Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2014, 04:02 PM   #1
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Champaign Urbana Reef Club?

Hello All,

I was just curious, is there a Champaign/Urbana reef club? Would there be any interest to start one?

Unread 04/14/2014, 09:49 PM   #2
syrinx
Registered Member

This is one. Anyone here can offer to host a meeting, and invite folks over to see your system and discuss reefing, trade frags etc.

Unread 04/15/2014, 08:50 AM   #3
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Has there been a data set for the next meeting yet? I am happy to host one

Unread 04/15/2014, 11:38 AM   #4
_shorty_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangelr View Post
Has there been a data set for the next meeting yet? I am happy to host one
Unfortunately, there's not a ton of activity here. Tommer has tried to actively get people involved and even helped organize the Decatur frag swap and a few other small events, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of time investment by local reefers in our area that I'm aware of. You can always organize something and try, though. I think it'd be great to have more involvement so I'll come if I can. I don't know how logistics work in how many people you could bring into your lab, but I bet there are several people that'd love to see it.

_shorty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2014, 12:51 PM   #5
elmatth1
Premium Member

Shorty's right, not a whole lot of activity here. Check out some of the FB groups that have started up. I know one that I'm a member of is in your area called Chambana Reef. It is fairly active, but there aren't any meetings or anything like that.

Unread 04/15/2014, 04:10 PM   #6
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Ya.. I joined the Facebook club, but I have some Facebook aversions.. I guess I could try post in there.. There are at least 5 of us that I know in Champaign that would likely be interested.

I don't really care how many people feel like getting involved, reef clubs to me are just a good time to have a beer or two and chat with fellow reefers, so I think we should do something..

Unread 04/15/2014, 04:39 PM   #7
elmatth1
Premium Member

I have Facebook aversions as well. Actually, I didn't even have a FB account till I decided to join some of the local groups, which, unfortunately, are on FB. I don't even have a single FB "friend", but I am active on several FB groups!

Unread 04/15/2014, 11:42 PM   #8
tommer725
The boy who cried fish

Yes. As I see it, this area is dead, yet alive. i have tried to bring people together in the past through different events, mostly people on Facebook and here. There are some problems but it tends to work. Yes, most of the activity happens on facebook, but mentioning the groups and such here isn't a good idea. There are rules set in place on this forum for no advertising of other groups/clubs.

The problem with Facebook is it has a different feel to it. Facebook, has more of a social media look at it(necause that is what it is),and you get people who sell, buy, and trade on there too. But this group is more information associated and has less people, but when they post it is for better reasons than the "my reef is looking nice today" posts you get on Facebook (not hating on those, but they can get old). It really just depends what you like. The events are hard to get going, and mostly results in more orginasations (spelled wrong?) on Facebook. Every time an event happens or someone finds the world of Facebook, and the groups on it, there is a new group for their small hometown. I once belonged to 35 or so groups on Facebook for central Illinois. Most of them were small though, and it seemed like everyone had to have their own page/club/group/whatever. They all only have a few members, except for the big 3 groups, which lots of people in illinois belongs to. I am starting to like this forum more, because people seem to go into more depth on here, but I think people are more formal on here also, but that doesn't bug me.

TL;DR: It is opinion on what you like in terms of groups, but Illinois is very much alive with reefers.

P.S. I am not good at writing down my thoughts sometimes, so if this doesn't make sense point it out, lol.

Last edited by tommer725; 04/15/2014 at 11:50 PM.
tommer725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 04:13 AM   #9
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

I'd be somewhat interested. Champaign or Bloomington are the closest viable areas for a club to me. I get involved with JARC on occasion, but can only attend a meeting or two a year. I'm pretty much a workaholic, but enjoy the occasional reef club meeting and meeting new people.

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 04:53 AM   #10
johnike
Moved On

If anyone ever feels like a road trip, I'm always open to visitors.
I'm south of Princeton, North of Henry. 4 wheelers and guns welcome as well.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 09:10 AM   #11
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

4 wheelers and guns sounds like a good time!!! But I think Princeton is a little far to get the CU community out there..

But, I am still interested to do meetings. One would be a start and then maybe we could do something quarterly or less if thats all people can make.. There is a strong community of reefers just in my building so I think that is a start..

