Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2014, 02:40 PM   #1
mpcart
Registered Member

Apex Alarm Experts

So last night I got a text message from my Apex that my skimmate locker was full. I ran down to the tank room and had water all over the place. The Apex didn't shut down my skimmer pump and overflowed the locker, my equipment shelf, and all over my floor. Luckily, I caught it immediately or I could have lost a lot of water.

Anyway, I thought my pressure switch in the skimmate locker wasn't working again but just realized this morning that it was working - otherwise I wouldn't have gotten an alarm. Turns out that I accidentally left the EB8 skimmer outlet on "ON" instead of "AUTO" so it didn't turn off when it got the signal.

So this got me thinking, can I set an alarm that looks at certain critical outlets and makes sure they are in the right state - and if not - sends me an alarm message? I'd like all my critical outlets that shut down due to high temperature, skimmer overflows, etc. to be in the "AUTO" position to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I don't know if this makes sense. Maybe this guy can explain it better.

Any way to do this with the Apex?

-Mike

mpcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Tradewinds
Registered Member

If you don't get an answer here you may want to try Neptune's forum:
http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php

Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 05:56 AM   #3
trukgirl
<3

I'm not sure about your question (I leave all of mine on auto) but I agree with Tradewinds, any question I've had about programming my Apex I found help in that forum.

"The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian." - unk.

Current Tank Info: 44g corner clown/nem tank, 220g aggressive/predator w/75g sump, Apex controlled, Kessil lit
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 08:43 AM   #4
ebius
Yup!

If I am reading this correctly, this is possible but it is a little complicated. Give this a quick read and see if that situation will fit your problem/issue. I can talk to you more about it if you would like.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384117

ebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 04:56 PM   #5
mpcart
Registered Member

Thanks. I'm not sure if that helps me - I need to think about it as it always takes me a while to process these Apex issues.

All my conditional outlets are set to Auto an the rest are set to on. For example, my heater outlet is on auto but my powerhead is set to ON because I have no conditions that would want me to change its state. In the situation I described above I accidentally changed an outlet to ON when it should have been set to AUTi

Maybe I need to approach this differently. Should I have any outlet set to ON or should all if then be set to AUTO?

-Mike

Unread 04/21/2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Tradewinds
Registered Member

If all of the outlets were set to auto, you would need conditional operands for each outlet, which could introduce more complexity than benefit. I am a KISS fan. If you always want an outlet on, make it so and turn it off as needed.

Unread 04/21/2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Tradewinds
Registered Member

I just asked a similar question on the Neptune forum. Check out the thread below to see if any of RussM's suggestions solves your problem as well.
http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...960-Auto-Alarm

Unread 04/21/2014, 06:52 PM   #8
mpcart
Registered Member

Thanks - that looks helpful.

I have (4) EB8's and (1) EB4 so with 36 outlets it's sometimes hard for me to notice when one of them is in the wrong position. That's why I'm asking a seemingly dumb question.

-Mike

Unread 04/21/2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Tradewinds
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcart View Post
Thanks - that looks helpful.

I have (4) EB8's and (1) EB4 so with 36 outlets it's sometimes hard for me to notice when one of them is in the wrong position. That's why I'm asking a seemingly dumb question.

-Mike
I think it is an excellent question.

Unread 04/22/2014, 07:05 AM   #10
ebius
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
If all of the outlets were set to auto, you would need conditional operands for each outlet, which could introduce more complexity than benefit. I am a KISS fan. If you always want an outlet on, make it so and turn it off as needed.
This isn't necessarily true. You can use the SET command to have an auto outlet just be on without conditions. This also allows you to tun off something that you always want on, say a return pump, in case of a holy crap happening.

I went back and reread what you are looking for. I don't think it can be done as there is no logical state of "auto". All outlets are either on or off. with that many, I would suggest making the switch to having them all set to auto. This would make for a much easier visual from the home page if something was in the incorrect location.

ebius is offline   Reply With Quote