Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2015, 05:13 PM   #76
rmchoi
Registered Member

Problems with the ATO

Over the past week, the ATO pump start to get much louder, spitting and spurting water, even though the RO reservoir was full. I changed out the Avast pump and went with a Tunze Osmolator.

I am impressed. The optical sensor and float switch combo up is nice back up to have. Even more, I like how quiet it is. It is also nice to see the control showing the water level and pump status. One thing I wish is the alerts on the Tunze controller could be linked into the Apex to notify of the same low/high level alerts.

Having said this, the guys at Avast are great! They are going to warranty the ATO pump with a replacement. They are always customer oriented and tremendously helpful.

I believe all the controls I will have, are now complete and installed on the equipment panel doors. The controls from left to right: Apex unit, skimmer, MP10 (on back wall), MP40, MP40, Apex controller, Tunze ATO.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 03:23 PM.
rmchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 05:21 PM   #77
stinkyreef
Registered Member

Very nice build! The base is top notch and can't wait to see the tank mature

stinkyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 07:42 AM   #78
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyreef View Post
Very nice build! The base is top notch and can't wait to see the tank mature
Thanks stinkyreef - In the next few days, I plan to transfer the rest of the fish, inverts and corals from a 40G. Most of the corals will be LPS and a few SPS.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:30 AM.
Unread 03/05/2015, 02:53 PM   #79
dabob79
Registered Member

Very nice, following!!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 10:54 PM   #80
Kbdeprima
Registered Member

Nice stand!!

Kbdeprima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 04:18 PM   #81
rmchoi
Registered Member

Day 17

Green hair algae is almost gone. Transferred the remainder of fish from other tank; 2 x clowns, 2 x firefish, 2 x green chromis, 5 x SPS corals and 2 x bubble tip anemones.

Day 18

Green algae is mostly gone from the live rock and sand. Added a yellow tang and yellow eye tang. Concerned the algae in the tank is clearing up too quickly, so feeding slightly more and started phytoplanktin.

Algae receded and gone on the sand and rock.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 03:27 PM.
Unread 03/07/2015, 04:34 PM   #82
rmchoi
Registered Member

Day 19

Moved the rest of the LPS corals, added a wrasse and broke down the old tank.

Full view of display tank.

A couple pictures of the center channel.

Also added three different gorgonians as a back drop to the channel.

Corals along the base of the live rock are LPS. The SPS in the higher tier of the live rock.

Green hammer head, blue hammer head, yellow torch, blueberry gorgonian, red gorgonian corals. Fish; wrasse, potters angel, yellow tang.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 03:32 PM.
Unread 03/08/2015, 02:47 PM   #83
rmchoi
Registered Member

Lost animals

This morning I woke up to see a Vortech MP-40 unattached and sitting on the rocks. Inside was the remains of the RBTA. I also found two angels on the sand. After testing the water, I concluded the loss of flow created enough change and stress on the angels.

Additional lighting

After breaking down the other tank, I took the light from it and added to this tank. Instead of high power, I opted for lower power and better spread.

It was difficult to add this light in the center. I had to work around and maintain the center brace by modifying the RMS mount.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/27/2017 at 03:34 PM.
Unread 03/14/2015, 07:05 PM   #84
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

I've been following from the start and this is an absolutely beautiful build. Your attention to detail is awesome. Sorry about the BTA and angels. Really looking forward to seeing your tank grow and thrive!

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
MaccaPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2015, 01:35 PM   #85
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaPopEye View Post
I've been following from the start and this is an absolutely beautiful build. Your attention to detail is awesome. Sorry about the BTA and angels. Really looking forward to seeing your tank grow and thrive!
Thanks - appreciate you following along. Not much to report, but hope to provided some updates soon.

Unread 04/07/2015, 03:56 PM   #86
rickztahone
Registered Member

quick question, I am making a sump that I am making to be very similar to yours. I would like to make my first section similar so that it overflows in to the socks section. My question is, when the sump is running, doesn't the filter sock float in that section because of all of the water in that chamber? Is this a problem for you?

Do you have a video with the sump running?

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 07:54 AM   #87
Redbellyjx
Registered Member

Well done! Looks well planned out and executed.

Redbellyjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 09:57 AM   #88
Dice750
Registered Member

Well what are the odds, very nice build, I just posted a thread about a similar stand build that I had a question about.

Is the vertical center support at the front of the stand necessary or could you just run a header the length of the stand only have the side panels supporting it?

Dice750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 11:09 AM   #89
Redbellyjx
Registered Member

sorry if i missed it- but how tall is your stand?

Redbellyjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 10:10 PM   #90
SpikeDangles
Registered Member

Awesome awesome build. Sorry for the loss of livestock. Any idea what caused the mp40 to disconnect?

I'm curious about what your using the light the inside of your stand, it looks good.

SpikeDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 02:40 PM   #91
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
quick question, I am making a sump that I am making to be very similar to yours. I would like to make my first section similar so that it overflows in to the socks section. My question is, when the sump is running, doesn't the filter sock float in that section because of all of the water in that chamber? Is this a problem for you?

Do you have a video with the sump running?
rickztahone - The acrylic sock holder has two holes; the top hole is larger to fit the top collar of the sock and the lower hole is smaller fitting the bottom collar of the sock.

The sock fit the holes with enough friction to keep it in place. Without any friction to hold it in place, they would float as you mentioned.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:00 AM.
Unread 04/16/2015, 03:02 PM   #92
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDangles View Post
Awesome awesome build. Sorry for the loss of livestock. Any idea what caused the mp40 to disconnect?

I'm curious about what your using the light the inside of your stand, it looks good.
Thanks SpikeDangles - My RTBA moved close enough to get sucked into it. The anemone moved much farther than I would have ever thought it could to get to the powerhead!

The lights are stick on LED strips from Home Depot. They are bright, easy to install and add no extra heat to the cabinet. I highly recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbellyjx View Post
sorry if i missed it- but how tall is your stand?
Redbellyjx - The stand is 40" tall and the top of tank 62". This is nice height to view without leaning down. Cleaning the glass is not bad either, but I do need a step stool to reach the bottom of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice750 View Post
Well what are the odds, very nice build, I just posted a thread about a similar stand build that I had a question about.

Is the vertical center support at the front of the stand necessary or could you just run a header the length of the stand only have the side panels supporting it?
Dice750 - The laminate header beam carries the weight without the center post, no problem. There is no pressure on the post and thought to remove it. Its more a security blanket.

Well done! Looks well planned out and executed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Redbellyjx! So far, the stand design is making maintenance and changes seem easy.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:10 AM.
Unread 04/21/2015, 05:23 PM   #93
rickztahone
Registered Member

OP, I was wondering with what tool you cut out the holes for the sock inserts?

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 07:58 AM   #94
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
OP, I was wondering with what tool you cut out the holes for the sock inserts?

Here is picture of the acrylic hole cutter from eBay, about $15.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:32 AM.
Unread 05/01/2015, 10:08 PM   #95
dgilpin22
Registered Member

Question about your lighting.

Did you have any issues with the two xr30s over your 75g? (shadowing, low par, etc.)

The RMS tank mounts. Did you have any problems getting those to center over the tank? I have heard a few people complain that they weren't "long enough" and they were not very efficient lighting mounts.

dgilpin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2015, 07:15 AM   #96
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilpin22 View Post
Question about your lighting.

Did you have any issues with the two xr30s over your 75g? (shadowing, low par, etc.)

The RMS tank mounts. Did you have any problems getting those to center over the tank? I have heard a few people complain that they weren't "long enough" and they were not very efficient lighting mounts.
dgilpin22- Although the (2) XR30 (with wide angle lenses) spreads plenty of light throughout the tank without shadowing, the SPS did better near the vicinity directly below the "light pucks". Going to (3) XR30 units allowed SPS placement anywhere.

The RMS tank mounts work very well for my tank, but my tank is is only 18" wide. Centering the light on wider tanks, I believe up to 36" wide, shouldn't be a problem. The longer the arm used, the more "bouncy" they will be, if you bump them while cleaning glass or working in the tank. However, they should still work adequately. For tank mounting, they look clean and work well.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 09:08 AM.
Unread 05/07/2015, 10:50 AM   #97
Knd107
Registered Member

Hey, nice build.

Are those the biotek filter socks? If so, how you liking them so far?

Also, I got the Building An Obsession Dosing Containers. I haven't used them yet but they are pretty sweet to just look at. haha.

Knd107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2015, 07:59 PM   #98
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd107 View Post
Hey, nice build.

Are those the biotek filter socks? If so, how you liking them so far?

Also, I got the Building An Obsession Dosing Containers. I haven't used them yet but they are pretty sweet to just look at. haha.
Thanks Knd107 - Yes they are Biotek filter socks. They are heavy duty and well made. I have eight socks that I rotate through every other day, so I suspect I won't need replacements for a while.

I agree, the BOA containers are as nice as I've seen, until I saw the Neptune DOS Dual Reservoir today. It appears Neptune has stepped it up and taking the hobby to another level.

Last edited by rmchoi; 12/28/2017 at 08:57 AM.
Unread 05/17/2015, 04:10 PM   #99
davidwithababy
Registered Member

I'd love to see an updated FTS =) Beautiful tank with so much awesome equipment! Makes the tech bug in me excited! Thanks!

davidwithababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 11:09 AM   #100
s2nhle
Registered Member

Very nice and thoughtful. Any latest update? Thank you for sharing.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote