Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2012, 11:51 AM   #3676
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
if you don't see them in the regular pipe section of the hardware store, check the sprinkler supply section; they look like this:

Indeed, I will definitely look for those. Here's an updated Sketchup. The reactor is to scale but the pump, valve and plumbing are not to scale in the drawing. I think it's close but a little tweaking will obviously be needed once I start putting it together. Definitely a cleaner look with the side out elbow for sure.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:39 PM.
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 02:19 PM   #3677
Chebby
Registered Member

Why not rotate the pump 90 degrees and insert the pump output through the reactor's PVC bottom? You will get great mixing and save on the overall footprint. Plus PVC is easier to drill.

Chebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 08:14 PM   #3678
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebby View Post
Why not rotate the pump 90 degrees and insert the pump output through the reactor's PVC bottom? You will get great mixing and save on the overall footprint. Plus PVC is easier to drill.
That is a good idea Chebby, but I would have to make a platform for the reactor to sit on - if I'm reading your description correctly. And I'd still need to plumb the suction side somewhere to recirculate which is the end goal.

Unread 04/01/2012, 04:45 PM   #3679
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Brett,

Have you checked out the new cadlights design?

I think I finally understand what you are trying to accomplish by doing something similar to the reef dynamics one. I have been trying to think if there was anyway possible to use a manifold and I don't think it's possible.

I just hate the fact you would have to use another pump.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 05:17 PM   #3680
tylersarah
Registered Member

We have a purple spiny urchin in a 120 that we feed algae strips to weekly- he loves it.

tylersarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 05:33 PM   #3681
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Brett,

Have you checked out the new cadlights design?

I think I finally understand what you are trying to accomplish by doing something similar to the reef dynamics one. I have been trying to think if there was anyway possible to use a manifold and I don't think it's possible.

I just hate the fact you would have to use another pump.
I have looked at the Cad Lights reactor online. I think what Pete was saying about it was that it's more diverted flow vs total control, from a design standpoint. A true recirculation would allow separate effluent control, which I don't think it has. Besides, I don't think I have the vertical space needed for a design like that. I wish there was a way to plumb it to recirc off the manifold too, but I'm afraid there isn't anyway to do it. Another pump doesn't bother me since I will still use the manifold for my other "passive" reactors.

I think sticking with a more straight forward design is probably best. I went back and reviewed the original video where I got the plumbing idea from. So I've edited down my design and was able to eliminate a few fittings and turns in the pipe. Overall, I think this is the best design so far. Smallest footprint and minimal plumbing involved.

Here's the video of the original Reef Dynamics design. Skip to 7:50 to see a shot of the whole reactor. I've simplified the output side of the plumbing since my Mag 3 can be turned up on it's side, so even less plumbing is necessary. The only thing I will probably add is a threaded valve on the top of the reactor just in case I need to do minor adjustments in flow on the output, but I think flow-through will be mostly controlled from the valve on the manifold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx4H...D55831BE01D992

And the latest design.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:39 PM.
Unread 04/01/2012, 06:03 PM   #3682
psteeleb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
I have looked at the Cad Lights reactor online. I think what Pete was saying about it was that it's more diverted flow vs total control, from a design standpoint. A true recirculation would allow separate effluent control, which I don't think it has.
from the link earlier I did not pick up it has a built in pump, their design should work well. It still does not have individual control on both recirc and thru put but now that I've seen the pump in the video it looks like a good design.

What Brett is designing will have full control on both

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's

Last edited by psteeleb; 04/01/2012 at 06:20 PM.
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 10:01 PM   #3683
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:

What Brett is designing will have full control on both
That's what I'm shootin' for.

Unread 04/03/2012, 05:41 AM   #3684
henrystyle
Registered Member

Quote:
if you don't see them in the regular pipe section of the hardware store, check the sprinkler supply section; they look like this:

check out www.flexpvc.com
If they don't have it, no one else will.

