Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Greg Rothschild
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Doug
Reefkeeping Ninja

Excellent article!!!!!

Hi Greg,

Your article in the current issue of Reefkeeping Online is excellent!!!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Current Tank Info: 90g, and 75g swamp/prop tank.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2004, 10:09 AM   #2
gregr
Registered Member

thank you Doug
let's just hope it gets easier with practice

gregr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2004, 01:41 AM   #3
melev
Moved On

Greg, that was great. Not only did your article help me yet a little more with this hobby, but I found out that my Fuji has a whole other selection when in Manual mode! F 2.8 to 11 are my aperature values, but in M mode, I can switch my time from 15" (seconds) to 1/10,000.

I'm going to play around with some fish shots tomorrow with the onboard flash in M mode since I don't have an external one. I'm curious to see if I'll get some better shots - fish are so tough for me.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2004, 08:13 AM   #4
gregr
Registered Member

that's great. remember the flash exposure compensation- it's not uncommon at all for the cameras to overexpose shots when the flash is used.
and thanks

Unread 11/08/2004, 11:41 AM   #5
melev
Moved On

I'll be sure to watch my histogram to avoid blasting my subjects.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2004, 05:09 AM   #6
gho
Registered Member

Greg,

Very well done article. Short concise, and very informative. You should add it to your sticky in the photography forum. Some good info on flash photography too.

I love the shot of the tang and defocused background. Has some real depth to the photo.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Reef + 20gal sump, Shark Tank, 10gal Tropical, 10gal FOWLR Q, 10gal FW Q
gho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Bill Shultz
Registered Member

Hey Greg,
I also thought the article was excellent for many of the reasons that were already mentioned above.

Can you say a word about any method you have found useful for putting more light into the tank without buying expensive metal halide lights or using your camera's flash (the obvious options). I have always had some trouble adding more light into my tank for photography (in order to achieve the faster shutter speeds) becasuse I'm currently only using some pretty weak flourescent lighting that came with the tank.

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 55gal FOWLR marine with a 15gal sump, 10gal marine quarantine, 15gal freshwater
Bill Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2004, 12:23 PM   #8
gregr
Registered Member

thanks very much Gregory and Bill

Bill- the only thing i can think of is to try bringing some of your standard house lamps close to the tank but that will present some difficulties in terms of reflections and color balance. the lamps are tungsten light (3200 degrees Kelvin) and put out a very yellow light. mix that yellow with the blue of the flourescents and i'm not sure what your camera will come up with. it's certainly worth trying since the price is right
watch out for the reflections- with some luck though, you can manuever the camera around to find an angle that works.
greg

Unread 12/02/2004, 12:32 PM   #9
rottielover
Registered Member

I loved your artical, I think I speak for all reading it when I say "THANK YOU".

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here.... I have a Sony CyberShot Pro DSC-F828 and I purchased Sony's "close up lense" to go with it...

Do you have any tips/tricks when using attached lenses as a supplement to the "main lense" ?

Also if you can point me to a good training course or similar, I'd love to learn about how to use all my camera's features, without having to become a full time photographer

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Getting out of the hobby :(
rottielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2004, 07:43 PM   #10
gregr
Registered Member

you're very welcome- i'm glad you found it helpful.
gho has put together a whole bunch of excellent tutorials- find them here:
http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/index.html
for tutorials that are specific to the 828 i'm not sure, but as a starting point i'd suggest trying some [google etc] searches with the camera model number and "tutorials". if you find any good ones be sure to post the address here so others can find em.
greg

Unread 12/02/2004, 08:00 PM   #11
gho
Registered Member

For detailed information and tutorials on using the Sony DSC-F828, I highly recommend "The SONY Advanced Cyber-shot eBook" by Peter iNova.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Reef + 20gal sump, Shark Tank, 10gal Tropical, 10gal FOWLR Q, 10gal FW Q
gho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2004, 11:08 PM   #12
rottielover
Registered Member

Great, thank you for the reply's, Looks like I'll have plenty of reading to do for a while.

Current Tank Info: Getting out of the hobby :(
rottielover is offline   Reply With Quote