Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2005, 10:52 PM   #26
killagoby
Registered Member

I built mine and used an AC300 on my 29 gallon reef. I'm using 4" of Mineral Mud in it w/ a piece of LR also. I have a Palm PC light coming to me in the mail and as soon as I get that I will add some cheateo. Thanks for the thread...

Unread 08/12/2005, 11:36 PM   #27
thanew
Registered Member

want to say thanks for this, I'm going to do a few mods to your current mods tomorrow

thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2005, 12:38 PM   #28
Mantis
Registered Member

Very nice, excellent ideas

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice." Steve Jobs

TOTM September 2011
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/87-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: 400 gallon
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2005, 08:24 PM   #29
vanmo92
Registered Member

cool thread i will probrobly do it soon

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon bow Mixed Reef 1 fw tank
vanmo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2005, 08:25 PM   #30
vanmo92
Registered Member

good idea

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon bow Mixed Reef 1 fw tank
vanmo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2005, 11:40 AM   #31
ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
Registered Member

man, the wife is gonna hate you! Think you got my brain rolling again! Just got a 2.5gal minibow and a ac20or30 would probably be just right ! lol. Thanks again. Keep up the AWSOME work! Shows true dedication.

Touch.

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2005, 08:16 PM   #32
David D'Amicantonio
Registered Member

would a 13W PC 6500K bulb work fine for cheato growth

David D'Amicantonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2005, 10:47 AM   #33
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

That'll work just fine.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2005, 12:17 PM   #34
David D'Amicantonio
Registered Member

i was thinking if a small mangrove would fit in the fuge (without the top of course)...and would it be a good idea to help with nutrient export along with the cheato.....p.s. it will also be lighted by the 6500 15W PC bulb...enough?....it'll be about 4-5 inches from water line of the filter

David D'Amicantonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2005, 09:18 AM   #35
Gawain1974
dc fanboy

Hey, this is an excellent thread, Adrienne! If/when I set up a nano, I'll be sure to follow these plans for a fuge. TIA!

Unread 10/22/2005, 07:18 AM   #36
alpine
Registered Member

David D'Amicantonio

A mangrove can get really tall and the roots need space to grow.I have used mangroves in the past and they are great for nutrient export.You would be surprized how fast they grow,especially the roots.Also mangroves need to be out of the water with only about 1" or 2" below water.

We are the Reef Central....It is useless to resist. We will assimilate you into our collective. Resistance is futile.
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2005, 06:07 PM   #37
wmfsoll2
Premium Member

Nice mod. I think that i may do this mod for my 10 Gal. Reef

Thomas Edison : "SUCCESS is 90% ATTITUDE and 10% KNOWLEDGE"

Current Tank Info: Setting up new 90 Gal.
wmfsoll2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2005, 03:10 PM   #38
chiliaddik
Registered Member

Hey Sugar Mama! My AC70 is on it's way and I can't wait to get this on my 5.5 gallon tank!

I've just read through all of this and from what I am gathering, all I need to go buy is a pc. of plexi (baffle) and that's it? (I already have the silicone) Other wise everything is there already, right?

I plan to use a clip on light.

chiliaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2005, 08:20 PM   #39
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yep T, plexi from either Home Depot or Lowe's and they sell the scoring tool right in the same area. No table saw needed.

If you're planning on running a poly/carbon pad, I now use the bio-bags that are made for Whisper filters. Can't find the Millenium filters locally anymore.

Unread 12/09/2005, 08:52 AM   #40
TheUltimateNoob
Registered Member

very nice fuge. do you know what the dimensions are for an AC70? will it fit ok on the back of a 10g tank?

TheUltimateNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2005, 09:34 AM   #41
coyoteseven
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheUltimateNoob
very nice fuge. do you know what the dimensions are for an AC70? will it fit ok on the back of a 10g tank?
I'm using the AC70 modified fuge on my 10g and it works great! There was also enough room for me to set up an old power filter(don't know the brand) with a Fluval surface skimmer to run carbon.

Between the AC70 and No-name, I'm getting plenty of flow and crystal clear water.

On the average 10g glass tank, there should be enough room on the back for two AC70s to fit side-by-side.

Current Tank Info: None right now, perhaps again some day.
coyoteseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2005, 05:55 PM   #42
MAreefer1
Registered Member

nice man nice...i posted something simaler a little while ago

Current Tank Info: 75 gallons of SW,55 main 20 gallon fuge
MAreefer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2005, 03:26 PM   #43
hondadude2k5
Awesome Dude

I made a fuge out of my AC110 for my 26gal bowfront. All i did was remove the filter media and replaced it with 2 pounds live rock and a couple scoops of my live sand. I use the media basket as the screen between pump and fuge area. I have some cheato and some macro in it with a clip on light.

Current Tank Info: 26G Bowfront Reef 12G Aquapod SPS Reef and 10g Mixed frag tank
hondadude2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2005, 08:17 AM   #44
chiliaddik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia
Yep T, plexi from either Home Depot or Lowe's and they sell the scoring tool right in the same area. No table saw needed.

If you're planning on running a poly/carbon pad, I now use the bio-bags that are made for Whisper filters. Can't find the Millenium filters locally anymore.
Luckily I can still get ahold of the Millenium filter pads locally, but you can get them online too. The whisper bio-bags are good (and cheaper!!!) too...I used those before to add some extra carbon, I just didn't use the carbon it came with, I use Marineland.

I got the millenium filter pad yesterday before I started the project. So far I have the grey grate siliconed in and I cut the u-tube and put the end extension on it and siliconed it.

I'm still thinking about that baffle....I am gathering I need to make it about 4.5 inches tall, right? Before I silicone it IN there for good...do I want to put it as close to the left as I can so I can just squeeze in the filter pad?? Did you silicone that baffle all the way down the side and seal the bottom as well?

chiliaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2006, 12:22 PM   #45
JRPhd
Registered Member

"I'm still thinking about that baffle" I too was baffled , but I think in this case, the baffle goes all the way to the bottom. But hopefully SM can comment.

I saw some other mod that used half of the media basket as a baffle. Might that be an option, or do the holes in the basket cause too much flow?

And lastly, can't you just adjust the flow by throttling the u-tube to the right, rather than replacing the impeller?

Jon

Current Tank Info: 40g Oceanic stretchhex. 24" PC Aqua Lunarlights. 50lbs. Marshall LR. 2"SB. Heater. Maxi-900x2. Aqua C Remora Skimmer w/ maxi-1200. DIY HOT Fuge with Chaeto. mmmmm chaeto.
JRPhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2006, 01:27 PM   #46
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yep, the baffle goes all the way to the bottom. Throttling the U-tube to the right only reduces the flow a minimal amount. Replacing the impeller reduces the flow significantly.

Unread 01/26/2006, 12:21 PM   #47
Fish_Freek
Cheese Head

Is it possable to just trim down the impellar fins or remove a few of them to reduce flow instead of buying a new impellar??

Current Tank Info: 75g reef tank, octoHB2000 HOB skimmer, 2x EG D120 Led black boxes
Fish_Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2006, 11:39 AM   #48
ahill3780
Premium Member

Nice job SM! I've seen a few threads on how to mod these AC's into mini-fuge's and I have been planning on converting my AC70 into one. I don't have a dremel tool to trim the baffles which is holding me back. Great idea on swapping out the impeller - I was thinking of ways to reduce flow and had concidered this possibility, I just wasn't sure if the smaller (20's, 30's) ones would work in my AC70.

Also, I was wondering - if I were to decide to run the lights on the fuge on the same photoperiod as the display, wouldn't it be ok to just light it with the lights for the system, or should the fuge be more brightly lit than the main system?

Here is a shot of my 10 gallon nano with the AC70 sitting on the side waiting to be converted.

Thanks for the info, and keep us posted with your pics!