Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2017, 03:12 AM   #26
jan89
Registered Member

I am currently cycling a dead rock, how long do you reckon this process will last? i have a little coralline algae growth, but thats about it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2641923

jan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 04:12 PM   #27
LuizW13
Registered Member

Is it cool if i cure my dry rock on my apartment patio(it's consistently in the 80's-90's F*)? This stuff is really starting to stink! Another question- i bought 10lbs of aquamax dry pukani rock, but i'm only curing half of it in distilled water with a pump and heater. Since my ro/di system didn't come in it, i figured i would only cure what i'm going to use. How long can i expect the rocks to be completely clean? Can i use a phosphate or phosphorous tester along with the other tests to determine when the rocks are ready?

LuizW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:44 AM   #28
Ahmed GGS
Registered Member

Thanks for a useful information about rocks. I didn't new that!

Ahmed GGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 06:00 AM   #29
jimmyblack5
Registered Member

Thank for the awesome information!

Unread 08/19/2017, 08:26 AM   #30
jfarris
Registered Member

Following

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

jfarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 06:34 AM   #31
ronok
Registered Member

Thanks a lot!

ronok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 05:49 PM   #32
jbsengineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
2) live-but-barely rock suffered in shipping or came from a troubled tank. THIS I would ‘tub’ in the dark in 80 degree 1.024 salinity agitated salt water for two months before use. This will pretty well kill off nastiness and leave you with brown bare rock. You can use a Rubbermaid Brute trash can or something with a garbage can liner, and just give it a heater and a fairly strong pump. Eheims are good small workhorses and can later serve as a salt mixing pump or water-change pump. Or you can use what will be your sump skimmer: just let it do this job. However—if your skimmer isn’t really moving the water, you need a more potent pump. You don’t want dead spots in the circulation. Do water changes weekly and also test your water to be sure it’s staying at 1.024. Test for phosphate a day after water change and if you’re getting a reading despite the water changes, you might as well start running GFO in a reactor right now. The water changes will ordinarily be enough.
I'm starting from scratch. How much pukani do you think could fit in a 55g can? Also, what size pump would I need?

jbsengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 04:27 AM   #33
livelifelow
Registered Member

Hello and thank you for all of this wonderful information. I am about 12 hours into my tub and have a foolish noob question. Where do you measure the salinity at? I'm set up with 80 lbs in a 32 or 34 gal brute garbage can. I've got my sump pump on bottom with a hose on the outlet blasting water at the top and a power head midway down, each about 1/3 of the way around the bin. I do have a used sump and line and failed to rinse it. If I measure the salinity at the top or about 2/3 of the way down I get one reading but if I measure it from what's coming out of the hose I get a much higher reading. Reading right where the water comes out rather than blasting water into the hygrometer gave me the same reading as the rest of the tub. Any thoughts? Thank you again.

livelifelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 03:45 PM   #34
naimasreef
Registered Member

v helpful

naimasreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 06:46 AM   #35
Mikepl84
Registered Member

Another noob here, setting up my first saltwater tank

Tank drilled 300 gal
sumps 100 gallon combination of 3 sumps

currently running as freshwater.

i have been doing freshwater for about 5 years and finally decided a couple months ago to go into a reef setup

got the water changing station with RODI and 2 tanks .

here is my question

Starting with BRS 250 lbs of Pukani dry rock, have been reading about the PO4 leaching out and crazy algee grownth. i took out out as many live sponges and any other suff i found on the pukani, then power washed the rock. let it soak in bleach 20:1 solution for 3 days. then soked in clean water for two days. its drying now. now im planning on putting it in circulating salt water using hw salt for about 3 months. do you guys think i will be ok doing this method. i really dont want to mess around with acid as its scares me a bit.

what salinity should i keep the rock while curing for max bacteria production
what temp ?
i will be using all rodi water
i also plan on adding a couple pieces of live rock that i picked up from a local fishstore that i have in my 40 g quarentene tank that i setup up last week.

how do i know if the live rock from the LFS has no pests. been watching it for a week and see nothing so far ? should i treat it for pests before mixing it with my pukani in curing bins ? any advice on dipping or pest prevention from you experts. As i stated its my first salt water tank and i'm trying to do it the right way.

Thank You

Mikepl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 09:03 PM   #36
Mikepl84
Registered Member

bump

Mikepl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 02:24 PM   #37
Arcar
Registered Member

Im stating up a new tank and I want to use dry rock. REEF SAVER DRY LIVE ROCK. Do i need to add anything to the tank to jump start it?

Thanks in advance!

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 02:55 PM   #38
DreadCapn
Registered Member

If you are impatient, get this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/insta...bio-spira.html

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 07:03 PM   #39
Arcar
Registered Member

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/rock
How about this place?

