment. I’d really like to take it slow with this build, step by step and (re) learning along the way. My fist priority obviously is to get the tank erected and the plumbing set-up, and then fill up with sand and water and some live rock and let it cycle.

While I have many questions, most of which I hope you guys can help me with, I want to start from the beginning and with the basics. So my first concern is the proper set-up of the tank. I will continue reading through this (and other) thread, but I would really appreciate a few hints or tips any of you may want to share regarding the set-up. The LAST thing I want to do is make a mistake and then have to end up draining the tank later on to fix it! I am also very concerned with potential leaks and I want to do everything I can to prevent them from happening. So here are my initial questions:

Plumbing - I have read about issues with the provided plumbing. Would it be better to replace it from the beginning with something better? I'll be going with a Herbie drain. BTW, I talked with Steve today, great guy!, and he said the plumbing provided now is all SCH40 so I will try to use as much of it as I can. I already ordered the gate valve for the main return line from Amazon. I guess I will just start laying it out and see what I can use and what I still need to get.

Return pump - I got Steve to take the pump out of my order and he recommended the Jabeo 12000. At first sight it seems a bit overkill but I see the merits of using a pump at 50% capacity or less and it lasting a very long time that way. Eventually I will probably want to take full advantage of the DC motor and use the pump in combination with an "auto-leveling" controller for the overflow. I have to read up on this some more but I am assuming this pump will be compatible for something like that...will it?

Lighting - Probably the hardest decision I had to make so far...I decided on a single Kessil A360WE for now. It definitely is much more than what I was willing to spend originally, but after seeing and reading about the awesome shimmer these lamps produce, I have to say I had no other choice!

Here a couple of things I will be looking at once the tank is set-up:

Starting the cycle process - Do I use live rock or dead rock and introduce cultures in a different way? What sand is best? - I would really like it to be coarse with lots of coral fragments in it.

Water - We have an RO system for drinking water and I plan on "piggy-backing" on it daily, transferring water to a storage container in the garage which I will then use for mixing in salt.

ATO - Here is where I would like some input, what would you guys recommend? The reservoir will be located in the storage space behind the wall.

Controls - I am a big techy and I love the ability to monitor and (perhaps) control systems remotely. I love the idea of having some sort of master control for all, or most, of the systems, and being able to control them from my phone. Therefore, do I need to be conscious of my particular choices of hardware I purchase from here on? - This is an area I really need help with. This includes pH, temperature, salinity, and any other parameters that can be monitored electronically.

I have a storage space behind the wall where the tank will go, so I plan to mount all the controls, gauges, etc on the inside wall of that storage space. I can also envision mounting a wifi security camera zoomed in on the controls to be able to monitor everything remotely should the "on my phone" option be to complicated and/or too costly.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input guys, I am so excited about getting back into the hobby! My tank will arrive in about a week so I have time to do my research and decide on the best path forward.

-Kaigoss
how much did he deduct from the original price for excluding the pump? if you don't mind me askin..

Hello, everyone, new member here,
I'm ready to pull the trigger on 66g but I don't need a pump since I already have one I can use.

Do you guys think MDF stand is adequate or should I just upgrade it to wood cabinet?

Thanks.

V4Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2016, 10:31 AM   #1188
soulpatch
Registered Member

mdf works but honestly for the cost of the upgrade to wood and the durability of wood around water vs mdf makes the upgrade the wise choice

Unread 09/12/2016, 02:08 PM   #1189
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4Vendetta View Post
Do you guys think MDF stand is adequate or should I just upgrade it to wood cabinet? Thanks.
In my opinion the wood cabinet is a no brainer. It is excellent quality and a VERY valuable upgrade considering how much we spend on our tanks as a whole.

Unread 09/12/2016, 08:43 PM   #1190
CafeReef
Registered Member

Completely agree with Tex. Steve accidentaly shipped me the mdf stand when I was supposed to get the solid wood stand, so I was able to compare both. No comparing, well worth the $ to upgrade

Unread 09/13/2016, 12:35 AM   #1191
texdoc77
Registered Member

Just added a video of my AWC system on my build thread which you can find here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2595424

Unread 09/14/2016, 07:47 PM   #1192
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

I really need help setting up a ghost overflow in my SC150 gal... I wanted to ask anyone with a tank with glass bracing if they could measure the distance from the top of the glass wall to the water level when the standard center overflow is functioning... Im trying to drill the holes for the overflow on the back glass, but since these tanks have glass bracing, it can become a bit difficult to figure the correct water level. Thanks for any help!

Unread 09/15/2016, 09:51 AM   #1193
acer
Registered Member

This is why i did a custom, because SC puts tge glass eurobrace well over 2 inches below the top of the tank.

acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 10:02 AM   #1194
soulpatch
Registered Member

I will measure tonight. I dont think it is much more then 1.5 inches. I also have my water height just about to the eurobrace (actualy hits it in front since returns push forward)

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:11 AM   #1195
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm bummed. I got the synergy overflow inside box touching the eurobrace, so the highest I can set it will put the water level 2.5" below the glass top. That's still 1.25" below the front eurobrace....wondering if that is going to look too low? I'm wondering if I could raise the water level maybe 0.5" with higher return and lower the output from the drain through a ball valve? Am I crazy?

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:18 AM   #1196
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
I will measure tonight. I dont think it is much more then 1.5 inches. I also have my water height just about to the eurobrace (actualy hits it in front since returns push forward)
Soulpatch if possible please take a front/side pic of the tank? Maybe I can see how it looks with the level where you have it. Sorry for asking so much, but if you can please also measure the distance from the bottom of the overflow teeth to the top of the tank glass? Or even better the bottom of the teeth till the rear eurobrace. That will give me a perfect feel for how it would look...
Thanks for all help with this thread

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:19 AM   #1197
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post
This is why i did a custom, because SC puts tge glass eurobrace well over 2 inches below the top of the tank.
I should have done like you did... yes they place them WAY low...not sure why

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:19 AM   #1198
soulpatch
Registered Member

pics would help cowboy...

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:21 AM   #1199
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
pics would help cowboy...
Will take today pics of the tank so you guys can tell me what you think. Thanks again!

Unread 09/15/2016, 01:26 PM   #1200
andrek787
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post
Where are you getting 2" from? The top of the front eurobrace is a tad more then 0.5" below the top of the tank.

I run a modified herbie with DSC-9000 for return. At full power the pump keeps the water level 0.5" below the front brace.