Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2012, 04:05 AM   #101
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Well another day and another day of the weekend spent towards my build =) fortunately today was a good day in progression =) as there was a lot accomplished!

Both STAND A & B are now completed (skeletal/frame wise) which now means that all the stands are complete, the stands are extremely strong capable of holding far more weight then they actually will be holding and they weigh quite a bit too. The only thing left to do now for the stands is to lay out some pine wood sheets on each level underneath each tank, then lay out some sheets of styrofoam in the same manner above the pine wood sheets but under the tanks, this will ensure a good flat, safe base for each tank.

The stands need to be painted which I will be doing tomorrow and they also require there "Hoods/Maintenance" which are just sheets of pine painted the same color as the stand (black) with stainless steel hinges.

Then the tanks can go on and be filled!

Here are some pics of the progression made today.

The left one is STAND A (2footers/600mm tanks) and the right one is STAND B (3footers/900mm tanks).

Here are all 3 stands clustered around in the workshop, STAND A in the rear, STAND B in the center and STAND C closest to the camera.

In order to ensure the correct dimensions were made (double checking) I decided to place all the tanks in STAND A & B within there stands just to check and get some pics =) (except for the 2 tanks on STAND C because we already know they fit).

STAND A - with tanks (front view)

STAND A - with tanks (side view)

STAND B - with tanks (front view)

STAND B - with tanks (side view)

Again there are no pics of STAND C with tanks yet because we didn't feel the need to "check" knowing that we compensated for space due to the Flat bar welded across, basically I need to get some foam (the high density foam with a sticky side (like tape) just to run along the inside of the flat bar to prevent it scraping the tanks on STAND C having said that STAND C and its tanks are the most interesting .

Much more to come =)

Unread 04/16/2012, 11:00 PM   #102
Sh0velman
Registered Member

Me gusta...

Sh0velman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2012, 11:43 PM   #103
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0velman View Post
Me gusta...
Say what ?

Unread 04/17/2012, 08:57 AM   #104
psohn703
Registered Member

it means "i like" in spanish. i must agree, i like too.

Current Tank Info: 36g mixed reef, 55g peacock, 15g tall zebra, 10g ciliata, 10g smithii, biocube 14 GT, evolve4 small mantis, and evolve8 nano reef.
psohn703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2012, 04:26 PM   #105
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by psohn703 View Post
it means "i like" in spanish. i must agree, i like too.
Fair Dinkum!

Unread 04/17/2012, 04:55 PM   #106
Sh0velman
Registered Member

إم جيلي...

(Im jelly)

Sh0velman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 05:25 AM   #107
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Its Friday. Its Friday. Its Friday.
This can only mean that your going to be working on the wild and wacky world fair of mantis extravaganza! Yea I like watching your progress. Did you place the tanks on stand 1 yet how do they look? Will I fall over and die with envy I bet I will. How do you finish the steel? Do you use auto paint or what kind of paint do you use if any?
Pix of your progress please.
I got a tank that’s coming in today I will be moving my little guy to it tonight Mwhahaha! If it comes in.

TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 04:43 AM   #108
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Although I would of liked to of got more done I was unable to do so due to bad timings... having said that I have managed to paint 6 of the 8 tanks the 6 tanks painted are for STAND A & B leaving just the 2 tanks on STAND C to be done.

In order to get a nice uniform coat of paint over the sides I desired (specifically the side which has a bulk head) I left the bulk heads in place and just painted over and around them, once the paint has dried after a couple of days I'll use a scalp and cut around the rim of the Bulk heads to get them off without peeling up the paint or taring a chunk of paint off in the process.

For some weird reason I keep buying things that I don't require RITE NOW lol for my current stage of the project xD and I after I realize it and the time I wasted going to the store to get it...At least there not wasted purchases, since it will all be used inevitably.

Painted tanks down the left (minus the 2 for STAND C) with the stands to be painted on the right.

STAND A top tank in view

Top Left tank is the Bottom tank for STAND A whilst the Top Right tank is the Middle tank for STAND A. Bottom Left tank is the Top tank for STAND B and the Bottom Left tank is the Middle tank for STAND B.

I ran out of paint on the 6 tanks had 1L lol...

Unread 04/25/2012, 07:32 AM   #109
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Hey I was going to tell you with the size of your builds you should think about painting the tanks with a product called Plasti Dip. The cool part about this stuff is that it dries in 45 mins and is a rubber material when done i.e. if you do not like it or just want to change the color all you must do is peel it away from the glass. I first used it on my truck rims and have now found a million and one uses. I love that you can just peel it off. The stuff is way stronger then you think can take some abuse but still comes off when you want it to.

You never know when you’ll get that animal in that looks better with a blue back drop of white or whatever so just a suggestion. I love logging on to see the new pix of your progress.