Unread 12/06/2017, 06:00 PM   #40
lapin
Registered Member

Looks ok to me. Lots of tiny holes. That's a good thing. Be sure to go thru the steps of rock prep before adding to your tank.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 07:35 AM   #41
Arcar
Registered Member

How did that work out? Based on what Im reading people cure the rock for over a month... Lmk as I might be doing the same.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepl84 View Post
Another noob here, setting up my first saltwater tank

Tank drilled 300 gal
sumps 100 gallon combination of 3 sumps

currently running as freshwater.

i have been doing freshwater for about 5 years and finally decided a couple months ago to go into a reef setup

got the water changing station with RODI and 2 tanks .

here is my question

Starting with BRS 250 lbs of Pukani dry rock, have been reading about the PO4 leaching out and crazy algee grownth. i took out out as many live sponges and any other suff i found on the pukani, then power washed the rock. let it soak in bleach 20:1 solution for 3 days. then soked in clean water for two days. its drying now. now im planning on putting it in circulating salt water using hw salt for about 3 months. do you guys think i will be ok doing this method. i really dont want to mess around with acid as its scares me a bit.

what salinity should i keep the rock while curing for max bacteria production
what temp ?
i will be using all rodi water
i also plan on adding a couple pieces of live rock that i picked up from a local fishstore that i have in my 40 g quarentene tank that i setup up last week.

how do i know if the live rock from the LFS has no pests. been watching it for a week and see nothing so far ? should i treat it for pests before mixing it with my pukani in curing bins ? any advice on dipping or pest prevention from you experts. As i stated its my first salt water tank and i'm trying to do it the right way.

Thank You

Unread 01/06/2018, 07:01 PM   #42
biecacka
Registered Member

i cured mine for almost 4 months in dark trash cans with pumps on and a lid on. this was 4 years ago, now i am selling 2 rocks from my tank that are covered in mushrooms and polyps and might need to replace the those rocks. debating on whether to put dry rock in, or buy some live rock. they will probably total 10-12 lbs of rock in my 240 gallon tank, with a few hundred pounds of already cycled, coraline covered rock.

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 06:33 AM   #43
Xiled01
Registered Member

I’ve been doing a fair amount of research by watching youtube videos and reading various forums before committing myself to starting a reef aquarium.

I have an unusual question regarding uncured rocks. I understand the process of curing the rock but what happens once it’s cured? Do I need to put it into tank straight away or can I scape it and leave it out for a while?

I can’t remember if I watched or read it somewhere but this particular video / article said once the rock is cured, I have about an hour to put it into the tank to start my cycling process.

Another question is can I cycle the rocks outside and cover it. I mentioned the process to my better half and she wasn’t keen on the smell.

Cheers, Xiled.

Xiled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:08 AM   #44
gabe145
Registered Member

I have a 37g Cube, but I filled it with tonga branch and then put ceramic bricks in the sump for the bacterial filtration.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 04:12 PM   #45
Benny Blenny
Registered Member

Rock from the store

If I buy rock from the lfs, how long should I quarantine it to prevent bringing nasties into my dt? Also, what is the best process for quarantining? Can I just throw it in my normal qt, or do I need to take special steps?

Benny Blenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 03:27 AM   #46
Carpathian
Registered Member

I think the process of curing just removes the dead organics(the stink) that way it doesn't foul you tank as it breaks down. Cycling your rock can be done after you cure and scape the rock. Place it in your tank and use some bacteria in a bottle. My favorite is Dr Tim's, but turbo start, bio spira are solid too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Carpathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 03:23 PM   #47
FortyFour
Registered Member

Hello friends - I need to start preparing dry rock (BRS Reef Savers) for a tank I am setting up in 1.5-2 mths. I am going to set up a Brute trashcan with saltwater, a heater, and a Koralia and keep it in the dark. A friend has to do this for me because I am moving out of state, and I'm trying to keep it simple without compromising anything.

* Can I use tap water for this process? I don't know how I'd expect him to lug RO water to his house on my behalf.
* Does salt quality really matter at this point? Eventually I'm going to be using quality salt but I'm wondering if I could use whatever is on sale at BRS for this step.
* Will bacteria in a bottle speed up the process for me? I doubt I'll be able to ship him some of my existing rock to speed the process.

Thanks in advance for anyone that has an opinion on this.

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 04:21 PM   #48
FortyFour
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyFour View Post
Hello friends - I need to start preparing dry rock (BRS Reef Savers) for a tank I am setting up in 1.5-2 mths. I am going to set up a Brute trashcan with saltwater, a heater, and a Koralia and keep it in the dark. A friend has to do this for me because I am moving out of state, and I'm trying to keep it simple without compromising anything.

* Can I use tap water for this process? I don't know how I'd expect him to lug RO water to his house on my behalf.
* Does salt quality really matter at this point? Eventually I'm going to be using quality salt but I'm wondering if I could use whatever is on sale at BRS for this step.
* Will bacteria in a bottle speed up the process for me? I doubt I'll be able to ship him some of my existing rock to speed the process.

Thanks in advance for anyone that has an opinion on this.
@Sk8r - A couple of clarifying questions for you, if you don't mind. It's been a long time since I started up a new tank/cured new rock. Thanks in advance.

Unread 05/02/2018, 04:28 PM   #49
lapin
Registered Member

* Can I use tap water for this process? I don't know how I'd expect him to lug RO water to his house on my behalf. Not the best but yes. Be sure to use some sort of de clorinating drops.
* Does salt quality really matter at this point? Eventually I'm going to be using quality salt but I'm wondering if I could use whatever is on sale at BRS for this step. Any reef salt will do
* Will bacteria in a bottle speed up the process for me? I doubt I'll be able to ship him some of my existing rock to speed the process. Sure and have him throw in a table shrimp for the ammonia.

Thanks in advance for anyone that has an opinion on this. No worries

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 08:45 PM   #50
FortyFour
Registered Member

Thank you.

Tags
live rock live sand