Current Tank Info: 30g frag tank/120g sps dominant reef
henrystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2012, 10:42 AM   #3685
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrystyle View Post
Just another shout out for www.flexpvc.com . They have such an amazing selection of various flexible pvc, pvc fittings, and true union/single union ball valaves it is amazing. It takes a bit of time to get used to their website and ordering process, but its worth it in the end.

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2012, 08:18 PM   #3686
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrystyle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Just another shout out for www.flexpvc.com . They have such an amazing selection of various flexible pvc, pvc fittings, and true union/single union ball valaves it is amazing. It takes a bit of time to get used to their website and ordering process, but its worth it in the end.
Thanks guys.

Unread 04/04/2012, 08:27 PM   #3687
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Couple of upgrades came today. I was getting a small amount of stray voltage, about ~15v, and was finally able to pin it down to my two Theo Heaters. I don't know specifically if they were leaking or if they just weren't insulated very well, but in any event the meter was showing excess voltage. I had felt small tingles on occasion in the past when they were ON, so I decided it was time to take care of it. Out with the old, in with the new!

This time around I went with two Eheim-Jager 250 watt True Temp heaters. I also picked up two 1/2" Uniseals for the reactor mod project. And a new reagent refill for the Hanna Alkalinity Checker.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:40 PM.
Unread 04/05/2012, 11:27 AM   #3688
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

The valve for the reactor mod came today. I went with a 1/2" George Fischer Type 375 True Union Ball Valve. The handle is very easy to adjust and it looks to be extremely well made like the other GF products I've used. Just need to pick up a couple fittings locally and some pipe and I can mock up the plumbing.

GF Type 375 True Union Ball Valve

The size of this 1/2" valve is fairly small. Here's a size comparison with my iPhone so you can get an idea of how small it is.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:41 PM.
Unread 04/05/2012, 12:23 PM   #3689
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Those are the only heaters I would ever buy, now. They seem to last longest. I did get credited for one (Drs F&S, of course) because I noticed water condensation inside. I had it fully submerged, as I do the second one.

I had tried to contact Eheim through the website help form, and never got a response, btw.

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2012, 09:43 AM   #3690
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Those are the only heaters I would ever buy, now. They seem to last longest. I did get credited for one (Drs F&S, of course) because I noticed water condensation inside. I had it fully submerged, as I do the second one.

I had tried to contact Eheim through the website help form, and never got a response, btw.
Indeed. I had some condensation in the both of the Theo heaters I was using. I called Hydor and they said it was "normal" but I had my doubts. I let it go for a few months but the problem didn't seem to get better and/or the tingling in my fingers when feeding the fish etc...

I've used Jager heaters in the past without issue, so I'm hoping these will last a while. I will say jumping up to the 250 watt, they are significantly longer in size than the 200 watt. But considering the tank is in the basement that stays relatively cool all year they seem to be doing a better job keeping the tank temp more regulated. I have the Apex set to a 0.5 degree swing and they are keeping it right there. There's a slight bump when the lights are on but it's only ~0.5 degrees off my heaters - so about 1 degree total per day.

Unread 04/10/2012, 02:19 PM   #3691
mess7777
Registered Member

I can't believe that I never read through this thread before after seeing on the front page so many times!

Amazing build sir.

Your patience is incredible, not many of us can take it that slowly....may I add this is way we all should do it.....it would save a lot of coral and fishes lives!

Also, your DIY skills are unmatched. I only wish I had the capability of doing projects like you have done in finding solutions. Attention to details and also keeping things aesthetically pleasing in the meantime.

Your corals are looking really good, once things start to fill in it will be awesome.

I saw also that you are thinking of adding a leopard wrasse. I am sure you already know but don't do this until you have a healthy pod population and a very established "ecosystem". There is good information in the fish primer series on this site.

Thanks for sharing with us, your work is inspirational....if pete hangs out here a lot you must be doing something right!

mess7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2012, 12:46 PM   #3692
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess7777 View Post
I can't believe that I never read through this thread before after seeing on the front page so many times!

Amazing build sir.

Your patience is incredible, not many of us can take it that slowly....may I add this is way we all should do it.....it would save a lot of coral and fishes lives!

