Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Ty1e
Registered Member

Ati lighting switch over help

Hi everyone,
I just picked up a used ATi powermodul 2x75w LED 8X T-5 unit with bulbs.
here are the bulbs in order from front to back.

ATi coral plus
KZ Coral Light
ATi Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
KZ Coral Light
ATi Blue Plus
KZ Coral Light
ATi Coral Plus

This is replacing the Radion G2's I had over the system for just under a year,

System:
40X20X20 frameless 90% SPS 10%LPS tank
and two gorg's, one clam.

what I need is lighting programing help (acclimation %)
maybe a better bulb combo.
Anything thought at all please post it, Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 70 gal rimless
Ty1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 09:25 AM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I would run the 8 T5 alone for a month, or so, to get a baseline of what it is capable of. Then mix in some of the LEDs if you think that you need them.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 09:53 AM   #3
ken6217
Registered Member

I have a 8 bulb ATI Sunpower and use:

5 ATI Blue+
2 ATI Coral Plus
1 ATI Purple +

I will say that since you are using an ATI fixture which has excellent reflectors, and so 8 bulbs is a lot of light. I wouldn't run all 8 bulbs for more than 8 hours to start off. Run the 2 bulb bank for all 12 hours and the 6 bulb for 8 hours.

I can't speak for the LED portion.I will say that if you have everything on to start, it will be way too much light.
Ken

ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Ty1e
Registered Member

Thanks jda and ken, I was thinking of % for the T-5's as well, I programmed the light today, so the T-5 and led's never peak above 30-40% and the T-5's don't come on till 11:00 and of at around 7:00pm
I also have the light 12" off the waters surface. What so you guys think maybe turn it done some more or just like jda said no led's

Unread 10/01/2014, 03:31 AM   #5
lee_d_m
Registered Member

I am in the same position, changing from Hydra 52's to this fixture so I'm interested to know what you decide to do.

One question I have, I understood that this fixture has 2 channels of 4 T-5 bulbs each, however the post by Ken appears to indicate that the two channels are 2 bulbs and six bulbs, does anyone know which is correct

thanks

lee_d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 08:15 AM   #6
ken6217
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_d_m View Post
I am in the same position, changing from Hydra 52's to this fixture so I'm interested to know what you decide to do.

One question I have, I understood that this fixture has 2 channels of 4 T-5 bulbs each, however the post by Ken appears to indicate that the two channels are 2 bulbs and six bulbs, does anyone know which is correct

thanks
It's 2 + 6.

A 6 bulb fixture would be 2 + 4.

"2" is the common denominator.
Ken

Unread 10/01/2014, 08:36 AM   #7
lee_d_m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
It's 2 + 6.

A 6 bulb fixture would be 2 + 4.

"2" is the common denominator.
Ken
Are you sure that's true for the hybrid, this post appears to say otherwise

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...-Hybrid-review

4th paragraph says there are two T-5 channels each controlling 4 bulbs

Unread 10/01/2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

I don't think the hybrid is the same as all the rest of the standard ATI fixtures .. I remember reading you can control the t5's dimming ability on half the fixture so 4 and 4.

If you had access to a par meter it would be best to see the capability but I agree with jda the 8 bulbs alone is probably more light then you need on that size tank. I would probably personally do the t5 at like 70% alone at first then slowly ramp in the leds after a week or so..

I wouldn't think your ever going to go 100% across all channels on that fixture, but I would rely on the t5's getting to 100% more than the leds for growth and color and use the leds for shimmer and added par.

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 09:10 AM   #9
ken6217
Registered Member

You may be right. I didn't think that this fixture might be different and have 4+4 configuration. Could be 4+4 as starting off with 6 bulbs and LED's would be a lot of light.

I tired a google search but couldn't find an answer. Just call a dealer and ask.
Ken

Unread 10/02/2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Ty1e
Registered Member

Hey guys,
Thanks for your input, I have seen this light turn 4 T-5's and then the other four later ( I have them staggered)

So from what I've read I'll turn the T-5's up to around 60-70% for a month then the LED's for added effect later.

Unread 10/02/2014, 10:47 AM   #11
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You need to run them at 100% to get the right spectrum out of the bulbs.

Dimmable fluorescent and MH bulbs are a REALLY bad idea, IMO.

Unread 10/02/2014, 12:42 PM   #12
Ty1e
Registered Member

Jda, should I raise the light fixture higher then 12" to run at 100%?

Unread 10/02/2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Ty1e
Registered Member

I was running the radion G2's at 70-80% at around 10" off water surface

Unread 10/02/2014, 12:46 PM   #14
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

No.

The reason that the Radion need to be run lower, and higher, are not present with the T5s. I would run them as close to the water as possible with as many as possible.

There is no such thing as too much light. You can have too much of the WRONG KIND of light. LED users think that these things are the same, but you don't have to worry about the second one anymore... until you start to use the LEDs.

Unread 10/02/2014, 02:58 PM   #15
Ty1e
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
No.

The reason that the Radion need to be run lower, and higher, are not present with the T5s. I would run them as close to the water as possible with as many as possible.

There is no such thing as too much light. You can have too much of the WRONG KIND of light. LED users think that these things are the same, but you don't have to worry about the second one anymore... until you start to use the LEDs.

Thnx jda, I'll do the adjustments tonight.

Unread 10/02/2014, 03:30 PM   #16
lee_d_m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
No.

Sorry to hijack but I'm in a similar position as Tyson, going from Hydra 52's to the Hybrid. Are you saying that it's ok to run the 8 T-5 tubes at 100% from day one, even if it means a massive increase in PAR from what the corals have been used to ?

I realise that the T5's should be in the right spectrum, but you do hear stories of people bleaching corals with T5s due to light shock, so I'm interested to understand your point of view on this a bit better

thanks

Unread 10/02/2014, 03:35 PM   #17
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Yes, run them at 100%. If you want, only start with a few of them and ramp up the rest over a week or two, but they need to be 100%, or off, IMO

Unread 10/02/2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

I agree that you need to run t5 at 100% for proper spectrum but Def don't go into it thinking you can just toss 8 ATI reflected bulbs over the tank for the full 8+ hour daylight cycle right on top of the water and not affect the tank.. I can almost guarantee you will bleach the corals underneath it..Take it slow and raise it up as high as you can for a week or 2 at least or do the screen method.

I think the Dimmable aspect of those t5 are for aesthetics (sunrise/sunset) and acclimation only, like jda says the bulbs are designed to be run at full power for the correct spectrum and people are comparing it to led fixtures in operation and that's wrong.. Plus you need to burn in new bulbs full power regardless for the first 100 hrs so the acclimation thing kinda goes out the window on a new fixture.

This coming from a guy who ran a 6x39w ATI, then switched to a 8x54w ATI and bleached almost the whole tank thinking it was not that serious.. Just sayin you can have too much light when you can possibly have 500 par on the sand bed all of the sudden (from experience =)

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2014, 08:27 AM   #19
Ty1e
Registered Member

Wow, good to hear personal experience on this. Thnx guys