Unread 04/25/2012, 07:50 AM   #110
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

FIY dude you can also use this stuff on clear acrylic tubes and peel away sections when the mantis is molting to see in to the cave. I know you’ll be able to put that tip to good use and get some great mid molt shots without disrupting the mantis cave structure/safety. Look into it. I wait about 3 to 6 hours before adding it to the tank water but have seen no problems so far.

Unread 04/25/2012, 05:41 PM   #111
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Now that I have started the painting I feel compelled to paint everything (that needs painting) with the same paint from the same store to keep it all uniform (its not actually black but 'Nightsky' really really dark blue).

Unread 04/26/2012, 05:07 AM   #112
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Cool man cool. I like the texture to it.

Unread 04/26/2012, 07:32 AM   #113
Kharn
MANTISMAN

One of the things that has been brought up on a local forum that has sparked my interest is "MarinePure" for those unaware they are basically bricks used as a substitute to Live Rock for a tank. One of the good things I see in these things is that due to there uniform shape it would be easy to create unique "mountains" of them in each system or keep each "mountain" of them uniform within STAND A & B (none for STAND C).

It would increase my chances on getting photographic opportunities but at the same time it would be easy to create starter burrows for each mantis within the blocks and facing said burrow in the best viewing position.

When I first saw the blocks I instantly thought they would be awesome for a Mantis too live in also they would make decent flat areas for frags and once algae/age gets a hold of the blocks they will virtually blend in.

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

Just a thought is all.

EDIT: At the same time I am more incline to take a Hole Saw drill bit to a nice sized "center piece" of Live Rock for each system for the own individual looks and at the same time a much cheaper option xD

Last edited by Kharn; 04/26/2012 at 07:40 AM.
Kharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 08:43 PM   #114
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I am sick of painting xD and I still need to paint the stands this weekend tanks are basically done although I know there are areas that need a touch up so I will do that once the tanks are IN the stand in IN place rite before I fill them.

This weekend I planned on painting the stands, today I will order all the Poly Fittings I need to connect each tank to the next in each stand along with the fittings required to make the 2 diffusers that will be utilized in STAND A & B to reduce the flow from the FX5 going into the first chambers for each stand.

Its expensive stuff poly pipe!

To give you an idea (I need many more parts then just this)....I need 8, 300mm Long x 32mm dia Black Poly Risers..... for just the 8 of those small plastic lengths of tubing is......$146 LOL......... but, there will be no denying that in the end even the damn plumbing on this system is going to look mighty fine =)

Unread 05/03/2012, 05:42 AM   #115
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Progress!
Slowest build ever!
Ok that’s just an exaggeration cus I want to see the mantis multiplex up and running. Keep up the good work bro.

Unread 05/06/2012, 03:57 AM   #116
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Progress =D

All the tanks and all the stands are now completely painted!

Things left too do:

Get Styrofoam sheets cut to the under side of each tank to place beneath each tank (on top of the thin ply wood sheets I have, the ply will rest on the steel frame).

Some 5-10mm thick planks of wood to act as hoods on hinges to go above each tank and the stainless steel hinges to go with them.

Some rubber feet which I inted to cut from a big sheet of rubber that we got laying around at work, its about 10mm thick and these squares will sit under the feet of each stand to help even it out.

As far as hanging the lights go, I just intend to use hooks that will slot into the eye holes already on the LED's because the LED's are so light there shouldn't be a problem with weight.

Also more importantly rite now, I need to get the Poly Fittings required to connect each tank within there stand along with the Poly Fittings to make the DIY difusers that will be running in STAND A & B.

After all that (pritty sure I covered whats left) .... =) Substrate + Live Rock + Water, then let it cycle!

More to come =D

Unread 05/06/2012, 11:22 PM   #117
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Not sure if I showed this picture but it is the design of my DIY FX5 DIFUSER which will be utilized to hopefully slow the water down enough so as to not cause too much of a problem for the first chamber that the canisters outlets will be placed within STAND A & B (STAND C won't be a problem with the standard outlet canister fittings).

Here is the plan its quite simple and hopefully the picture speaks for itself I just hope as I said it does the job that I have intended but I have a backup plan even then and it will all be tested before being put to use, I have gone with Black Poly pipe because it screws together and more importantly it being black and my tanks rear wall and both sides being black will hopefully allow the Poly in the tank to seemingly blend into the backgrounds making it far less noticeable compared to the bright white color of PVC.

The black outlining represents the tank as if looking through a side (although you can't do that since my sides are painted), basically the FX5 is behind the tank and the diffuser will hang off the back wall running along a side of the tank, towards the front of the tank.

Should have this built by Friday just waiting on the parts to be sent up.

Unread 05/07/2012, 08:45 AM   #118
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Your running the flow to the top tanks then this water from the top tanks drains to the lower tanks and from the lowest tank to the FX5? Is that the idea? I am still wondering how you’re going to keep from making bubbles from the top tanks drains. Do I have it right?

