Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2016, 10:12 PM   #51
ksed
Registered Member

Are you using the ARID reactor?

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 12:19 AM   #52
OhMatic
Registered Member

No, I am curren5ly using a CT algae reactor. And planning a DIY Algae Reactor.

OhMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 07:33 AM   #53
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMatic View Post
This is my third week of using both a ATS and an algae reactor and the ATS is doing a much better job the way I have them set up
Hair algae grows much faster than chaeto.

IME, I have to clean my ats biweekly. I will be cleaning my chaeto reactors this weekend as they are full with little flow through them. The last time I cleaned/emptied them was last October.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2016, 11:13 AM   #54
prickles
Premium Member

i have a couple ATS' and I like them but I do find cleaning them to be a pain. (They are undersized for my tank, hence two). I was planning on adding two more in a couple months, but dreading the screen cleaning. I might try one of these as it sounds easier/quicker to clean out.

Current Tank Info: large
prickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2016, 07:23 PM   #55
Devaji108
Registered Member

I really like the ideas of ATS and cheato reactors... will be running a ATS on my newly up and running 90.

for ME the coast of the reactor is just way to much.. I mean come on its a great idea and ppl should make a profit but really?? that's just crazy...

would rather just get a nice light for my fuge like a kessil H160 or wire up a custom DIY..

thanks for the link to the DIY scrubber plans I have been looking for that. not sure I am gonna build it. dont have all the tools but I might give it a try.

lets keep an open mind and keep this thread going guys. as I think we are not the norm here.

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 01:39 AM   #56
OhMatic
Registered Member

good luck

Unread 05/11/2016, 07:39 AM   #57
yacn
Registered Member

I used to grow chaeto in my sump. I took it out about 5 months ago. I hated having to clean the algae that grew everywhere. My skimmer walls would be covered in algae where the light hit it so would other equipment housed in my sump...not to mention the acrylic sides of my sump which required mr clean majic eraser to get rid of.

I don't have room for an ATS.

I like the concept of the algae reactor....but not willing to pay $500+ for one. I also don't think thumb screws make for easy maintenance. There needs to be a better design....especially at that price!

Wondering if I just wrap some LED's around a 2 little fishies phosban reactor would work.

yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 08:26 AM   #58
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacn View Post
Wondering if I just wrap some LED's around a 2 little fishies phosban reactor would work.
Yes it will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontop27 View Post

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie

Last edited by wildman926; 05/11/2016 at 08:39 AM.
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 03:32 PM   #59
roosterchef
Registered Member

OnTop27, what led strip did you use and do you recommend it? Did you try or think about wrapping the lights more densely around the reactor? TIA

Current: 0.0 Nitrates, 0.0 Phosphates, 0.0 gallons
(former reefer planning to coming back)
roosterchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 03:17 AM   #60
OhMatic
Registered Member

I had some problems with Chaeto... I was growing some weird yellow stuff inside a silicone tube feeding the reactor which killed off the cheato. Glad I had a carbon reactor being fed from the reactor...

Unread 05/31/2016, 03:32 AM   #61
OhMatic
Registered Member

Well after two weeks of the Algae Scrubber and the Algae Reactor going head to head I'm thoroughly convinced the Algae Scrubber is more effective. I've cleaned out the ATS three times and the reactor zero.the reactor is showing slow signs of growth compared to the ATS.

Unread 05/31/2016, 09:16 AM   #62
roosterchef
Registered Member

Do you have them plumbed so they each have equal crack at the "dirty" water from the tank, or is one in line after the other? Did you ever figure out what the yellow stuff was that you thought killed the chaeto in your reactor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Current: 0.0 Nitrates, 0.0 Phosphates, 0.0 gallons
(former reefer planning to coming back)
roosterchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 10:15 AM   #63
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

My experience with an ATS:

I have a 450G mixed reef that my Apex AFS feeds twice daily Spectrum small and medium pellets (2nd click - single rotation) and then twice daily I feed 3-cubes of enriched brine and mysis (2-to-1 alternating).

12:00 - Spectrum
14:30 - Spectrum
17:00 - Brine/Mysis
20:00 - Brine/Mysis

I've been running an ATS since August '15.

Yesterday I ran my monthly tests and the primary two of interest resulted in:

Nitrate: .2 PPM (Salifert)
Phosphate: Undetectable (Hanna)

I also broadcast feed a couple of times a week Seachem Reef Plus or TLF AcroPower mixed with Pappone and either frozen cyclopeze or plankton. Sometimes I also mix in a little Reef Roids.

It's been this way since late last year. I wouldn't even think of running a reef tank without an ATS now. I clean it about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 02:18 AM   #64
OhMatic
Registered Member

Roosterchef, I never figured out what the yellow stuff was, didn't really try though.
Yes the ATS and AR each get fed tank overflow from the same source that is split going to each.
The AR seams to have some issues, I'm not really impressed with it at all. I just haven't had time to put a DIY AR together yet.

Unread 06/03/2016, 07:23 PM   #65
kdirk
Registered Member

The only true proof of what grows faster between gha and Chaeto is what grows in your tank when you get excessive nutrients. I've never seen a tank with the rocks over grown with chaeto.

kdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 12:46 PM   #66
OhMatic
Registered Member

kdirk
True, neither have I.
I'm not sure a GHA reactor would work... I guess I could be tried.