Unread 04/16/2014, 09:38 AM   #12
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

I tried the Facebook group and the only response I got was a 'like' from my co-worker.. LOL

Unread 04/16/2014, 04:50 PM   #13
syrinx
Registered Member

It really is as easy as saying- I am going to have a meeting and ask for RSVPs. The problem with a "proper" club, is one or two people end up doing the majority of the work- and others complain. With this method, if someone wants a meeting- then they have the power to host one. The only thing that is frowned upon is meetings or swaps or whatever that are partnered with other entities- ie LFS or other clubs. I have been to a few meetings- and they are basically cookouts or potlucks with reefers instead of relatives.

Unread 04/16/2014, 04:53 PM   #14
syrinx
Registered Member

Club outings to Shedd, and inland aquatics have been done in the past as well. To be honest as people have gravitated towards social networking, there doesnt seem to be as much interest in physical social contact!

Unread 04/16/2014, 05:15 PM   #15
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Ill post meeting details and ask for RVPs.. Be back soon!

Unread 04/16/2014, 09:00 PM   #16
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnike View Post
If anyone ever feels like a road trip, I'm always open to visitors.
I'm south of Princeton, North of Henry. 4 wheelers and guns welcome as well.
I still owe you a visit the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. Pretty sure I still have your number in my phone. Things should hopefully slow down now that tax season has passed.

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 08:05 AM   #17
Curt2199
Registered Member

@deangelr, I saw your post on the Champaign Urbana site but don't have the time at the moment to get any meetings going and my guess is others might not yet either. Plus right now is a bad time for it with the warm weather just starting to show up and people wanting to get outside during their free time. I can tell you that for the next 3-4 months or so, if it's nice out I'll either be boating, cooking out, or working on a project. The next month will be especially busy but come June/July we are moving back to decatur and I'll be moving the tanks so I may try to line up some other reefers who are interested in helping with the move. If another purchase I'm trying to line up this weekend comes through then I'll have something pretty exciting to bring with me to Decatur when we move that I'm sure many reef enthusiasts would like to see. lol

Curtis

Curt2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 08:34 AM   #18
_shorty_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2199 View Post
If another purchase I'm trying to line up this weekend comes through then I'll have something pretty exciting to bring with me to Decatur when we move that I'm sure many reef enthusiasts would like to see. lol
The suspense is mounting!...
I'm in Decatur, let me know when you need some help.

Unread 04/17/2014, 11:15 AM   #19
johnike
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
I still owe you a visit the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. Pretty sure I still have your number in my phone. Things should hopefully slow down now that tax season has passed.
You betcha.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 03:54 PM   #20
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2199 View Post
@deangelr, I saw your post on the Champaign Urbana site but don't have the time at the moment to get any meetings going and my guess is others might not yet either. Plus right now is a bad time for it with the warm weather just starting to show up and people wanting to get outside during their free time. I can tell you that for the next 3-4 months or so, if it's nice out I'll either be boating, cooking out, or working on a project. The next month will be especially busy but come June/July we are moving back to decatur and I'll be moving the tanks so I may try to line up some other reefers who are interested in helping with the move. If another purchase I'm trying to line up this weekend comes through then I'll have something pretty exciting to bring with me to Decatur when we move that I'm sure many reef enthusiasts would like to see. lol

Curtis
Interested in this purchase as well..

I was thinking of just a like a 90 min or 2 hour meeting on the Thursday night or something.. Ive got a dozen or so frags I could give away.. Frogspawn, duncans, candy canes.. etc.. So maybe that would engender some enthusiasm..

Sometime in May or June.

Unread 04/17/2014, 03:55 PM   #21
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

And some clownfish for anyone that might want one, or two..

Unread 04/18/2014, 07:54 AM   #22
Curt2199
Registered Member

I'm sure you won't have a problem finding someone to take free stuff.

Unread 04/18/2014, 08:41 AM   #23
_shorty_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangelr View Post
And some clownfish for anyone that might want one, or two..
lol - I think I know where you find clownfish to give away.

Unread 04/18/2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Curt2199
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _shorty_ View Post
lol - I think I know where you find clownfish to give away.
No kidding, tell Mun to get to breeding those designer pairs so we can pick those up on the cheap. lol

Unread 04/21/2014, 03:51 PM   #25
Curt2199
Registered Member

As promised, I put this up on a couple of the facebook groups but in case there's folks not following them here's the new tank. It's about 700 gallons (8 x 4 x 37in height) and I'll be moving it to the basement of our Decatur house mid-june. Will be looking for people who are interested in helping get it in the house and on the stand. lol

Curtis