Unread 05/07/2012, 03:34 PM   #119
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
Your running the flow to the top tanks then this water from the top tanks drains to the lower tanks and from the lowest tank to the FX5? Is that the idea? I am still wondering how you’re going to keep from making bubbles from the top tanks drains. Do I have it right?
You are correct, as far as the bubbles go I'll just have to wait and see what it looks like once all connected, Top tank drains into middle tank on stand then middle tank drains to the bottom tank then the FX5 sucks water out of the bottom tank redistributing it in the top tank.

To be honest I haven't really thought about the bubbles too much xD

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:00 AM   #120
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Metal stand + bubbles = maybe not such a good thing. I was just trying to trouble shoot before a possible problem. But I know your more then up to the challenge.

You know every time I see you posted something new to this thread I get existed thinking yea here comes a video of the a lasso. Now I am aware its hard to post a video missing a hand.

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:06 AM   #121
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
Metal stand + bubbles = maybe not such a good thing. I was just trying to trouble shoot before a possible problem. But I know your more then up to the challenge.

You know every time I see you posted something new to this thread I get existed thinking yea here comes a video of the a lasso. Now I am aware its hard to post a video missing a hand.
Metal Stand + Bubbles = ???

Are you referring to possible rust on the stand ? (If so please remember that the stand is well painted with multiple coats and a primer undercoat).

Beyond that I am not sure by what you mean....

Unread 05/08/2012, 08:12 AM   #122
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

I know you know what your doing. I in the past had an issue with bubbles in my sump popping and splashing creep on a metal stand I was using this did not appear to be a problem till I took down the stand after a couple years and noted holes that had been rusted away into the stand. I thought I painted it well enough but found out this was not the case.

The FX5 runs in the 925 gph when running ideally. Your running this to the top of the tank then allowing it to drop from one tear to the next I was thinking if I build something of this nature I would build small overflow boxes in the top corner of the tank with 3 drain pipes each. One would serve as an emergency the second would have a valve to set a siphon feed to the next tear and the third would have a dorso to feed any excess off the siphon to the next tear. This would be the bean animal method. People are always terrified by using a valve but the fact is this is safer than a normal overflow when built correctly. I have used a few of them now for years and can say no drain is as silent as these, they also produce zero micro bubbles when dialed in, the drain can be aimed for flow in the next tank, and the overflow box can be made smaller then you think as long as you can fit the two (dorso and the valve drain) elbows and only the elbows the rest of the plumbing is exturnal. The emergency can be placed outside the box for it serves only the purpose of allowing drainage in the event of the other two failing. This has yet to happen to me. Having the ability to actively use your drain to create the flow for lower tanks may put you in a position of using less power heads i.e. less power heads equals less power draw and equipment to clean and less plugs to deal with.

I have a feeling what you’re going to run into using your current design is a constant water gargle sound from each drain and micro bubbles from each drain into the lower tank. Now micro bubbles are not a big deal only minor affecting the clarity of the water below. My fear however is on a system using no protein skimmer if a snail is killed by one of your smashers this increase in hydrophobic molecules released by the dying animal will move through the water to a place where air and water are churning i.e. your drains. This may be an extreme over thinking on my part but what I hypothesis is post drains your going to get a foam fractionation affect causing a buildup of nasty nog. This nog will of cores end up in the lowest level tanks due to your having up turned elbows. This may be a minor issue that I have way over thought but I figured I would share with you my thoughts.

I am so jealous that you get to build this in your home. One day my friend I will be able to follow in your footsteps. By then I am hoping you stumble on the tricks to make breeding mantis a piece of cake.

Last edited by TundraGuy; 05/08/2012 at 08:21 AM.
Unread 05/08/2012, 08:29 AM   #123
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufq3VnRCXK8
Turn up the volume watch the entire video.
Note the sound your hearing is the house being out of the water in the sump once he moves it under water there is no noise. Also note the huge volume of water coming from the drain with the valve. Also note you can see no micro bubbles in the sump or the main tank. I have no idea what his flow is but it’s high. I know in the past the max flow I used was 3800 gph out of a 1” pipe. I know your almost to the point of having this thing plumbed up and running so your energy is getting low but your excitement must be growing. I just see you running into the wall with the bubble thing and saying “I’ll live with it.” But trust me you do not have to. Now the reality is this will coast more money out of your pocket and more time out of your day to get started but in the long run you’ll save yourself a lot of time money get a better overall viewing experience.

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:46 PM   #124
Kharn
MANTISMAN

FX5 DIY Difusers are now IN

Here is an example of how it will look, still needs the 32mm threaded end to have holes drilled in it to allow the water to exit.

More to come as I hook them up and test them.

Unread 05/09/2012, 05:21 AM   #125
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

I think thats going to be cool