Unread 06/05/2016, 04:30 PM   #67
kdirk
Registered Member

I think the waterfall ats is a great design. If trying to do it in a reactor you would need to run air into it, maybe a air stone in the bottom, but then your looking at another pump running. The reactor would have to have something for the gha to hold on to or it would plug up your return line. I don't see how these problems could be overcome. To my point I was looking at what algae is more efficient. I think for saltwater people the size of your sump becomes a problem when you run out of room. My new build has a 180 with a 40 breeder most people say its too small but I have plenty of room for my ats.

Unread 06/09/2016, 03:38 AM   #68
OhMatic
Registered Member

I don't think a reactor needs an air stone/supply to grow GHA. There would be lots of ways to put things in a reactor for the GHA to hold on to.
I guess I need to know which would be the last algae standing: gha, cheato, or turf/ATS algae. To figure out what would be the best algae for a reactor.

Unread 06/09/2016, 05:03 PM   #69
kdirk
Registered Member

I would have to say the first one to start growing when you have problems in your tank is going to be the last one to leave so I obviously have to say green hair algae

Unread 06/09/2016, 11:55 PM   #70
OhMatic
Registered Member

That sounds like good logic... but I feed my tangs algae from my ATS everytime I clean it and they gobble it up. I've tried to get it to grow in the DT but it gets eaten. They also eat cheato but GHA is not on anyone's menu...

Unread 06/10/2016, 01:35 PM   #71
Devaji108
Registered Member

well I am a BIG fan of ATS but must admit I have never had a chance to run one on a tank.

so I build an DIY upflw ATS based of of SM hogs, been running 2 weeks not any growth in it but ere is GHA in the DT tank is going through new tank syndrome.
I did alot of research when building it and not sure why its not doing anything. i do think with some tweaking it would perform great. might be user error.

so my thoughts are to grow a macro algae fuge. not that ATS will not work but just that fact I need a grow out place for my 20L macro tank. I thought about the TLF reactor as well.

Unread 06/10/2016, 05:39 PM   #72
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMatic View Post
I don't think a reactor needs an air stone/supply to grow GHA. There would be lots of ways to put things in a reactor for the GHA to hold on to.
I guess I need to know which would be the last algae standing: gha, cheato, or turf/ATS algae. To figure out what would be the best algae for a reactor.
Which is the last standing depends entirely on the conditions in your tank. Different types of algae have different growing conditions.

When I kept seahorses, I had a lot of macro algae in the main tank. As long is I maintained nitrates at around 5ppm and phosphates at .02 to .04ppm, the macros outcompeted all other algae including cyano. I did this by dosing calcium nitrate several times a week.

Once nitrates dropped down below 3ppm the other algae started to grow again.

Also, turf algae, which Addey determined had the greatest growth under ideal conditions, needs a lot of flow and needs direct contact with air for maximum growth. Unless you provide for its needs (ATS) it will do poorly.

Unread 06/11/2016, 01:59 AM   #73
OhMatic
Registered Member

devaji108
I have never tried a SM type ATS... but I think I do remember my ATS taking several weeks to get running. I would suggest give it another week or two.
I saw now that one guy puts a coating of cement on his new plastic screens so the Algae will take and hold faster...

Unread 06/11/2016, 08:54 AM   #74
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
so I build an DIY upflw ATS based of of SM hogs, been running 2 weeks not any growth in it but ere is GHA in the DT tank is going through new tank syndrome.
I did alot of research when building it and not sure why its not doing anything. i do think with some tweaking it would perform great. might be user error.
Could you post some pics and give us some info on your ATS?

My first attempt at an ATS didn't go over that well

version 1.0- used 1/2" PVC, maxijet 1200 pump 13x10 plastic netting, netting roughed up using medium grit sand paper and 1 23watt LED PAR spotlight on each side of netting

version 2.0- using 1" PVC, Mag 5 pump, roughed up the netting more using a hole saw , and using 1 30 watt LED on each side of netting
link to lights now being used
https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproo...-garden&sr=1-5

Vesion 2.0 is working much better

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2016, 01:11 PM   #75
Devaji108
Registered Member

sure don't want to high jack the tread from ATS vs reactors tho..I am a BIG fan of this type of filtering.

so the body is made out of food trays the type to get from the deli.
i broke up/crushed a head of coral i had around and used JB weld to create the surface for the turf to grow on.

photo 20150623_181836.jpg

for lighting I used 4 x 660 nm rapid LED reds driven my a meanweal driver @ 700ma no optics. 120 degree spread.

photo 20150623_182031.jpg

note all LEDs are the "heatsink"

for air flow I am using a fusion air pump ( the one SM usees on this hogs) on 24/7

my lighting was 15 on 8 off is was not on a set schedule as I was/am doing it manually.
but the last week its been running 24/7

in the tank shoot
 photo 20160524_212944.jpg

trouble shooting ideas are:

to long or to short lighting cycle??

airflow not flowing up the surface of the "screen" correct