Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2007, 01:01 PM   #1
lowendmelody
Moved On

Question I need opinions for Hang on skimmers, please share your thoughts...

I have a 125 gallon reef tank that is still pretty young.... I do not utilize a sump, I will be adding a hang on refugium in the near future. I currintly use a Prizm Pro Deluxe hang on skimmer .The one rated for up to three hundred gallons. By no means would I expect this model to be able to handle a tank that size, but I figured it could handle my 125 gallon with only 10 smaller sized fish, meaning less than 3 inches or so.

However, I know there are much better hangon models out there, and I would like to purchase a better model in the near future..... are there any that are not so wide?....

I mean, I have done some research on some of them out there, but I'm more interested in experienced opinions, those are always the best... isn't that one of the reasons we come to ReefCentral

lowendmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2007, 01:11 PM   #2
DOTZ
Registered Member

There are mods to do to the prizim to make it a very worth while skimmer. I modded mine and the new production is amazing. The only down side is you have to remesh mod it once a month or once everyother month, because the mesh gets clogged with gunk and wont suck in air, however, I think that problem can be fixed with a different mesh. I have been meaning to try a different mesh, but hav'nt got around to it yet so I can't garenty that will fix it. Here is a link to my thread on the mod, but all praise goes to Joshua1023 for his thread here on RC.http://www.livingreefs.com/forums/li...-w-prizim.html

DOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Craig Lambert
Premium Member

With that size tank you should really consider adding a sump. It would open up a world of choices as far as skimmers go. It would also allow you to hide heaters, probes etc and make your tank look better. The increased water would add to stability of your system as well.

Most HOB skimmers are worthless on a tank that size. The only one I would consider for a 125G tank is this one:

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/mce600.php

Current Tank Info: 75G Tank, 29G Sump, 100lbs LR, AquaC EV-180, Iwaki MD-20RT return Tunze nano streams 4X54 t-5/Icecap Ballast & SLR's 2x110 vho actinic
Craig Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2007, 01:50 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Agree on sump, but if you can't do one there are better options than your prizm.
A coralife super skimmer 220 would do well as a budget skimmer.
Tunze doc's work well.
The deltec would be great, but not cheap, but that's a skimmer that would be a keeper even if you add a sump later.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2007, 01:54 PM   #5
FishAreFriends2
Registered Member

Deltec or Bermuda Rogue

FishAreFriends2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2007, 12:44 AM   #6
lowendmelody
Moved On

bump........any other opinions to share with me..........

lowendmelody is offline   Reply With Quote