Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2018, 02:00 PM   #1101
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Either I'm stupid, or you typed that wrong.

How did you do it before if you didn't cut above the plug? Cut some of the plug off and glue it to a new plug?

I now have gone to replacing plugs also, but I dip the bare coral before remounting.
I would drag a scapel along the plug to get the full coral and encrustment off of the old plug. Now I will actually frag the coral from the frag if you will. I will leave whatever is touching the plug on the plug and out of my system. So say the frag is an inch tall. I might only take 3/4" of it after I cut off the bottom with the plug.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 02:15 PM   #1102
homer1475
Registered Member

I got you now, basically frag the frag. It's how I'm doing it now, once I took a course at my LFS on fragging and I'm not afraid to cut the corals.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 08:43 AM   #1103
soulpatch
Registered Member

Continue to see 1 or 2 berghia at night but that is it. So a friend is ordering in more berghia and I will likely take 1/2 of his order. The fact I continue to see some lets me know that my Wrasse is leaving alone the larger ones at least so I have some chance in them kicking off a bigger population. With more int he tank laying eggs I might be able to get the tank back on track.

Unread 04/09/2018, 08:50 AM   #1104
cincyjim
Registered Member

Never got him out huh... sorry. That's one drawback of having a larger tank, you just can't reach in and move a couple of rocks to snag him up.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 08:58 AM   #1105
soulpatch
Registered Member

no he never came out which stinks as he was going to help offset the cost of the berghia. Ah well. Such is life and I like the fish as he is colorful and active.

Unread 04/10/2018, 04:37 AM   #1106
cincyjim
Registered Member

Here's a thought... just a thought. If you have the space and all, maybe you can set up a small tank, place a rock with the aiptasia in it, add some of the Berghia and let them work on it. They might actually breed in the tank as well and you'll have your own supply.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
Unread 04/10/2018, 07:26 AM   #1107
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
Here's a thought... just a thought. If you have the space and all, maybe you can set up a small tank, place a rock with the aiptasia in it, add some of the Berghia and let them work on it. They might actually breed in the tank as well and you'll have your own supply.
Tried it and started to lose them.

I had a 10 gal tank and was putting aiptasia in there from the main tank. I am guessing the slightest salinity swings throw them off as I dont have a second ATO for the backup tank.

Unread 04/10/2018, 07:37 AM   #1108
cincyjim
Registered Member

Darn. That is about all I can think of at the moment. I do wish you the best on this!

Unread 04/10/2018, 07:44 AM   #1109
soulpatch
Registered Member

I will likely try again with the next batch and keep like 2 in there to see if I can breed some.

On a different note I spent my homewrecker money yesterday getting a new golf driver... I cracked my other one that has been with me for 6 years now. Hopefully this one gets as many years of service considering the amount I spent....

Unread 04/10/2018, 08:44 AM   #1110
cincyjim
Registered Member

Wow, I never broke or worn out a club but then again I probably don't play as much as most folks do.

Unread 04/10/2018, 09:13 AM   #1111
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, I never broke or worn out a club but then again I probably don't play as much as most folks do.
I had a small dent in it when I played in winter and the ground was frozen. I topped the drive and the ball came back into the club head denting it slightly. I lived with that for over a year but last fall I went out to play with a friend and had a bad drive. I was cocky and instead of using my rescue wood/iron hybrid I used my driver to punch me up out of the fairway. There was a branch/root I did not notice and the club slammed into it causing my shaft to have a small fracture. I was able to play on but it was a matter of time.

Normally I would have just replaced the shaft but in this instance with the head dented I needed both. Plus this new head seemed to have my hit straighter and longer in the sim so I am good there...

Unread 04/12/2018, 09:56 AM   #1112
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Quote:
I did something similar. I took a small critter cage( maybe a gallon big) and placed a rock with aptasia in it and then placed that in my sump. Added some Berghia and now I just hope that they will breed. Just a thought since salinity would be the same.

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 10:53 AM   #1113
soulpatch
Registered Member

shoot me a pic of what you did jonez.

I get some more berghia in tomorrow so I might try something similar in the sump if I can keep them contained. I had throw in some eggs into my sump to try to have them breed in there but with my macro I cant really see anything.

