Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Winston27
Registered Member

Reef tank in room and more questions!

Hello guys! I am completely new to this forum, but I have read a lot from it. I have kept fresh water fish for a while, BUT I have an extra 10 gallon tank tight now and would like to attempt a nano reef. Sorry but I am a noob at saltwater and I have some concerns.

First off I would like to have it in my bedroom but ive seen things in the news about Zoanthids (or polytoxins?) and people getting super sick and the toxins being deadly and also the toxins coming out of the water?!! So I don't want Zoanthids but do other corals release those toxins and how do I make sure I don't get Zoanthids on my live rocks? OK so if I don't get Zoanthids will it be safe in my room. What are some corals that are super safe (mushroom corals?)

I think that's all for now but I know I have more questions and when I think of them I will add them. Thanks!

Winston27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 03:53 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

You don't need to worry about the palytoxins except when handling them, and even then the risk is minimal unless you cut them open. Most rock will not have them and you will need to pay extra for the rock if it does have zoas or palys on it. I really think you don't have anything to be concerned about.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Winston27
Registered Member

Thank you for your response! So if I have a tank with a nice live rock and a couple simple soft corals and a shrimp or hermit crab or something and a small fish (after tank is cycled and cleanup crew is in) then I should be ok for it to be in my bedroom?

Winston27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Right!

Unread 09/16/2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Kmiller035
Registered Member

It would be very rare for a palytoxin issue but that still means there’s a chance. There are some many other coral out there, softies, sticks, shrooms, that if you have even the slightest doubt of keeping zoas, then just don’t. As you become more knowledgeable in the hobby you can always add. As far as stow away zoas, it happened to me with my first tank. Best thing to do is find the rock you want, live or dead and leave it out in the sun for a month then put it in the tank, add water and cycle. It’ll populate with bacteria during the cycle of your tank. Best advice...don’t rush anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmiller035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 05:29 AM   #6
Rover88
Registered Member

Palytoxins are only an issue if you boil them, boil the rock they are on, drink the water they just put their poison in, or lick them.

Otherwise its harmless.

A nano tank is not easy as a starter tank. Parameters are more difficult to keep in check and more prone to swings and variances. But yes, there is nothing keeping you from doing it!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

Go down this list and read everything with a title that catches your eye, it was a great help to me a year ago when I was getting started.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 05:49 AM   #7
Kmiller035
Registered Member

https://ornamentalfish.org/new-advic...xin-poisoning/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmiller035 is offline   Reply With Quote