Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2009, 09:38 AM   #1
fsn77
Registered Member

Question Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller questions

I picked up a used Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller a little while back and just stored it knowing I'd need it in the near future. I pulled it out last night and was looking at the manual online to get the details about calibrating it. I get to the part where it says to adjust the slope while the probe is the pH 4 standard by turning the screw in the center on the back of the unit, only to flip over the unit I have and not see a screw, only a very small hole. Not having used this particular brand before, I'm looking to verify if the screw on the back is visible (and to see if the unit I have is now missing this screw), or is it just recessed that far into the case that I cannot see it?

Also... Is the battery cover suppose to be incredibly difficult to remove? I have the AC adapter, so this isn't a real issue, it just seems odd that I couldn't get the cover off. I tried several different times to slide it off, but it doesn't budge at all.

fsn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Haksar
Registered Member

You can use adaptor instead of battery,never used it.I use the screw in front to adjust the ph while calibrating.But now that I am having ph fluctuations(may be the probe is faulty) I need to check if the back screw if its there is also used for calibrating.

Unread 12/03/2009, 10:15 AM   #3
NCNBilly
Black thumb reefer

Been awhile since I checked mine, but yes - the rear screw is tiny and recessed pretty far.

NCNBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Roy Arena
Registered Member

Yes there is a small hole in the back to adjust. If the unit has not been used for a while maybe pick up a new probe and some calibration packets and you'll be good to go.

Roy Arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Haksar
Registered Member

So while calibrating should we use both the screws back and front.Like say back screw for ph 7 and front screw for ph 9.

Unread 12/03/2009, 02:43 PM   #6
fsn77
Registered Member

Thanks for the help! I'll need to find a smaller screwdriver to fit in that hole.

I'll definitely pick up a new probe and some fresh calibration solutions. The last thing I want to do is complicate setting up my new calcium reactor by using a faulty probe.

Based on the manual, yes, calibration does use both screws, although I've yet to actually do it myself with this particular controller.

From the manual:
Quote:
CALIBRATION PROCEDURE:
• Remove the protective cap from the electrode.

• Immerse the electrode tip into a new sachet of pH 7 calibration solution and allow the reading to stabilize.

• Adjust the OFFSET calibration trimmer (on the front) to display "7.0 pH".

• Open a new sachet of pH 4 calibration solution and use a small quantity to rinse the electrode.

• Immerse the electrode tip into the pH 4 sachet and allow the reading to stabilize.

• Adjust the SLOPE calibration trimmer (on the rear) to display "4.0 pH".

• The calibration is now complete and the meter is ready to take measurements.

• It is suggested to recalibrate the meter at least once a month, after a prolonged stocking time and after pH-electrode replacement.

fsn77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
milwaukee, ph controller, sms122