Also, your DIY skills are unmatched. I only wish I had the capability of doing projects like you have done in finding solutions. Attention to details and also keeping things aesthetically pleasing in the meantime.

Your corals are looking really good, once things start to fill in it will be awesome.

I saw also that you are thinking of adding a leopard wrasse. I am sure you already know but don't do this until you have a healthy pod population and a very established "ecosystem". There is good information in the fish primer series on this site.

Thanks for sharing with us, your work is inspirational....if pete hangs out here a lot you must be doing something right!
Thank you very much mess7777. And yes, I'm grateful to have Pete join us here on a regular basis.

Unread 04/11/2012, 12:53 PM   #3693
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

The rest of the reactor mod plumbing parts came in yesterday. So finally I have everything needed to rough out the plumbing for the project. I ended up ordering all of it from US Plastics since the selection of schedule 40/80 gray fittings are somewhat limited at the local Lowe's. US Plastics had everything needed with very competitive prices to complete the project.

I'll update as I rough out the plumbing, but here's the misc fittings and pipe.

Unread 04/12/2012, 10:32 PM   #3694
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

So it was time to replace the bulbs over the tank. I decided to give the Radiums another shot. I really liked the color of Phoenix bulbs for about the first 6 months but they started turning really purple towards the end of their life, which started to bug me. When I fired them up I started to remember what I liked about them 2 years ago. Crisp white with a cool blue overtone.

Here's a size comparison between the old Phoenix (LEFT) and the new Radium (Right).

Another angle.

Closeup.

I also started roughing out the plumbing on the reactor. This is not the reactor that I will be using since it's still online, but it is the same footprint as the SMR1. But it will give you an idea of what the finished mod will look like (kinda). More updates to come on this project...

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 04/12/2012, 10:51 PM   #3695
psteeleb
Registered Member

looking good

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 12:29 AM   #3696
mattsilvester
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
UPDATE:

So it was time to replace the bulbs over the tank. I decided to give the Radiums another shot. I really liked the color of Phoenix bulbs for about the first 6 months but they started turning really purple towards the end of their life, which started to bug me. When I fired them up I started to remember what I liked about them 2 years ago. Crisp white with a cool blue overtone.

Here's a size comparison between the old Phoenix (LEFT) and the new Radium (Right).

Another angle.

Closeup.

I also started roughing out the plumbing on the reactor. This is not the reactor that I will be using since it's still online, but it is the same footprint as the SMR1. But it will give you an idea of what the finished mod will look like (kinda). More updates to come on this project...

I'd be really interested to see the before and afters for the new bulbs

Matt

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

"Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit" - no man is at all times wise.

"To a hammer, everything is a nail!"

Current Tank Info: RSM 130

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:43 PM.
mattsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 11:02 AM   #3697
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
looking good
Thanks Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilvester View Post
I'd be really interested to see the before and afters for the new bulbs
I'll post some new pics up once the bulbs burn in a little longer.

Unread 04/16/2012, 08:34 PM   #3698
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Here's the before/after shots with the new Radiums now that they've burned in for a couple days. It's pretty subtle in the pics but the tank is definitely brighter and lacks the purple hue it had while running the Phoenix bulbs (in a good way).

Phoenix:

Radium:

Also, here's some progression shots of a coral that's made quite a comeback since it's first addition to the tank.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 08:44 PM.
Unread 04/16/2012, 09:33 PM   #3699
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Is the camera exposure exactly the same? It looks to me as if the Radiums are a tad bit brighter.

I love that last coral, in particular!

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2012, 12:22 PM   #3700
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Is the camera exposure exactly the same? It looks to me as if the Radiums are a tad bit brighter.

I love that last coral, in particular!
Yes, I went back and matched the settings of the Phoenix shot with the new pic. I also duplicated the post processing so they should be exactly the same. Now I will say, I ran the Phoenix bulbs on HQI for probably way longer than I should have, so intensity was probably effected significantly. That's why I think the spectrum changed so drastically towards the end. But the tank is definitely brighter with the new Radiums which is somewhat expected I suppose considering they are fresh bulbs.