Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Nexenn
Registered Member

Mixing vodka with reef chili/coral frenzy

I wanted to automate my vodka dosing and also be more consistent with feeding my coral food. So I got an aqualifter, a digital timer and an air pump. Put a weeks worth of food and vodka in a gallon of RO/DI and set the lifter to twice a day. It works perfectly but I was just wondering about the effects of adding vodka to other items such as coral food in the same storage container.

Was thinking about putting some other things in there also, like live or concentrated phytoplankton, essential elements or biological additives like ZEObak

Nexenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2010, 06:00 PM   #2
jflick345
Registered Member

I would say that I probably wouldn't do it simply based on the way fruit soaks up ethanol in sangria or punch. I can't imagine dosing your coral and fish with booze is a good thing so I'm gonna follow for more opinions. haha If you're just pouring vodka into the water column they wouldn't ingest nearly the amount of soaking food in it.

jflick345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Nexenn
Registered Member

Good point. However, I'm adding a weeks worth of vodka which is 20ml@40% to 3875ml of RO/DI. That ends up making the liquid be less than 0.25% alcohol or less than 0.5 proof, which is 1/20th the concentration of a beer.

I personally feel that at that concentration it would reduce the risk of anything you are describing. I think I'm more concerned with possible chemical reactions or effects of using an air stone, to keep the food in suspension, on a solution like this.

Unread 10/09/2010, 07:40 PM   #4
drauka99
Registered Member

and the fish in your system are no doubt 1/20th or less of your size

"I sometimes enjoy watching shadow puppet shows" - jpfelix

"Bacon is Love." - Fat Man

Current Tank Info: 240 Algae Farm System Running
drauka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Nexenn
Registered Member

I'm pretty confident that the alcohol concentration in the food wont hurt the corals or fish. Really just wondering if, even very dilute concentrations of alcohol, breaks down food in any sort of negative way if its sitting in it for a week.

Unread 10/09/2010, 09:59 PM   #6
2 TAZ
Registered Member

Maybee just have extra happy fish...., or clumsy ones.
Not sure but won't that food start breaking down in water too. I could be wrong about that though I thought I read that somewhere.

2 TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote