Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 09:24 PM   #1
brians_224
Registered Member

exact idip users out there?

Hi - thanks for your time!

I'm using the exact idip test kit. I wanted to compare my experiences with others that may be using this device. Im excited about this device and its potential. But Im struggling.

I'm not able to get what I would call reliable results - same test, executed multiple times, producing varying results. I don't expect them to be identical but the differences seem outside of what I consider acceptable...

test performed in the same day:
alk dkh 1.8 diff between hi an low
Calcium 22 ppm swing
Nitrate from 14.0 ppm to LO

many tests for nitrates and phosphates over multiple days report LO results - I don't believe it as I'm in the midst of some algae event.

Are you getting results you can trust?

I've watched the videos for each test, recognize the tips, scrub cell with 5% vinegar solution between every test. I'm being as cautious and consistent as I am able.

Thanks!

brians_224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 04:52 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

Had never heard of this so I did some digging.....

What your experiencing seems the norm for these kits as they are not very accurate, and subsequent tests typically result in different readings every time.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 07:52 AM   #3
MarkW64
Registered Member

I purchased one over a year ago. I was very excited to have something that I thought would give me nice "clean" objective numbers -- I hate how subjective and imprecise typical color tests are. I have been very disappointed with how variable my results are. Even if I attempt to run a test identically multiple time consecutively they vary. I might get the same number twice in a row, but then run it a third time and get something dramatically different.

I keep meaning to give it another try...

Unread 01/19/2018, 09:11 AM   #4
setch
Registered Member

I have the Exact iDip 570 with the Marine test kits and have been using it for several months now on my new and still cycling tank. Below are my findings compared to Salifert, Redsea and the Seneye reef that I am also using until I am confident of which kit to use as my main.

IDIP
===
NH4 LO (0.006 is the lowest it will read) so returns low if below that
NO2 0.98
NO3 39
CA 437
PO4 0
PH 8.3

Salifert
=====
NH4 0.01
NO2 1
NO3 30-35
CA 440
PO4 0
PH 8.2

Redsea
=====
NH4 0.01
NO2 1
NO3 30-35
CA 430
PO4 0
PH 8.4

Seneye Reef
========
NH4 0.007
PH 8.3

My tests over the past months have been pretty much the same as the other kits, only problem with color comparison is how good are my eyes. At least with the iDip, I have had what I believe to be reliable readings which would indicate a good progressing cycle.

Hope this helps
Setch

setch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 09:58 AM   #5
MarkW64
Registered Member

setch, are those just a single set of readings? or averages?

Have you tested your iDip readings for repeatability? For example, that iDip CA reading of 437 -- if that was a single reading what would you have gotten if you had tested multiple times? The one time I tested Calcium with the iDip I got my first reading and then immediately retested and my second result was 10% lower.

I mostly played around with the iDip a few months back to test PO4 when dealing with an algae problem. I ran the test six times back-to-back and here were my results: .09 .11 .04 .10 .08 .09 .06 ...frustratingly variable!

Unread 01/19/2018, 11:07 AM   #6
setch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
setch, are those just a single set of readings? or averages?

Have you tested your iDip readings for repeatability? For example, that iDip CA reading of 437 -- if that was a single reading what would you have gotten if you had tested multiple times? The one time I tested Calcium with the iDip I got my first reading and then immediately retested and my second result was 10% lower.

I mostly played around with the iDip a few months back to test PO4 when dealing with an algae problem. I ran the test six times back-to-back and here were my results: .09 .11 .04 .10 .08 .09 .06 ...frustratingly variable!
The above example was a single day. The following are the NO2 readings for the last 14 consecutive days:
0.60, 0.56, 0.56, 0.42, 0.42, 0.42, 0.35, 0.35, 0.21, 0.21, 0.21, 0.14, 0.07, 0.07

Because the above are precise numbers, when I run the Salifert and Redsea tests, it makes it a little easier to judge where the colors are and they do seem to match closely.

For the Alk and Ca tests, Idip matches both the other test kits titration results closely.

I think a lot depends on how you do the iDip tests.

1. Cleaning the tube between tests with the brush and test water is essential
2. Starting the dipping of the strip just as the 20 appears.
3. A steady 2 strokes per second
4. Remove the strip immediately the 1 second appears

Also cover the tube with the cover when zeroing and reading.

My local LFS rejected the idea of electronic testing out of hand, they had not heard of Exact iDip, so not sure why they would say they are not good. Anyway I asked them for a sample of their Display Tank water, which I took home and tested AL, CA, PO4, NO3, PH, when I showed them the results, they did not put up any argument. I assume that they get a big mark up on test kits they sell and would not want to lose those sales.

It is currently working for me and I always backup with other test kits. I am hoping that by the time I have Fish and Coral in my tanks, it will have proven itself to be reliable enough to be my main source of testing. Maybe with the odd test from the other kits to keep me safe.

Hope this helps, you can always contact the vendor they are very helpful and will send you new strips if they believe that yours may be faulty.

Setch

Unread 01/19/2018, 03:58 PM   #7
MarkW64
Registered Member

Sketch, thanks for the follow up. I’m glad to hear you have been able to get consistent results. I’ve tried to be very consistent with my techniques just as you describe, hopefully with a bit more practice maybe I can match your experiences.

Brian’s 224 (OP) good luck to you also!

Anybody else out there able to report consistent results? I SO want this to work.

Unread 01/19/2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Darrell Brady
Registered Member

good luck I could never get consistent results.

Darrell Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 04:52 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

It's interesting to see some numbers. I'm glad the unit is working for you! Maybe we'll get some more reviews soon.

Unread 01/19/2018, 06:30 PM   #10
brians_224
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the feed back! Seems like people love it or hate it.

Anyone that is having success willing to post lot details of their reagent strips?

Im going to run other testing methods side by side for a while. Feels like a hassle and expense I shouldn't have to go through. It should just work.

brians_224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 05:11 AM   #11
angkor3
Registered Member

Hallo,
I'm writing you from Italy, so sorry for my English.
I have bought it six months ago and I have problems with the results!
Me too I have to use traditional reagents test and compare the results with those of the photometer.
I think it's no reliable and in particular with Alk test: I use Salifet, Aquaforest and Royal Nature test and they all give me more or less the same result (8.3/8.4)...the photometer says 4.9/5.0.....it's a huge difference. For I while I went on adding Kh buffer 'til I have realized that the result was not reliable! But you can imagine that the tank wasn't ok at all!
I have written many many times to the company and at the beginning thay have Always answered me...'til the 5th of December, the last day I had to open a controversy with Paypal to send it back. Now they don't answer anymore and if I try to get some help they just say nothing!
I'm not happy at all!

angkor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 10:45 AM   #12
setch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angkor3 View Post
Hallo,
I'm writing you from Italy, so sorry for my English.
I have bought it six months ago and I have problems with the results!
Me too I have to use traditional reagents test and compare the results with those of the photometer.
I think it's no reliable and in particular with Alk test: I use Salifet, Aquaforest and Royal Nature test and they all give me more or less the same result (8.3/8.4)...the photometer says 4.9/5.0.....it's a huge difference. For I while I went on adding Kh buffer 'til I have realized that the result was not reliable! But you can imagine that the tank wasn't ok at all!
I have written many many times to the company and at the beginning thay have Always answered me...'til the 5th of December, the last day I had to open a controversy with Paypal to send it back. Now they don't answer anymore and if I try to get some help they just say nothing!
I'm not happy at all!
With the ALK test, I have two tanks on the go at the moment. A quarantine and Display. The readings for my QT tank for Alk at pretty much the same as the Redsea and Salifert tests. But on the Display Tank I am getting a consistent low reading of 6.6-6.9 dKH, where Redsea and Salifert are both showing around the 8.3 mark. This does not make sense to me given that the iDip reads correctly on the Quarantine, the only thing that I can put this down to is the fact that at the moment I have cloudy water in the Display Tank due to a massive bacterial bloom and this somehow is having an impact on how the iDip is getting readings. Maybe cloudy or dirty water has an impact on electronic readers. I will email Sensafe and ask them the question.

Setch

Unread 04/17/2019, 03:41 PM   #13
reeferKen
Registered Member

anyone else sticking to the idip out there? Wondered if their reagents improved i accuracy. Thanks

reeferKen is offline   Reply With Quote