Unread 05/02/2018, 07:37 AM   #1114
soulpatch
Registered Member

Well it has been a bit since i last posted and i still have a minimum of 2 berghia in my tank that I see frequently after lights out. My one rock is now almost aiptasia free so they are working. I figure i need to add some more though to increase population at a faster rate then the aiptasia is spreading.

I did nuke about 30 aiptasia this past weekend. I know the rock that the berghia are around so on the other side of the tank I kalk pasted a batch of the little bastards.

Now i need to cut back a few more corals who are growing into one another and not liking it. This weekend is a big tank cleaning session and setup for my disney trip. I am really hoping I can make it the 11 days or so I will be gone with 25ish gallons of ATO. With it being summer now and the heat I put out I do burn nearly 2 gallons a day.

I will hook up my one wireless camera back inside so I can watch the tank and if needed i will have a friend on call to visit and refill.

Unread 05/02/2018, 08:19 AM   #1115
cincyjim
Registered Member

Sounds like progress on the aiptasia That'll be close on the ATO water. Have you thought about hooking two containers together with a pipe between them for even drawdown on the water level. That should be boost your water supply to about 40-45 gallons. Don't forget to check your CO2 tank to be sure it won't run out. I've heard of that happening to others before.

Unread 05/02/2018, 08:24 AM   #1116
soulpatch
Registered Member

CO2 tank was recently swapped a couple months ago so should be good to go for a bit longer but great idea to double check.

I could use a rubber made tote I guess to increase my water amount but I worry pumping it into my ATO container might create a siphon since it would be taller. A 20 gal tank is shorter so it breaks any siphon.

Actually looked and while I am off for 11-12 days I am really only gone for 8 so I think I should be ok. I can top off Friday morning and I get back following Saturday night. So 8 days. I should have a couple gallons to spare.

I wouldnt say progress on aiptasia yet but I am nearing even footing I think. If I had like 10 more berghia I might start taking the lead. I need to venture over to my buddies house this weekend to see if he has some spares for me.

Unread 05/02/2018, 09:16 AM   #1117
cincyjim
Registered Member

I was trying to say... use two storage containers, drill a hole near the bottom of each, use bulkheads and a pipe to connect them. The water will equal the same level in each container naturally as it is being used. A mute point as it sounds like you should be good to go but I wanted to clarify what I meant.

Unread 05/02/2018, 09:18 AM   #1118
soulpatch
Registered Member

oh I got what you were saying. I just have to be careful with the height of the units so that I dont create a siphon into my BAO ATO container.

Yes I could move the pump into the new totes and use that BUT it is a PITA to get the wire to the pump to the ATO where it is connected.

Unread 05/08/2018, 09:58 AM   #1119
soulpatch
Registered Member

cleaned the tank and about ready for vacation. Auto feeder is on it now.

Still see the 2 berghia in the tank but no more and have not seen any egg clusters (not that I would as they are tiny and transparent) or young ones roaming around. I need to get in some more and depening on how my vacation spending goes I might grab a few more off of my buddy and still order in another 10 or 20 to really rock my tank back into shape.

I also have to order some more CUC when I get back from vacation. In doing so some of my monster turbos need booted from the tank. They are just knocking crap all over.

My T5 bulbs are also coming up on needing replacement so that will also be part of an order later on.

Finally when I get back some coral trimming needs to happen. There is a frag swap coming up in June so I might try to let things go for near nothing just to offload. I likely have 2 mini colonies of WWC yellow tip to get rid of as well as some SSC... Might try to frag a couple acans as well...

Unread 05/08/2018, 07:01 PM   #1120
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
cleaned the tank and about ready for vacation. Auto feeder is on it now.
Have a fun vacation! I'm looking forward to getting away for a week... It'll be nice, and with the apex, I'll know how the tank is doing. I still need to get a larger ATO reservoir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Finally when I get back some coral trimming needs to happen. There is a frag swap coming up in June so I might try to let things go for near nothing just to offload. I likely have 2 mini colonies of WWC yellow tip to get rid of as well as some SSC... Might try to frag a couple acans as well...
For near nothing you say ? Wish I had some stuff to trade

How many hours are you from the City again? There's a CaRx I'd like to pick up that's out that way, it's just an hour each way to get across Manhattan so I haven't made the trek yet. Could kill two birds with one stone (though I'm sure paying shipping would certainly be more efficient).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 07:09 PM   #1121
soulpatch
Registered Member

