Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 10:03 PM   #1
rfgonzo
Registered Member

gas exchange

Any issues with gas exchange on 32 biocube since it has a tight fitting top? If so is there any good info out their?

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 03:53 PM   #2
rockhead51
Registered Member

Fish and corals don't seem to mind, but I have chronically low pH...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 06:09 PM   #3
ReefWreak
Registered Member

No, definitely no issue with gas exchange. I've run a 24g nanocube with too many fishes, and currently have a 29g biocube.

You'll get plenty of gas exchange as long as you have some flow in the tank (stock pump is plenty). If you really get crazy into the tank, you may end up doing a skimmer in there, and then you definitely will have nothing to worry about.

But stock setup, I've never heard of anyone having any issues.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:09 PM   #4
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
Any issues with gas exchange on 32 biocube since it has a tight fitting top? If so is there any good info out their?

I believe I had some gas exchange issues at the beginning. I could not keep the PH up. I tested the theory that low gas exchange was causing low pH by taking a glass of tank water and pumping outside air into it and checked the ph over the course of a few hours and it did go up. That being said, it seemed to work itself out as I don't have an issue anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:21 PM   #5
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
I believe I had some gas exchange issues at the beginning. I could not keep the PH up. I tested the theory that low gas exchange was causing low pH by taking a glass of tank water and pumping outside air into it and checked the ph over the course of a few hours and it did go up. That being said, it seemed to work itself out as I don't have an issue anymore.
Gas exchange leading to low pH is definitely possible, but low pH never really hurt anything by itself (generally). I wouldn't sweat it, there are many other significantly more important factors to take into account before worrying about the pH impacting anything.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 12:55 AM   #6
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Gas exchange leading to low pH is definitely possible, but low pH never really hurt anything by itself (generally). I wouldn't sweat it, there are many other significantly more important factors to take into account before worrying about the pH impacting anything.

Very true, I never said it was a main issue. Just an issue that I observed that I contributed to gas exchange thus why answering the post question .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote