Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 06:35 PM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

Want to beef up my ATO reservoir...

I was thinking I'd get a Neptune ATO, add a 5 gallon reservoir to my existing 3 gallon that came with my Red Sea Reefer 425 and get me an 8 gallon setup. Then I started looking into hiding a 20 gallon reservoir in the closet immediately behind my tank. It would take a small modification to create a hole in the wall for plumbing. I guess what I'm wondering is just how hard it would be to handle something like this. The Neptune ATO system seems to have plenty head strength to pump form the bottom of a 28" vertical tank to my tank. Thought I'd reach out, see what folks have done. And see if anyone uses the Neptune ATO specifically in something like this. Anyone?

A second thought is I could eliminate the 3 gallon tank that came with the tank and sits on top of my sump. This would open up a section in my sump that currently just is the receiver section of the tank for the return. I'm sure I could use that space for something. If I could put a 20 gallon reservoir, having that 3 gallon wouldn't be necessary.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:40 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I can't speak to the pumps strength, but I would guess that it will be fine pumping from somewhere slightly remote to the tank. I would suggest using just one container for your topoff water - adding multiple containers just adds unnecessary complexity. IMHO, the simpler it is the less chance of failure., so ditch the small container that sits on top of the sump. Besides - who doesn't need more space in the sump area???

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Indymann99
Registered Member

+1 on ditch the 3gal on top of sump. 20G remote should be plenty... I however keep a ATO capacity that if it failed ON would not overflow the sump...

Unread 02/18/2018, 07:11 PM   #4
beertech
Registered Member

I'm running my Neptune ATK from a 20 gal reservoir in the basement to my display on the main floor. Total height is 15 feet, length of tubing is actually 45 feet. No problem at all.
The ATK has so many redundant failsafes, I'm not worried about having such a big reservoir.

beertech is offline   Reply With Quote