I'm about 2.5 hours outside NYC I believe. Can catch an Amtrak from Penn station and be here in like 2 hours...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 05/09/2018, 07:52 AM   #1122
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Have a fun vacation! I'm looking forward to getting away for a week... It'll be nice, and with the apex, I'll know how the tank is doing. I still need to get a larger ATO reservoir...
A webcam is awesome and a must have for extended vacations IMHO. I can watch the refill of the ATO container and not have to set thiings up weeks in advance to monitor for issues. I just bring up my app, rotate the camera, zoom in, and hit the button for the apex to turn on the pump and watch till it is full enough for me.

Quote:
For near nothing you say ? Wish I had some stuff to trade
You gave a me a ton a while ago. Heck I could return decent sized frags of a good chunk of things you have me. Just let me know what ya want and i will hook you up.

I am not sure yet if I will come up for reefapalooza. If I do though I can bring things up your way or at the very least could send items up with friends who are going.

Items I have available to be cut are:

disney - smaller frag but have it ready
wwc yellow tip - mini colonies or frags. Your choice though I prefer to send a mini colony
UC SSC - chunky frag
SSC - chunky frag
Green slimer - mini colony
green planet - mini colony
teal tip acro - large frag
aussie torch - up to 5 heads
bubblegum digi - large frag
superman digi - large frag or mini colony
wwc suicide squad - frag
bubblegum mille - small frag
sunset mille - chunky frag
Orange Passion - small frag
tri color viladia - large frage or mini colony
pink panther - small frag
purple stylo - large frag or mini colony
utter chaos zoas
kracken zoas
potentially some fruit loop zoas

Unread 05/09/2018, 12:59 PM   #1123
homer1475
Registered Member

Web cam is a must, I agree!

I got one for when we went away this year. Not only could I keep an eye on my tank, I could also keep an eye on the person watching my dogs. Zoom, pan, tilt, and sound. I could never get it hooked up to fusion, but it's android app worked great.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 12:00 PM   #1124
soulpatch
Registered Member

well tank survived vacation and memorial day weekend. But it is in a bit of disarray with some algae growing in the tank (due to auto feeder I am sure), glass needs cleaned, and seems my berghia are eaten as I havent seen any in a while.

I dont have much time to work on it recently either as I have to prep my motorcycle and trailer for sale this weekend to swap into jet skis (woot!!!) and with beach season upon us I am gone most weekends. Plus this summer I have trips to Dublin, Madrid, and London stacked up where I will be gone almost 2 weeks to meet with some of my partners.

I am hoping to have some down time this Sunday to do a large water change, nuke a ton of aiptasia, and maybe even break out the old peroxide paste to combat some algae in the tank. Probably stop feeding for the rest of this week and into next as well so my tangs and foxface start eating the stuff they are supposed to...

Unread 06/24/2018, 05:11 PM   #1125
soulpatch
Registered Member

Sorry for delay in updates but I bought a jetski fir the beach house and well been out riding when I can. Also sold my race bike setup and trailer so had to get those items squared away.

For the tank aiptasia warfare is in full swing. I have been spot hitting with kalk paste and over the weekend added 25 berghia. Hopefully some survive and lay some eggs before my wrasse finds em.

I lost 1 acro and part of another due to aiptasia and algae choking them out. Thankfully only basic pieces so no real loss. I did lose my rainbow wall hammer shortly after vacation which was a bummer.

I really need to frag a colony sized piece of my awc yellow tip so if someone wants it and is willing to pay for the shipping let me know...

As for fish I still have not added anything new for a while and with summer here my time to qt is non existant. That said my cousin has raised some bangia cardinals that I will grab a few of.

9ther fish I'm looking to add soonish are copperband, gold midas blenny, some goby/shrimp pair, and one other fish to complete things

Need to restock my cuc some more as well. Stuff has died off and I was not best in replacing it.

Equipment wise i need to swap out my t5 bulbs again, replace my back wall jabeos that have died, and redo where and how I have my reactor. I want to move it external from my stand for easier access...

I also want to get those filter cups to replace my socks. If anyone has em and has any complaints or watch out items let me know.

Sorry no new coral additions as I am in summer grow out. IE I don't have time to do much...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk