Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Myka
Reefing since '93

Reef Salt vs Probiotic Reef Salt

I'm coming up to the end of the first bucket of Probiotic Reef Salt. A friend gave me a bucket of Reef Salt as he doesn't like the low alkalinity for his LPS reef. Is there anything I can dose to help make up for what is missing in the Reef Salt compared to the Probiotic Reef Salt?

I am currently using (80 gallons net):

Pro Bio S - 3 drops per night
Coral V - 2 drops per night
Components 1+2+3+
Coral E - 2 drops every second night
AcroPower - 5 mL every second night

2L Siporax
No Zeolites, no GFO
Carbon in a bag (150 mL changed every 4 weeks)
I'm am not using NP Pro as my nutrients are low.

NO3 0.5 ppm
PO4 3 ppb, 0.009 ppm

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 08:40 AM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

Mindy,
With the Probiotic Reef Salt containing bacteria, I would imagine that you could increase your Pro Bio S by a drop for a couple of days after water change. You could try the Bio S product, but I think you would be fine with just a slight increase in Pro Bio S. This is the only adjustment I would make, and simply observe from there. I would start with a small batch of saltwater change, maybe see how the corals respond.
Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Myka
Reefing since '93

Thanks Perry. I thought the Probiotic Reef Salt also has extra vitamins in it? Isn't it the degradation of the vitamins (and to a lesser extent, the bacteria) that is the reason for not storing the Probiotic salt? I was thinking maybe I should up the Coral V. I was thinking to experiment with increasing the Coral E & V to 3 drops anyway...

Also, I'm going to mix the last bit of Probiotic salt with the Reef Salt. I should get 2 waterchanges out of the mix.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 09:18 AM   #4
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks Perry. I thought the Probiotic Reef Salt also has extra vitamins in it? Isn't it the degradation of the vitamins (and to a lesser extent, the bacteria) that is the reason for not storing the Probiotic salt? I was thinking maybe I should up the Coral V. I was thinking to experiment with increasing the Coral E & V to 3 drops anyway...

Also, I'm going to mix the last bit of Probiotic salt with the Reef Salt. I should get 2 waterchanges out of the mix.
Yes, I do believe the salt contains aminos and vitamins too, but I don't think it would be significant enough to cause problems. In theory, you could dose more Vitality and your Acropower, I would just monitor and dose accordingly.
Cheers!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote