Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2018, 09:39 PM   #1
Dsekula
Registered Member

The reef is going on vacation and getting a new home

Like most reefers I started with one idea, learned, learned some more and decided on some other ideas lol....
So originally my main tank was that idea all of us have thought about when looking at those small spare tanks laying around.
That's right I took two 22ish gal tanks and fused them to an L shaped corner tank. I love the tank, I hate the giant blind spot in the middle somehow I just didn't consider this blindspots and can't stand it. I also need more elbow room in my sump(s). I'll post some current pics so we can compair as I work . Over all I haven't change much of this original design in two years and probably wouldn't.... But.... The hubby and I are redoing alot of our floors including the room the tanks are in
The hubby said well just store the reef in the basement (he obviously doesn't have much to do with the tank).
This spurred my idea. I'm going to add a basement workshop area including a nice spacious sump setup. I will slowly move biomaterial down and add volume eventually moving all the reef inhabants to the basement along with the existing lights etc and faze out the current display system. The existing volume of my system is 110gal and the new sump I'm planning will be about 100 so this should be a feasible transition with only minor upset if done slowly. While this is transitioning I plan on building a new tank setup for display. Then refinishing the floors, placing the new tank into the sump setup and slowly transitioning the reef back to it's display location bringing the final total gallons up to about 200. I hoping that by taking these steps and moving the existing equipment with all the biofilters intact etc we can cause the smallest upset possible and take care of some system upgrading at the same time. KIMG0011.jpgKIMG0009.JPGKIMG0419.jpgKIMG0423.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

I'm in the planning and gathering supplies stage still, but started building my stand and work bench and started installing my new sink. You can see my existing chem mixing in the background. This was more organized untill I moved everything to start construction KIMG0536.jpgIMG_20180322_223118_2.jpg

Unread 03/28/2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well... if anyone happens to check out these build threads lol I finished plumbing, let everything set for 24hrs, and did my freshwater leak test.. everything looks ok so far so now I get to really have fun and start adding to my new base.
As a side note, none of the return plumbing is done yet so ignore the return pump that's just floped in there unsecured KIMG0555.jpg

Unread 07/17/2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well, the custom basement sump is pretty much done. Everything seems to be running well so far. Ats is producing algae, skimmer is skimming, frag tank is ready for frags, and pods are abundant in the pod tank

Unread 07/17/2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Dsekula
Registered Member

Apex will be coming this week but the next big project will be to turn this mess into one nice neat display.

Unread 07/17/2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Dsekula
Registered Member

@Kilich you asked for a look so here's my "rebuild" thread. Tks for reminding me I haven't updated in forever

Unread 07/17/2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Kilich
Registered Member

The reef is going on vacation and getting a new home

@Dsekulawow that’s quite a build, what’s your professional background? How’d you become so crafty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Dsekula
Registered Member

Right now I design build maintain water and wastewater treatment systems (private small business/ entrepreneur). My background is architectural, environmental, and chemial engineering from an education standpoint. From a pratical standpoint, I grew up working with my father flipping homes. I've always been the crafty type naturally, this hobby is both a blessing an a curse as an outlet to that.

Unread 07/17/2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Kilich
Registered Member

that makes a lot of sense, you are very savvy when it comes to the DIY, I wish i were that technically skilled!

haha, a curse because of spending money? I thought i'd go the cheap route this time around, but Ive already started dropping some money on my setup.

Unread 07/17/2018, 11:09 AM   #10
Dsekula
Registered Member

Time and money, and I get really technically involved. I sware as soon as I finish one thing I have an idea of how it could be done better..

There's tons of background prep work to do that too. sump, I installed water and drainage in the basement cleaned the 200yr old concrete floor and installed all those mats lol. Basically I put way more work into the basement than most people just to get that started.

Unread 07/17/2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Dsekula
Registered Member

I also end up spending a good deal of cash trying to prepare for every contingency lol. The guys on here are a great help in making the jump from wastewater design to aquariums. But talking with them I decided to do the new dt as a looped system and so far I spent about 300 on plumbing fittings. Just for an example

Unread 07/17/2018, 11:37 AM   #12
Kilich
Registered Member

I can see how it’s a blessing and a curse, the more you know technically, the more you can spend your money on

I know who to be asking for help when it comes to any engineering issues!

Unread 07/17/2018, 12:03 PM   #13
Dsekula
Registered Member

No problem ask away, if I don't know the answer usually I know someone who does

Unread 07/30/2018, 06:30 AM   #14
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well along with all the other work in progress some friends persuaded me to tons together a new sump tank (bottom one) so I could drill in the external pumps. Not that it took a lot of convincing
Here's some pics of the fabrication, water testing, and final placement. The lids still need to be finished and other minor adjustments (external pumps plumbed in). Overall the transfer went smooth and I'm loving the shorter depth for working in the sump.IMG811736452.jpgIMG1611775787.jpgIMG1961531987.jpg

Unread 08/06/2018, 12:44 AM   #15
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well sumps officially done and the external pumps are temporarily plumbed into the old tanks. I say temporarily because I will be changing the discharge from the pumps for the new build but the current setup can't take any more flow. The sumps pretty basic and rectangle but I had a little fun playing with internal cuts making the lids and plan on a similar lid design for the new dt. The last pic is my whole basement setup so you can see the new bottom tank is just the tail end.IMG1023862095.jpg

Unread 08/06/2018, 12:50 AM   #16
Dsekula
Registered Member

Since I'm doing an update I may as well post tonight's progress. Even though I worked super late today o decide to dive into building the form for the dt. I'm planning a bent acrylic build, already have the acrylic sitting here cut. So heres the form I made, I think it came out ok. It's all screwed together the tape just covers the screws for a little more peace of mind (don't want scratches). The forms down-side up btw, it's a drop off build. I've never bent anything nearly this large b4 so this should be fun!!KIMG0952.jpg

Unread 08/14/2018, 01:13 AM   #17
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well.... It's been exceedingly fun, but thankfully this part is over. All the bends are done overflow is bent and weirs cut in. Now I get to move on to cutting the bottoms and top pieces. And there's the little dropoff side but that's my least concern 🤣. Well given the scale of the project I'm happy with the progress and product so far.IMG1207390644.jpg

Unread 08/15/2018, 06:39 AM   #18
McPuff
Registered Member

Whoa, that is really cool! Really impressive build so far!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 11:34 PM   #19
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well I got the tank (minus the top) assembled. Quite frankly I'm not as good with Weldon 42 as I'd like to be (I don't use it that often) and I am now working on buffing the seams in so their not as noticable. But here's an update pic so far.

**There's water splashed all over from the wet sand before buffing it doesn't look quite that messy

Unread 08/21/2018, 11:42 PM   #20
Dsekula
Registered Member

Thank you!! I love diy everything as much as reefing, if not more. This will be a long drawn out build as I plan on making pretty much everything while also refinishing most of my house. I just hope the new tank fits perfectly in the newly renovated room once I'm done. Feel free to make suggestions, my 29 years of construction experience is great but I'm limited on my 2years of reefing knowledge and am really building mostly on others suggestions on how to achieve my end goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Whoa, that is really cool! Really impressive build so far!

Unread 08/28/2018, 09:30 PM   #21
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well here's an update.
I got my "fake" sand in, with flow in this tank I can see a sand bed being an issue. I plan on trying for a thin bed and some dsb bowl areas but wanted something so if sand gets blown around and there are bare spots or I find I just can't have it at all it will still look sandy. So I mixed West system 206 with sand to install a permanent solid sand bed. Hopefully I will have good results with this.KIMG0997.jpg

Unread 08/29/2018, 06:24 AM   #22
Bpb
Registered Member

Following. This thread needs more attention. I’ve not seen anyone pull off such a unique diy build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2018, 10:48 AM   #23
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Following along. That new sump looks much better than the mess you had before lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2018, 10:51 AM   #24
Preble
Registered Member

That’s a dope Tank, hurry up and get that bad boy running!

Current Tank Info: 50 mixed
Preble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 10:58 PM   #25
Dsekula
Registered Member

Well, it's been a while since I've done an update.
Works been busy and once all the big things are done in a build the end turns into all the small details (at least that's the way it happens for me).
There's a little cleaning up left but the tanks 99% there. I fit the top brace and lids with the equipment. I plan a heater and apex temp probe in the tank. The bulkheads are all plugged up so I can do a leak test tomorrow.
Wish me luck!KIMG1038.jpgKIMG1037.jpgKIMG1036.jpgKIMG1034.jpg