Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2004, 12:11 AM   #1
whirley
Registered Member

Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump Aw-20 ?

Hello.
I was reading about DIY dosers tonight. Someone posted that they bought a "AQUA LIFTER VACUUM PUMP AW-20 " from you guys and are very happy with the purchase.

From what I understand, he said that he was using this pump to pump KALK from a resivour to his sump, using a float switch to turn on and off this 'Aqua Lifter pump'.

Is this what it was made for? Will this work?

Geoff Lo - PA rocks!!!

Current Tank Info: Infinite
whirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2004, 01:10 AM   #2
Tagamet
Registered Member

Re: Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump Aw-20 ?

Quote:
Originally posted by whirley
Hello.
I was reading about DIY dosers tonight. Someone posted that they bought a "AQUA LIFTER VACUUM PUMP AW-20 " from you guys and are very happy with the purchase.

From what I understand, he said that he was using this pump to pump KALK from a resivour to his sump, using a float switch to turn on and off this 'Aqua Lifter pump'.

Is this what it was made for? Will this work?

Geoff Lo - PA rocks!!!
Although I'm sure that this is not the intended use for these pumps, I do use one as you describe and it doesn't work badly. (I had used it to remove the bothersome bubbles that accumulate in cpr overflows). The airline tube does tend to clog with kalk, especially at the ends, but a hefty blow through the tubing (every two days or so) clears it well. I just started doing it a couple of weeks ago, but so far so good, and I'm pumping about 2 to 3 gallons of kalk as topoff water daily.
HTH,
Tagamet

Current Tank Info: reefs:240, 120 (short), 54 corner, 65 gallon (Seahorse/Bangaiis), 40 gallon (seahorse/pipefish) tanks. Assortment of smaller tanks. Nanochloropsis and Tet phyto systems, 18 rotifers.
Tagamet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The Aqualifter pump is a nice little deal, although it does fall off extremely fast when any head pressure is applied to it. If you are going to be pump a very short distance, this would probably work out very well for you.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2004, 02:31 PM   #4
Tagamet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy B.
The Aqualifter pump is a nice little deal, although it does fall off extremely fast when any head pressure is applied to it. If you are going to be pump a very short distance, this would probably work out very well for you.
Good point about the head pressure. I have mine set up where the tubing runs from halfway down in a salt bucket (of kalk water), over the edge, almost parallel to the floor to the pump (on a stool), then "down hill" to the sump. Once the syphon is established, the pump is really just turning the flow on and off.
HTH,
Tagamet

Current Tank Info: reefs:240, 120 (short), 54 corner, 65 gallon (Seahorse/Bangaiis), 40 gallon (seahorse/pipefish) tanks. Assortment of smaller tanks. Nanochloropsis and Tet phyto systems, 18 rotifers.
Unread 02/10/2004, 05:41 PM   #5
whirley
Registered Member

Do you guys use this with float switches?

Just curious

whirley

Current Tank Info: Infinite
whirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Tagamet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whirley
Do you guys use this with float switches?
Just curious
whirley
I use it with a solinoid that closes an electric circuit so that the pump then runs. I guess it's considered a float switch as opposedto a float valve.
Tagamet

Last edited by Tagamet; 02/10/2004 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 01/26/2006, 10:26 AM   #7
ReefWaters
Premium Member

Would this pump have any problems sucking from the bottom of a five gallon bucket, having the pump sitting level with the bucket top, and then pump over a few feet to dump a few inches down into the sump?

Current Tank Info: Taking a break for a while. Still Reading and Researching every day though.
ReefWaters is offline   Reply With Quote